• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

News

This is to be expected, as the amount of wls performed goes up so will the claims I imagine. Every aspect of NHS surgery has claims going against it and if the pain and suffering is caused by lack of care (not just by the surgeon but by the pre/aftercare staff), inadequate diagnostics, incompetence or being performed by juniors rather than appropriately trained staff then this should be addressed especially for the sakes of others going after him. I know given the current climate that everyone is worried about future funding and its a genuine concern, but I doubt it will have any implications on whether the surgery is offered in the future or not (you would be surprised to know how much they already pay out in compensation through negligence). The gentleman will only have a claim if he can prove that his care was negligent not that he reacted badly to it or his body had problems with it. His solicitors will assess his claim by getting neutral medical opinion and decide whether he has a claim so it may fall by the wayside (as around 50% of them do). Another aspect of claims against the NHS is it makes them look at their practices and whether they need to be changed/updated which can only be a good thing. I'm not anti-NHS in any way (they do a fantastic job 99.9% of the time) but I see every day the heart rending stories of people that are suffering needlessly and in a lot of cases dying and leaving young families behind when this could be avoided with more monitoring/care due to time restaints and overwork.

Last edited:
I agree. My point for mentioning Scott was that even after all that has gone 'wrong' with his surgery, he still doesn't regret having weight loss surgery. All surgery whether minor or major, comes with risk & we need to weigh up the risks of us having bypass against those for not having surgery.

Without even a second to think about it I would opt for my bypass!!! Just have to hope Mr Cameron doesn't do summit to hamper my op in November!!! If he does you'll probably hear on the news about a fat lass trying to assassinate him!! ;) :)

Sounds like he has a stricture and hasnt done much about it. Hes been offered remedial surgery. Its something we all know can happen and isnt as far as I can see due to any errors.

Great point!

The bad stories make far better press & its just a 'fabulous' coincidence this comes with the recent bad publicity of wls.

The fact he has been offered remedial surgery but prefers to sue just shows the way in which this world is turning! We all go into this surgery with our eyes wide open, there are huge risks but we decide to take them & deal with the consequences!

There must be thousands of people who have also had no problems afterwards.... its the law of averages!

Ive got to be honest here guys, this really annoys me. It sounds like this is a problem that can occur but becuase it isnt easy for him, he wants money. and he will probabily get it at a cost to others who need surgery.
Where as others, like my mum who broke her arm and had an operation to fix it, had a cardiac arrest Hand written "print outs" from machienes that dont tell the real story and so many complications afterwards that 15 years later she still cant even walk, gets nothing - not even an apology becuase they fudged so many of her records and no one knows what is true anymore.

Very true PurpleKylie!! Unfortunately we are getting like America & their attitude of where there's blame there's a claim, ambulance chasers etc.

I WANT this op & will live the consequences if there are any complications...

I too want it and if you look at the list of complications, it does include "Death" - 1 in every 100 can die. Anyone undergoing this needs to know that it isnt going to be easy and there can and possabily will be complications.

I also met Tim Daily at Charing cross in the surgeons waiting area. I had to sit and listen to a very public broadcast about his by-pass experience. By the time I got into the surgeon's office I was almost in tears. I so badly needed this surgery to save my life. I was already scared and I didn't need any more pressure to add to my concerns. However I did explain to everyone there that I could die without this surgery so no one was going to change my mind. This experience only added great concern for my husband who was already worried sick about me.

While I agree it is important to share your experience be it good or bad there is a correct way to go about it. For me to learn about Mr. Daily's problems in this manner was not helpful to me and my husband.

I feel very sorry for Mr Daily as he is having health problems and I wish him well. His surgeon is a world leading expert and I would feel completly safe in his care.

Charing cross take their time to access patients. This all takes time. It was made very clear to me about the possible risks of this surgery.

I had my surgery at Charing Cross and I can't fault them in any way shape or form and the after care has been second to none. I know my team are always at the end of the phone if I have any worries. I can highly recommend Charing cross hospital, they saved my life. My life is now amazing and I am so grateful to them for everything.

I wish Mr. Daily well and good health.

I also met Tim Daily at Charing cross in the surgeons waiting area. I had to sit and listen to a very public broadcast about his by-pass experience. By the time I got into the surgeon's office I was almost in tears. I so badly needed this surgery to save my life. I was already scared and I didn't need any more pressure to add to my concerns. However I did explain to everyone there that I could die without this surgery so no one was going to change my mind. This experience only added great concern for my husband who was already worried sick about me.

While I agree it is important to share your experience be it good or bad there is a correct way to go about it. For me to learn about Mr. Daily's problems in this manner was not helpful to me and my husband.

I feel very sorry for Mr Daily as he is having health problems and I wish him well. His surgeon is a world leading expert and I would feel completly safe in his care.

