• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

loz1310

Morning all, this is all new to me (forums).

After many years of yoyo dieting, losing and then putting it all back on and some. My doctors referred me to my local dietician after a year with them they recommended I was put forward for the surgery.
I'm not sure how far or what tier I am in all honesty. My first appointment was in April at Luton and Dunstable and my 2nd was 30th June where I saw the nurse to have my bloods done and I believe the anaesthetist who went through what procedures they offer. I had my 3rd appointment in August where I saw the dietician , psychologist and the head nurse. I was told they all had a meeting after seeing me and they collectively made a decision whether or not I have the surgery. I got a phone call from the dietician 2 weeks ago to advise me when to start the milk diet. I'm currently on my 2nd week of the milk diet which is for four weeks and my next appointment on the 3rd October I will update after the appointment.
The milk diet? wow I never new I could drink so much milk :) I've lost 1 stone in my first week and struggled a little over the weekend, but did come through it. I've put it on a countdown on my phone and have 22 days left. I'm ok on it although I do struggle with the toilet.
After finding this forum I was relieved to find people who where wither on the same journey as me or are further ahead. I was very apprehensive until I discovered this group. I can't tell you how happy I am to read and hear of others on the same journey. My husband is very good and supporting me although this passed week has been the hardest for both of us. He tries not to eat in front of me and although this weekend I cooked a batch of food for him it was really hard but I did it! :)
Hope to hear from others to help me through the process.
x

SAM55

Welcome. It sounds like you are doing really well. :) Would suggest you take a laxative if not already doing so as it can be a problem afterwards for a few weeks too. Keep drinking lots of water.

There are lots of L&D people on here, so I am sure someone will pop up to say hi.

x.Nicky.x

Good luck hun, this forum is an amazing support and answers many questions you may have.

Your doing great on preop diet, cannot wait to hear how it goes.

Xxxx

loz1310

Good luck hun, this forum is an amazing support and answers many questions you may have.

Your doing great on preop diet, cannot wait to hear how it goes.

Xxxx
Thank you, I don't think I'm close to having the op yet. I think this maybe a trial run. I really have no clue I'll ask more questions on my next visit. Hopefully I'll understand it more x

loz1310

Welcome. It sounds like you are doing really well. :) Would suggest you take a laxative if not already doing so as it can be a problem afterwards for a few weeks too. Keep drinking lots of water.

There are lots of L&D people on here, so I am sure someone will pop up to say hi.

Thank you x

Sunshine99

Hi @loz1310 , And ...welcome to the forum.
Your doing soo well on the milk diet, I have to admit I was struggling on it....but 3 days in ....And, I'm ok with it now.
But ...I only have to do it for a week (York Hospital)
I never did a trial to see if I could do it, or not either. Looking back...I wish I had done.

Well, wishing you all the best on your journey.

Good Luck.

Toni :rainbow:

loz1310

Thank you Toni,

I noticed you've had your surgery quite recently? How are you getting on? Its the gastric bypass I'm having

Lorraine x

Sunshine99

Thank you Toni,

I noticed you've had your surgery quite recently? How are you getting on? Its the gastric bypass I'm having

Lorraine x
It should have been on the 4th Sept, But got cancelled on the day....Was all in gown waiting too. At first they didn't have a bed available for me, Then when they did, they ran out of time....because the patient before me took longer than expected.

My new date is the 18th of Sept. And , I'm having Gastric Bypass & my Galbladder removal.
I'm not nervous....more excited at mo. Just hope it's not cancelled again! Lol

Toni :rainbow:

Bling Babe

Hi
Welcome to a great forum, I'm also at L and D, it sounds like your being assessed for 6 months (if your on NHS) and this 4 week milk diet is to confirm your committed, confirm you can tolerate a high protein diet and to help you loose 5% of your body weight which has to be done before you can move to the next step, my assessment was a year (it depends on your BMI) but I have not seen the anaesthetist yet, I see him and the surgeon on November 9th so hoping to get a date soon. It's a long journey with many hoops to jump through but that's not a bad thing as it gives you a chance to fully understand and research what your going to be up against after surgery.
Good luck and please keep in touch xx

Maria61

Morning all, this is all new to me (forums).

