• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

North tees newbie

Niknak37

hi all, my name is Nicola and I just wanted to drop in and say hi.
I have been stalking the site for a little while now and I am inspired by everyone’s journeys on to the losers bench.
I am at the very beginning of my journey and have just been told I have to be referred to SWMS before any surgery is considered.
I have been overweight all my life and currently have a BMI of 47.6.
I was a fat 10 year old, 20 year old, 30 year old and I am determined I will not be a fat 40 year old.
I am totally sick of being the fat funny one, and I am ready!!!
If any one has any experience of the process in my area it would be great to hear from you, I am starting to think I am going to have to be very patient in this process!!!
Nik x

I have been stalking the site for a little while now and I am inspired by everyone’s journeys on to the losers bench.
I am at the very beginning of my journey and have just been told I have to be referred to SWMS before any surgery is considered.
I was a fat 10 year old, 20 year old, 30 year old and I am determined I will not be a fat 40 year old.
If any one has any experience of the process in my area it would be great to hear from you, I am starting to think I am going to have to be very patient in this process!!!
Nik x
Hi Nicola
Welcome to the forum, there is absolutely loads of inspirational diaries on here and we all try to be really supportive, there is an abundance of hints and tips too, there is always someone who can answer a question or you can find answers by searching the forum.
I can’t help with your area but can confirm the nhs route is not very quick, mine was 22 months from first appointment to surgery, almost 2 year sounds like tortbut time really does fly by and I found it was an ideal opportunity to research everything I could about my surgery so I knew exactly was I was doing and what to expect, I guess thats the best advice I can offer and always remember that wls is only a tool and we do have to work with our tool.....for life.
Good luck and please keep in touch xx

Can’t help with your area sorry.
I too started out as a stalker on here. When I finally came out of the shadows everyone was so welcoming. The diaries on here really do help. I have gone to appointments armed with lots of information, questions etc & the professionals seem to appreciate it.
The NHS route is a long one. I have been on this journey since last August. But I have to say it has gone quicker than I thought it would.
Good luck look forward to reading about your journey x

Hi I to was a stalker. It’s a wonderful forum so many lovely people I’m from Durham so not a million miles away from you. I’m sorry I don’t know the NHS route can’t help with that but will always listen and support like all the other members. So please keep posting xx

Hi and welcome, I'm not in your area, but I'm pretty much at the beginning of my journey on the NHS route at Luton and Dunstable hospital, I'm on a 6 months programme on tier 3, hoping to get the go ahead for RYN.
Everyone on here is very helpful and supportive xx

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome.
I have totally become addicted to this site and reading about everyone’s journeys. At the moment I am like a sponge soaking up all the info and learning new things daily. I can’t thrill anyone with any exciting tales yet but I’m hoping that the process starts soon so that at least I will feel on the way. I have fasting bloods tomorrow so that the referral to swms can be processed. I know it seems to be a mixed bag on how long the wait is to have the first appointment. So recently I have lost 1st 2lb doing Exante ( shakes) and being in Ketosis really felt great I had so much energy but it was unsustainable and I have fallen back in to old habits and truthfully have felt like crap it’s almost as if my body is rebelling against carbs and refined sugar. I am thinking that once I have seen the dietician I will probably start slimming world. What are you guys doing or did to lose your goal weight
Sending skinny vibes

Hi Niknak37

I really hope it’s all starts soon for you. Reading the other journeys is does seem to be a bit of a lottery. But well worth it and you just use the time to learn as much as you can.

