• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Newly post op? Post your daily food intake here

Amazing, yet some hospitals insist you stay on liquids for the first couple of weeks. Have you had any problems eating mashed food so soon? Certainly interested in this as my team expect 4 weeks pre-op liquid diets so once I've had the bypass I want to be off liquids asap lol

I just make sure i eat slowly, haven't had an issue yet....just make sure it is mashed really smooth with no big lumps.
I just figured if that is what they are giving you in the hospital it should be ok at home lol
You are on clear fluids staright after the op in hospital and then your surgeon will say when to start you on the bariatric menu.

I can only assume the band is different, that maybe your stomach be swollen smaller where the band is placed making it harder for anything other than liquid to go through?

Hi,

Well St Richards say to have puree'd and mashed food. Everything has too be very soft and they tell you to chew well and eat slowly until full. Ive not had a problem yet well apart from trapped wind but I am eating small amounts at each mealtime and taking it steady. We also have to take an Anti Acid tablet every morning and our tanzipan (like heprin) injections at night (I am self administering and have 12 left, it's not too bad)

Thanks

Paula XX

Our team have you straight on to purees for 3-4 weeks and then there are three more stages to work through, gradually building up texture as you feel more comfortable.
I've gone through my stages quite quickly i think as i have had no problems and am now eating final stage foods such as raw fruit / veg and meat. The only things left for me to try are rice, pasta and toast. I'm a bit nervous about these but intend to try them next week.
Interesting that so many surgeons put people on a course of anticoagulant injections. I had one on each of the three days in hospital and that was it. When i asked my surgeon why he said it promotes better internal healing and as long as i wore the dreaded stockings for a month and kept active i would be okay. Thank god, i don't think i could have self injected !

Today i've had:
20g of cornflakes and ss milk for breakfast
almost a full muller light for lunch
50g chicken escalope with mushroom sauce, 6 carrot sticks and 1 broccoli floret for tea
I intend to have a bag of ww cheese puffs at suppertime as i feel in need of a treat

I've drank 250mls fresh orange, 250mls skimmed milk, mug of tea, 250mls of nas cordial and will have a hot choc later - so all in all about 1400mls of fluid - still need to get more in but its better than previous days

I wouldn't of fancied being on pureed for 12 weeks!!

My surgeon recommends 3 weeks on liquids, 2 weeks on pureed then 2 weeks on mashed.

I sort of turned my last week on liquids into the pureed stage as I felt fine. I'm now on 'normal' stuff, it's so great to be able to chew & fell the texture of your food.

I'm going to try and stay away from bread, rice & pasta as simple carbs got me in to the size I was, so if I can do with out them then I'm going to try.

Ok 17 days post op and just 11 more days of sloppy foods for me then start re introducing normal foods week 4/6 and cant wait :):)
Was very worried bout not getting any where enough protein so now i have started having a protein shake started this morning.

Breaky : Mint choc protein shake = 35 grms protein

Lunch: Shape fuller yoghurt and a banana - 9grms protein

Dinner: 4 mini swedish meat balls and 1 tbs mash = 4 grms protein

Fluids : 1.5 ltr nas squash

Last edited:
Today i've had:
20g cornflakes and ss milk (115cals)
1 slice of corned beef and brown sauce (pure laziness !)(100cals)
bag of ww crisps (71cals)
50g fish pie with roasted peppers, mushroom and onions (will say 200 cals to be on the safe side)
and intend to eat some tinned pineapple later (100cals)

900mls nas cordial
1 mug of tea
1mug of horlicks

i know they tell you to stay away from protein shakes but personally i think what the hell, it all helps lol

especially helps with it being half price in Holland & Barrett at the moment :D

Yesterdays Menu
Milky Coffee,
B - 1 Egg omlette with 1/2 slice mexican cheese
Milky Coffee,
L - 1/4 Chicken Breast with broccoli, cauliflower &
Tarragon gravy
1 small banana
1 Orange
2 x mini protein muffins – Banana & Walnut,
T - Mixed seafood salad
2.5 Ltrs water with NAS juice

2 x mini protein muffins – Banana & Walnut,

ok now THEY sound nice!
do you buy them or make them?
wanna send me the recipe if they are home made hehe:D

As for what i am eating at the moment:
Breakfast is usually 1/2 weetabix with milk & sweetner
Lunch is scrambled egg with cheese
Dinner is either soup or mash potato & cheese

Snacks are Onken fat free yogurts
occasionally i have a small smoothie or protein shake

Fluids are milk and flavoured mineral water and the odd cup of tea :)

Hi Michelle

there's an american site called the world according to egg face.

She had her bypass in 2006 and there are a ton of recipes on there. She makes things like protein ice cream, protein donuts. I just really fancied a cake this weekend so set about baking, they are really easy and take about 12 mins to cook.

Amazing, yet some hospitals insist you stay on liquids for the first couple of weeks. Have you had any problems eating mashed food so soon? Certainly interested in this as my team expect 4 weeks pre-op liquid diets so once I've had the bypass I want to be off liquids asap lol

I had my bypass on the 9th and my surgeon came to see me mid afternoon on the 10th and said I could have a pureed meal for tea if I felt like it which was about 22 hours post op, I was amazed as expected to be on liquids for a few days at least

Hi Michelle

there's an american site called the world according to egg face.

She had her bypass in 2006 and there are a ton of recipes on there. She makes things like protein ice cream, protein donuts. I just really fancied a cake this weekend so set about baking, they are really easy and take about 12 mins to cook.

haha eggface :D
awesome will have to find it and check it out thanks :)

Ok here is yesterday's food,
B couple of tablespoons of yogurt
L 200ml Cream of tomato soup
D Pureed beef casserole
S Petit filou

I think is is so strange all the different stages vary so much from hospital to hospital
Ok enough of that here is todays food

B Petit filou
L 200ml cream of tomato soup
D pureed beef casserole
S petit filou
Drinks tea, water & Ribena extra light squash

Ok am 24 days post op and still on sloppy stage but so looking forward to being 4 weeks and go on to solids as i hate sloppys.
Here is my food intake for today.

Breaky: 1/2 individual portion of porridge
Lunch: 1 protein shake with 1/2 banana
Dinner: 1 muller yog with 1/2 banana

Fluids: 1tr plus 2 cups of water with my movicol.

Ok just 2 days till i am 4 weeks post op and now starting to re introduce solids into my diet and cant wait :) also trying my best now to get more protein in but at the mo cant manage more than 5/6 tsp of any food at any sitting, which is weird.

Breaky : Protein shake 35 grms protein
Lunch: 6 tsp of minced lamb, peas and mushrooms in a tom sauce
Dinner: 100 grms of pineaple cottage cheese 9 grms protein

Snack: 100grms of 0% fat free greek yoghurt and some raspberries 9grms protein

Total protein : 53 grms, not 2 bad but have not included my protein from dinner as have no idea and also my milk from my protein shake,but dont think will have mince again for lunch think might replace it with something high protein

Fluids 1.5 lts of nas, 3 mugs of water with my movicol and 200 mls of ss milk with protein shake.

Back