• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

November 2016 Surgeries

Sounds like your fluid intake @Chill is still quite low, although normal for the stage you are at. The important thing is the colour. It should be pale yellow. Mine reached orange at some point and I barely went. I did end up dehydrated so important you keep an eye on going less. I still cannot manage the recommended 2 litres at 12 weeks so still haven't achieved the desired colour yet. I don't get thirsty anyway unless weather is really hot so can forget to drink

@Chill keep an eye you have not got urine infection esp if in retention. As SAM55 says look at colour too.

@maggy thanks. It is hard I agree when can't have milk based products esp in liquid/purée/soft phase to get protein in takes so much planning. I am relying on fish With mashed veg. My taste buds have totally changed since this sleeve and I am struggling to think and try new foods. Totally sensitive to sugar and salt in foods. Went round supermarket and bought fish chicken and veg again. What's fitness Pal? That sounds great how it works out protein? But gets easier with more choice now on soft but meat/fish big part for protein.

Without milk based products it must be a total nightmare. MyFitnessPal is an online diary with a large database of foods. It also collects info from the barcodes of any packaged foods so you don't have to put them in yourself. I put In Everything I eat or drink plus exercise. It calculates nutrients and calories for you. Just google it. It's an app and free. In app purchases for the premium service. I use that because there's more flexibility

I've got my fitness pal but I'm hopeless at updating it!

Can I ask I anyone else has lost the sensation of a full bladder? I've always been able to hold a lot but I got home from work today about 6.15 and realised I hadn't been to the loo all day! I'd had 2 mugs of tea and about 400ml of squash but I don't know if I'm drinking enough and retaining a lot
Yes I did lose sensation and had the exact same problem and it was an infection - go to GP to get them to check otherwise if you leave it too long like I did you get a very bad pain and end up with retention anyway. Best to get some antibiotics xx

Just tried some real food today, and am suffering for it now, definitely not ready for it yet, never felt so full in my life. Got hiccups from it too

@Nixon what did you try? And how far out from your op are you?

I've another week on purée then move to soft food so starting to think about what I could have. What do you all have on your lists?

Some chicken, it didn't agree with me, I ended up hugging a toilet for half an hour. I'm not going to try that again for a while that's for sure. Feel better now though.

@Nixon it seems a few people have struggled with chicken. Maybe try again in a few weeks?

Having seen all the problems that people had with chicken I started with pureed once I was comfortable in the mashed stage which started at four weeks, which was better, but still avoid it a lot. Did you have it with a liquid type accompaniment or on its own?

Having seen all the problems that people had with chicken I started with pureed once I was comfortable in the mashed stage which started at four weeks, which was better, but still avoid it a lot. Did you have it with a liquid type accompaniment or on its own?
I must be just lucky as nothing has had any bad reaction with me
just keep experimenting

I think some of it was just portion size, my stomach obviously didn't tell my brain it was full up in time. It was such a small amount though, truly surprising compared to what I used to eat. I suppose it's a learning process that will take time.

Everyday is a learning curve. I know I'm full as after 5/6 teaspoons I can feel food sitting in the area between my breast bone.
Still finding there isn't enough hours to get all the fluid in and do keep forgetting to not drink 30 mins before food (I do it afterwards but not always before!)

I find I get uncomfortable and get the hiccups when I've had enough!
I'm managing to drink about 1-1.5l a day, I can

Really interesting to hear what people are eating. I made a BIG mistake yesterday. I'm on purée but thought the mash I'd bought would be just fine. It wasn't. Mega pain, though thankfully for a very short time. I guess as it tried to squeeze through. Not doing that again!

One good trick I've found (and apols if I'm repeating myself!) that might work for others. Twice now I've had an insatiable craving for 'something' though I've not been sure what it was for. In the past I would have just reached for anything and everything to shove in my mouth. My OH suggested it might be a salt craving (he had some vague medical training years back and is always coming up with odd factlets). Anyway I tried having a cup of bovril the first time and it worked. Though I still didn't believe him ;) But then I tried it again last night when I had the cravings and it worked again! Amazing. Thing is I know when I'm craving sweet things. I just know that's what will satisfy. But had never twigged about the salty craving. Anyway, sorry for the long post but if it rings true for anyone else it might be helpful.

Really interesting to hear what people are eating. I made a BIG mistake yesterday. I'm on purée but thought the mash I'd bought would be just fine. It wasn't. Mega pain, though thankfully for a very short time. I guess as it tried to squeeze through. Not doing that again!

One good trick I've found (and apols if I'm repeating myself!) that might work for others. Twice now I've had an insatiable craving for 'something' though I've not been sure what it was for. In the past I would have just reached for anything and everything to shove in my mouth. My OH suggested it might be a salt craving (he had some vague medical training years back and is always coming up with odd factlets). Anyway I tried having a cup of bovril the first time and it worked. Though I still didn't believe him ;) But then I tried it again last night when I had the cravings and it worked again! Amazing. Thing is I know when I'm craving sweet things. I just know that's what will satisfy. But had never twigged about the salty craving. Anyway, sorry for the long post but if it rings true for anyone else it might be helpful.
That makes sense. When I was on LRD I found Bovril sorted out any hunger. I have had the old salt craving post-op, much more than I have had sugar cravings. If our electrolytes are not balanced, which given it is our stomachs they are unlikely to be, our bodies are trying to tell us what they need.

In the days when I had horrendous PMT I yo-yo'd constantly all day between the two. :(

I love oxo with marmite drink .... instead of a glass of wine .. it is a wonderful replacement for cravings

Yeah snap re salt craving.

Does anyone know how many grams of carbs we should have per day? Or maximum number of carbs?

Back