This forum is amazing the help and support is off the scale. More importantly it’s from the people who have been there or like us waiting but most important thing is they understand what your feeling that’s the bit that matters the most :). I always feel like I have nothing to contribute at the moment just sat on the fence looking in waiting. But I chip in where a can in the hopes that if nothing else proves I’m listening and I care

Please keep posting your thoughts fears hopes We all love to help and read each other’s stories it’s nice know we have a cyber community of friends that’s extending :)

You have done really well with your weight loss and I know what your saying once you stop that diet, that regime, then that’s it. I know I just go out of control I’m trying to maintain just got 20 days left hopefully. There is lots of lovely guys who will tell you how the did though babe. So keep posting!! Xx

Nik x
Welcome to the forum and good luck with your journey xx

I go to slimming world (AGAIN!). When they took my starting weight at the hospital on the 16/3/18 I went back to the next s/w class which was the 22/3/18. Since then I have steadily lost with only one week putting on 1/2lb. I have achieved more than my 5% loss they require. My plan is to keep losing slow to give me space to enjoy my holiday & the odd treat without putting my 5% loss in harms way.
Give slimming world ago the only down side I have found is that it doesn’t help you to control the amount we eat.
Ops sorry went on a bit!

So today my dad offered to loan me £7000 to go private for surgery, he too struggles with his weight and I think he is living vicariously through me, I have to say I am so tempted to accept and just get on with it, I had my fasting bloods today and the receptionist said that the referral would go to swms on Friday with the results.
I am going to wait for the appointment to come through and consider my options fully before I make any rash decisions.
Someone at work spoke to me today about their sleeve surgery, she said that she is slowly gaining weight and is constantly exhausted, she said if she could have a do over she would definitely choose a bypass which is what I have decided is probably best for me. I have hypothyroidism and I know it’s not a volume issue with food it is more of a quality issue. I am a night time snacker, usually high fat high sugar crap, thing is I know I can lose weight, I go in all guns blazing, but I struggle with sustainability.
I have started to look at my triggers and past harms since starting this journey and I realise I was a normal weight until the age of 10 when my sister was killed, I never thought I was an emotional eater but maybe I am??? Xx

Nik x
Hi Nik,
I had a gastric Bypass a year ago in South tees, James Cook hospital, I don't know how my process compares to North tees.
My first hospital appointment was 19th Sept 2016 and I had my surgery in June 2017. It was a quick process for me because my bmi was over 50 and I requested a cancellation so only had 2 weeks notice. Because my bmi was over 50 it meant that I could be referred for surgery after completing 6 months of Dietician and fitness input and meeting the required weight loss.
Good luck on your your ey, it may be a long process but it's so worth it.

So today my dad offered to loan me £7000 to go private for surgery, he too struggles with his weight and I think he is living vicariously through me, I have to say I am so tempted to accept and just get on with it, I had my fasting bloods today and the receptionist said that the referral would go to swms on Friday with the results.
I am going to wait for the appointment to come through and consider my options fully before I make any rash decisions.
Someone at work spoke to me today about their sleeve surgery, she said that she is slowly gaining weight and is constantly exhausted, she said if she could have a do over she would definitely choose a bypass which is what I have decided is probably best for me. I have hypothyroidism and I know it’s not a volume issue with food it is more of a quality issue. I am a night time snacker, usually high fat high sugar crap, thing is I know I can lose weight, I go in all guns blazing, but I struggle with sustainability.
I have started to look at my triggers and past harms since starting this journey and I realise I was a normal weight until the age of 10 when my sister was killed, I never thought I was an emotional eater but maybe I am??? Xx

Hey Niknak and welcome :)

I wouldn't be put off by your colleague's experience as with all weight loss surgery, you can gain weight back. I have a friend who had a bypass in March, she has lost around 8 stone already which is absolutely amazing, but now its stopped and she has started gaining weight back. It's all because of the types of foods she is eating and pushing her limits every time, and she knows this.

For her lunch when I saw her, she had a packet of chocolate buttons, some candy floss and pork scratching....3 foods which are the opposite to healthy options.

The weight loss surgery, no matter what you go for, is not a miracle, its a tool. Its a little stepping stone to help you on your way and like everything, if you treat it well, it will do the say back.