After many years of yoyo dieting, losing and then putting it all back on and some. My doctors referred me to my local dietician after a year with them they recommended I was put forward for the surgery.
I'm not sure how far or what tier I am in all honesty. My first appointment was in April at Luton and Dunstable and my 2nd was 30th June where I saw the nurse to have my bloods done and I believe the anaesthetist who went through what procedures they offer. I had my 3rd appointment in August where I saw the dietician , psychologist and the head nurse. I was told they all had a meeting after seeing me and they collectively made a decision whether or not I have the surgery. I got a phone call from the dietician 2 weeks ago to advise me when to start the milk diet. I'm currently on my 2nd week of the milk diet which is for four weeks and my next appointment on the 3rd October I will update after the appointment.
The milk diet? wow I never new I could drink so much milk :) I've lost 1 stone in my first week and struggled a little over the weekend, but did come through it. I've put it on a countdown on my phone and have 22 days left. I'm ok on it although I do struggle with the toilet.
After finding this forum I was relieved to find people who where wither on the same journey as me or are further ahead. I was very apprehensive until I discovered this group. I can't tell you how happy I am to read and hear of others on the same journey. My husband is very good and supporting me although this passed week has been the hardest for both of us. He tries not to eat in front of me and although this weekend I cooked a batch of food for him it was really hard but I did it! :)
Hope to hear from others to help me through the process.
x
Hi and welcome. As everyone says this is a very helpful forum where all encouragement and support is given. I too am at L&D and am due my gastric bypass next Tuesday. I started around the same time as Bling who is my greatest support but I only had to do tier 3 for six months as my starting BMI was over 50. I am on the milk diet again and looking forward to getting the operation over. Good luck to you xxx

loz1310

Hi and welcome. As everyone says this is a very helpful forum where all encouragement and support is given. I too am at L&D and am due my gastric bypass next Tuesday. I started around the same time as Bling who is my greatest support but I only had to do tier 3 for six months as my starting BMI was over 50. I am on the milk diet again and looking forward to getting the operation over. Good luck to you xxx

Hi,

Thank you.

Next week? Wow! please keep me updated. How long after you met the surgeons did you get your date?

I called L&D this week and asked a few questions. One of them was to ask what happens next as I was unsure. On my next appointment if I've hit the target they gave me when I phoned I will move onto tier 4 and meet the surgeon and anathesistist. Not sure how long for the surgery date I will wait but I know I will be feeling how you are now.

Good luck xx

loz1310

Hi
Welcome to a great forum, I'm also at L and D, it sounds like your being assessed for 6 months (if your on NHS) and this 4 week milk diet is to confirm your committed, confirm you can tolerate a high protein diet and to help you loose 5% of your body weight which has to be done before you can move to the next step, my assessment was a year (it depends on your BMI) but I have not seen the anaesthetist yet, I see him and the surgeon on November 9th so hoping to get a date soon. It's a long journey with many hoops to jump through but that's not a bad thing as it gives you a chance to fully understand and research what your going to be up against after surgery.
Good luck and please keep in touch xx

Hi Bling babe,

Yes you are absolutely right :) I wasn't sure where I was or why I was doing it hence why I phoned them and they confirmed everything you said. I think I was so blown away with everything when I went I didn't take it in, I'm sure I would've been told. If I reach the target weight they gave me when I phoned the dietician said the next step is to meet the surgeon and the anaesthetist.

I've been totally committed but struggled a little with the toilet however, all sorted now lol.

Thank you for replying. Look forward to updates from you on your journey too

xx

Maria61

Hi I
Hi,

Thank you.

Next week? Wow! please keep me updated. How long after you met the surgeons did you get your date?

I called L&D this week and asked a few questions. One of them was to ask what happens next as I was unsure. On my next appointment if I've hit the target they gave me when I phoned I will move onto tier 4 and meet the surgeon and anathesistist. Not sure how long for the surgery date I will wait but I know I will be feeling how you are now.

Good luck xx
When I started tier 4 I met a surgeon, not a bariatric surgeon, just before Christmas to assess my fitness for surgery. Then heard nothing until March when I had the MDT meeting which is a 3 hour group session with bariatric nurse, dietician and psychologist. I saw the surgeon and anaesthetist in June where I got my operation date for 19 September. I have to say the time has gone by very quickly really. I hope this helps xxx