• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

November 2016 Surgeries

OMG so many successful sleevers this week...welcome to the losers bench:D remember take it easy keep hydrated and listen to your body to stop. I have been not around much this week as things came to head with my breathing post op. My asthma was set off so was given steroids but feeling much better and able to function and drink more meals last few days. Starting purée tomorrow which slight delay due to being breathless. But every day this last few days getting better by the day:)

Well done @Chill and @maggy how are you both feeling today? Are you managing liquids? When do you go home?

@Dollydot glad to hear you are on your way home today hope you are taking it easy. @Damienw1 so sorry to hear of the complication sounds like the surgeon was very experienced and did a great job ensuring your band could stay phewie! Give yourself time and rest to recover.

I'm doing ok thanks, - bit uncomfortable but not really in pain.
I've just had drips taken off so can drink free fluid and am waiting for drain to be taken out.
I'm hopefully going home tomorrow!
Would love to be in bed sleeping but I was out of bed in a chair about 7.30 this morning and have done 3 laps of the hospital! They like to get you up and moving here!
Have had a couple of visitors here this afternoon so might see if I can grab a snooze once the drain is out!

@Chill great to be moving so much but you'll need to rest too!

So - I was thinking should we post what we are managing liquid / stage 2 and onwards wise. I know I'd find it helpful.

So when we move onto purée and then soft food I have to follow teams advice and not drink 30mins either side of eating for reasons I fully understand. But I'm presuming that doesn't matter in the liquid phase? E.g. I've been sipping NAS all morning and now having 200 MLS of blended chicken soup - but not left 30mins before. I've emailed dietician but not sure how quick the response will be.
I was told at liquid phase it doesn't matter. You will find that when you first start puree and trying to leave 30 minutes either side hard work as and sometimes difficult to get all in that you should have, and think about anything else! If you can start slowly now it will probably help you get into the habit. It is as much about brain training and developing new habits. I still forget sometimes :)

So - I was thinking should we post what we are managing liquid / stage 2 and onwards wise. I know I'd find it helpful.
For the September Surgeries Mazza set up a different thread called something like - what we are managing.

@Chill - feeling much the same. They took the drip out this morning- my surgeon likes it out early. Though I still have the canula for antibiotics and pain meds. Hope that goes tomorrow. He's also hot on the getting you walking thing. I'm sure it helps with the wind. And I have a weird device that I have to breath through 10 times an hour to make sure I'm breathing deeply enough. Helps prevent chest infections apparently.

@MrsN my dietician's sheet says 1.5 - 2 litres on liquid diet but that includes teas and soup as well as NAS and water. he did say I could work up to it in the first few days after surgery. Have done ok today - 1.3 litres since drip finished at 8am.

Just off for more wandering the halls :whacky068:

@maggy 1.3 litres is awesome!! I was nowehere near the first few days

@Heidi C exciting times! No idea re Facebook - im just sticking in here. Hoping us November lot who will all be at similar stages can help each other with the value advice of those that have gone before us. How's the pre op diet going?

Hello all, just getting ready to go home! Been given clear soup to have but wasn't sure how much to have! 'Anaged a cup full but don't feel full but feel like I shouldn't have any more! Just hoping I get a bit more in tune with what's going on with my body soon.

How's everyone else doing?

Hello all, just getting ready to go home! Been given clear soup to have but wasn't sure how much to have! 'Anaged a cup full but don't feel full but feel like I shouldn't have any more! Just hoping I get a bit more in tune with what's going on with my body soon.

How's everyone else doing?

Hi @Chill im just home. So nice. I've been giving myself small cups (about 200ml) of milk or whatever and drinking it very very slowly. 100mls first off then half an hour later the rest. Not sure if that's right but anymore and my pouch starts making all sorts of weird noises. I'm sure it's talking to me :blahblah:

Anyone started their stage purée diet yet? I now I am first November sleeved through so will be first I guess? I am starting today...I will be having turkey mince and gravey I am looking forward to starting to tast food again now. I will report back later let you know how it goes!

Ok guys I boiled the turkey and added a spoon of gravey then blended it. I ate 2.5 tablespoons of it in about 10 minutes using teaspoon. It didn't look very much only a light brown thick liquid and could taste meaty salty tiny bits in I chewed until broken down. My stomach then started full orchestral sounds :p and I stopped as I have no idea if I am empty or full tbh and don't feel hunger so this is my signal from my stomach. So only 5 minutes ago so don't know any effects but it feels so nice to get proper protein into me:) feel a bit better I have done it as was scared! Now no drink for 60 minutes just in case!

I feel hungry today for the first time, ive had half a protein shake with extra added milk as a bit thick, some soup and about 500mls water, its unnerved me a little o_O

I feel hungry today for the first time, ive had half a protein shake with extra added milk as a bit thick, some soup and about 500mls water, its unnerved me a little o_O
Hi @JakkiD some people have said that they have felt more hungry on liquid stages and when they go through the stages they actually have less and then more full up. Maybe a hot drink would help? What you have had is not too much this stage in day tbh. Are you have readybrek or weetabix? Maybe that would make a difference? I found the readybrek very filling well like a heavy jack! You should be moving to purée in few days hold on in there:) and maybe drink some more NAS squash help get the water down faster for me.

I'm not allowed readybreak in the liquid stage. I'm the opposite don't feel hungry at all. Or thirsty for that matter. I'm drinking because I have to. And I'm bored! Added a ton of chilli into my chicken soup at lunch 200ml and had a protein shake for breakfast.
I've a freezer full of purée ready for Friday.
@JakkiD wonder if it's just your sleeve healing?

Hi @Chill im just home. So nice. I've been giving myself small cups (about 200ml) of milk or whatever and drinking it very very slowly. 100mls first off then half an hour later the rest. Not sure if that's right but anymore and my pouch starts making all sorts of weird noises. I'm sure it's talking to me :blahblah:
That's what it was for me in the first few days.

Back