I have my band fitted on Monday. My main reasons for choosing the band over the bypass and the sleeve is because I don't really have an enormous amount of weight to lose, if I start gaining at any point, I can have my band adjusted, even 5-10 years down the line. So its kind of like an investment.

It's so lovely of your dad to offer you the money to help pay for it, its like being offered a lease of life. You're very lucky. xxx

Hey Niknak and welcome :)

I wouldn't be put off by your colleague's experience as with all weight loss surgery, you can gain weight back. I have a friend who had a bypass in March, she has lost around 8 stone already which is absolutely amazing, but now its stopped and she has started gaining weight back. It's all because of the types of foods she is eating and pushing her limits every time, and she knows this.

For her lunch when I saw her, she had a packet of chocolate buttons, some candy floss and pork scratching....3 foods which are the opposite to healthy options.

The weight loss surgery, no matter what you go for, is not a miracle, its a tool. Its a little stepping stone to help you on your way and like everything, if you treat it well, it will do the say back.

I have my band fitted on Monday. My main reasons for choosing the band over the bypass and the sleeve is because I don't really have an enormous amount of weight to lose, if I start gaining at any point, I can have my band adjusted, even 5-10 years down the line. So its kind of like an investment.

It's so lovely of your dad to offer you the money to help pay for it, its like being offered a lease of life. You're very lucky. xxx

@Jonicorn said it best. I have a lady who had surgery the same day as I did. She had the bypass and I am sleeved. She can eat anything and not dump. She regularly eats McDonalds, chocolates, drinks cider and prosecco. She's stopped losing weight and I'm consistently losing and we are only 5 months post op. She started out wearing a smaller size than me and now I wear 2 sizes smaller than her because I started working out as soon as I was allowed and I focused on tightening my body.

The surgery is a tool and you have to work it. It is hard work because the surgery only limits the volume of food you can have, no matter what surgery, and there is no guarantee that the quality of food will give you adverse reactions. Your mind doen't have surgery and you have to fight it to avoid eating trigger foods. Especially after you've given in and had the food and see that you have no reactions and that its a slider food for you (ie you can eat quite a lot of that food and not feel full, for me that's cashews).

You can't really compare one persons journey to another but also don't let one persons experience with a surgery to put you off. You have to research all that the surgery entails and what you are willing to live with.

Good luck with your appointment. I hope they give you lots of information about your options.

@Jonicorn I love your signature by the way :D

@Jonicorn said it best. I have a lady who had surgery the same day as I did. She had the bypass and I am sleeved. She can eat anything and not dump. She regularly eats McDonalds, chocolates, drinks cider and prosecco. She's stopped losing weight and I'm consistently losing and we are only 5 months post op. She started out wearing a smaller size than me and now I wear 2 sizes smaller than her because I started working out as soon as I was allowed and I focused on tightening my body.

The surgery is a tool and you have to work it. It is hard work because the surgery only limits the volume of food you can have, no matter what surgery, and there is no guarantee that the quality of food will give you adverse reactions. Your mind doen't have surgery and you have to fight it to avoid eating trigger foods. Especially after you've given in and had the food and see that you have no reactions and that its a slider food for you (ie you can eat quite a lot of that food and not feel full, for me that's cashews).

You can't really compare one persons journey to another but also don't let one persons experience with a surgery to put you off. You have to research all that the surgery entails and what you are willing to live with.

Good luck with your appointment. I hope they give you lots of information about your options.

@Jonicorn I love your signature by the way :D
Well said Kim xx

Aw bless you that’s very sad, so kind of your dad to offer the own glad your taking your time in thinking about it, only you can decide, I’m sure we can ALL relate to being able to lose weight but to maintain is a different storey all together, the surgery tool helps with the maintaining because we have that tool for life. Xxx

It just makes me remember, they operate on our stomachs not our brains.
I can eat fatty food post Bypass but I choose to keep it to a minimum, I have not tried sweet sugary food, I really don't want to know if I can have it or not. I've told myself I can't and I stick to sugar free alternatives.
Good luck x

Back