Charing cross take their time to access patients. This all takes time. It was made very clear to me about the possible risks of this surgery.

I had my surgery at Charing Cross and I can't fault them in any way shape or form and the after care has been second to none. I know my team are always at the end of the phone if I have any worries. I can highly recommend Charing cross hospital, they saved my life. My life is now amazing and I am so grateful to them for everything.

I wish Mr. Daily well and good health.

Couldn't have said it better myself Sarah. I become very defensive when it comes to Charing X and their fantastic team. They have also changed my life forever and I wouldn't think twice about doing it all over again. xx

As you may remember from my case I had spent years fighting for funding. The consultant at my local hospital had agreed that I need this surgery but sadly I couldn't get passed the PCT for funding. I use to go to bed at night and have no desire to wake up in the morning due to my poor health and the way I was being neglected by certain sections of the NHS. I couldn't see any hope.

When I come here I could cry when I read the threads on this forum. Sometimes I have to step back as my emotions are still raw from my struggle.

At the end of the day it was only the TRUE caring professional attitude of the Charing cross team who took me under their care and made my life worth living again. I thank God everyday for the help I received from Charing cross Hospital. I can not say enough good things about them. God bless them for all they do for us people who so badly need the surgery.

For those waiting for funding ... I say... Please don't give up your fight for funding. It took me a long time but there is help out there. The government now agree that this surgery will save them money in the long run. Things seem to be running slower but there is greater demand at the moment.

As you may remember from my case I had spent years fighting for funding. The consultant at my local hospital had agreed that I need this surgery but sadly I couldn't get passed the PCT for funding. I use to go to bed at night and have no desire to wake up in the morning due to my poor health and the way I was being neglected by certain sections of the NHS. I couldn't see any hope.

When I come here I could cry when I read the threads on this forum. Sometimes I have to step back as my emotions are still raw from my struggle.

At the end of the day it was only the TRUE caring professional attitude of the Charing cross team who took me under their care and made my life worth living again. I thank God everyday for the help I received from Charing cross Hospital. I can not say enough good things about them. God bless them for all they do for us people who so badly need the surgery.

For those waiting for funding ... I say... Please don't give up your fight for funding. It took me a long time but there is help out there. The government now agree that this surgery will save them money in the long run. Things seem to be running slower but there is greater demand at the moment.

Well said, for me this surgery is the only light visible at the end of the longest of tunnels. I had my appointment with the surgeon on Wednesday and finally got my surgery date. All the risks were explained to me and I was asked to confirm the risks back to the surgeon as confirmation that I had understood what had been said (something he suggested was a recent suggestion by the NHS litigation authority). These risks were also written onto the consent form. I accept the risks because right now what I do every day could not be called living.

For me like many others here, this is a rare chance for a new beginning. This sites value is immeasurable and provides guidance and support to many, including me. Your comment about fighting for funding is true and those who have arrived at this point should take all the advice available here to assist them with that fight. xx :)

When we have our operation's we all know the possible risks of our surgery`s which ever they may be and we still choose to go ahead, knowing their could be risks but in my eyes their r many more risks staying at the weight i was.
The majority of people sail right through their bypass without any problems but we dont hear about them in the news just the ones who have had horrific problems.
I do have a lot of compassion for anyone who has had complications from their wls but they are just a small minority and i really hope that any peeps waiting for surgery at any hospital do not get worried and scared and decide to not go ahead because of the negative stories, if you have any worries at all pls speak to your team or post on here and i am sure u will get the reassurance you need to put your mind at ease about ur surgery.

10 months ago i was 27.13 housebound, in chronic pain and barely left the house and on mega strong opiate medication (oxycontin 100mg daily) i was merely existing not living.
I must admit i have had quite a few complications none life threatening thank god but have spent just under 3 weeks in hospital in the past 6 weeks and tbh had complications quite early on and still have problems and a good chance i will need my bypass revised in the next few weeks if my 3rd endoscopy and stretch (in the past 4 weeks) does not do the job, and i spent 12 days in mega pain on continual morphine to control the pain, but no matter what i am sooooo thankful that i was given the chance to have my bypass as i am now 10 stone down and a new woman and i now live life and not just exist.

I am so grateful to my team and i would have my bypass year after year my team saved my life and i cant thank them enough :)

Last edited:
Thats sooooooooo good to hear Roch, Im due for surgery next week and Ive had a few wobbles lately but when I read stories like your, people who have had complications etc but who would still have the op I just think..."Go for it!" Ive not met or spoken to anyone yet who has said they wouldnt do it again. So thanks Roch for taking the time out to tell us pre-oppers that it is still the best thing you have done for your health and happiness :D X

Back