• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

NHS Pre-payment certificate

Sambucca

Hi All :)

I'm probably a little late in the day thinking about this tbh, but Im undecided whether its going to be better for me to buy a pre payment certificate at £28 for 3 months, rather than paying for individual prescriptions at £7.20 each. There is an annual certificate as well, but Ive forgotten the cost. Think its about £110.

Now I can work out that any more than 4 prescriptions in 3 months means I would be better off with the certificate - but how many prescriptions do you WLS peeps have.

Did you buy a certificate and has it saved you money?

I got an annual one on direct debit last year before my surgery, and it definately saved me a few pennies. More so in the early days, so maybe a 3 month one would be better to see how it goes.

I have a 12 month one and I pay monthly for it I have 3 scripts a month (fasttab calsuim and fortivel) so thats about £22 a months so over the 12 months its about £260 so a saving of around £150 a year. But with this you are also covered for antibioltics dressings even support stocking so for mw its worth it

I bought a 12 month one last year. I know it is a lot of money to pay out in one go but was definately worthwhile financially
Irene x

I bought a twelve month one and am so glad I did. These Allyven Gentle dressings I'm currently using work out at about £8 each and considering I change them daily thats a lot of money...

Just found this on the web site

PPC Cost

The current cost is:
  • £28.25 for a 3-month PPC; and
  • £104.00 for a 12-month PPC.
well worth the money thanks for the tip

I always used to get a prepayment cert. but Wales has done something right in that we no longer pay for prescriptions x

Being diabetic I qualify for free prescriptions anyway :D

I wonder what will happen after my op, as many diabetics are "cured" in time?

What is the age that one becomes entitled to free prescriptions?

Sambucca, the pre-payment certificates are really good value when you need any form of regular medication. This is the Department of Health link about them Prepayment of NHS prescription charges : Department of Health - Health care and you can also pay for a yearly one by direct debit which is really useful too.

Remeber as well that is you have certain chronic conditions - like Diabetes which I know a lot of us have here - you can get exemption from all prescription costs. NHS link here Help With Health Costs Help with Health Costs NHS Business Services Authority

I am mentioning it here because a lot of people apparently don't realise that they are entitled and do not get their exemption. I am on so many meds I would be bankrupt if I didn't have mine. :(

love

TillyBob

Being diabetic I qualify for free prescriptions anyway :D

I wonder what will happen after my op, as many diabetics are "cured" in time?
You will almost certainly still be a diabetic after your operation (diabetes will be formally "in remission" and it is quite exceptional to be fully cured - don't care about what label they give me, just want to stop taking all these pills)

Your current certificate is valid for a set period and you will get a reminder when it it is due to run out. The renewal didn't need input from the Dr because the problem with chronic conditions is that they don't tend to get better so I suppose you could just keep sending the renewals off for ever. But that would be fraud which would potentially give you 5 years in the big house :eek: (and yes, they do prosecute)

What is the age that one becomes entitled to free prescriptions?
England and Scotland - 60.

Wales - bless the Assembly, Welsh residents are exempt from prescription charges.

love

TillyBob

Good question!

Because I have hypothyroidism I am exempt from paying for any medication at all...The GP told me about it, and he applied for it for me (or I would never have known)...I have an exemption card that I have to show as proof and is renewed every 5 years. As it considered a life long condition I don't think I have to apply for another card.

I know there a lot on Mini's who also have a under active thyroid....Hope you have your exemption card too.

(((hugs)))

thanks for all your replies everyone. Think I will get one ordered online today. x

Back