• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

November 2016 Surgeries

I'm still on Purée getting a bit bored now
Only a few more days until soft/mashed foods.
How are people coping with Christmas parties? We've got ours on Thursday night, I'm driving but it's a 5 course meal and trying to decide which part to eat!! I have told others in the office that the food will be passed round to them to eat though

@maggy and anyone else who can help. I have discovered it is milk proteins I am allergic too so can't have anything lactose free either. The dietician suggest hummus to me and I thought of peanut butter. Do anyone have anything snacky that is high protein besides meat/ fish (I am allergic to eggs too). Ohh and baked beans also.
Might be worth checking out your local health food shop where the vegans go for some advice

How are people coping with Christmas parties? We've got ours on Thursday night, I'm driving but it's a 5 course meal and trying to decide which part to eat!! I have told others in the office that the food will be passed round to them to eat though
Dreading them to be honest. I have my first on Monday and have plumped for just the starter...

@maggy and anyone else who can help. I have discovered it is milk proteins I am allergic too so can't have anything lactose free either. The dietician suggest hummus to me and I thought of peanut butter. Do anyone have anything snacky that is high protein besides meat/ fish (I am allergic to eggs too). Ohh and baked beans also.

Hi @Want2b3 what a pain re the allergies!!! Have you tried what I call 'my freak food' (free from) aisle in the supermarket? They have all the lovely snacky things, including dairy free protein bars- if it's a big enough supermarket. Though Amazon also do a bewildering array of non dairy and non dairy/non soy protein bars. Can you tolerate soy? Alpro do a lovely dessert in vanilla, milk or dark chocolate, plus all the usual yummy soy products. Tho I must admit I haven't checked the sugar content and haven't had any since surgery. I've also seen lentil based crisp type snacks on sale. I personally don't like the taste and I'm not sure how much fat is in there but court be worth a try. My other go to snack is plain old homemade muesli bars or similar with added protein powder. You could try soy protein powder. And last but not least there's a great vegan recipe site that may help http://ohsheglows.com/categories/recipes-2/ Hope those ideas help xx

I'm so bored too with purée! Must admit I've ventured into a few soft foods already- but making sure I chew and chew and chew. Good luck with the staff party. My solution ihas been to say I have a prior appointment and to only turn up for coffee. Oh the lies we tell. Well, me anyway ;)

Our party is a whole big event and everyone at work knows what op I had. They chuckle at my lunch every day! I did try to get out of it but there wasn't anyone to take my place. I think a couple of people are looking forward to having extra food!

@maggy what sort of soft food have you been having? I think I need to go back and look at what to move onto next

I had a night out last night. Pre gig meal and planned to order the soup - fail as there was none left! As I'm on soft food I ordered the kids meals which was loads of options to choose from - I picked Halloumi and baked beans. It came out with chips but I ignored them and wasn't even tempted. I managed one slice of halloumi with beans so it was softer and chewed it loads. OMG I was in heaven!!! No joke!! It's now firmly on my list. Just been to Sainsbury's and bought some.

@jeff20stone thsts ace!!!
I went to a gig last night - first one where I didn't sink 10 ciders and I still had a ball!!

Anyone on soft foods / how's it going??
cider was my love ... I had turkey and two sprouts last night ... went down a treat .. It took a long time to eat but very satisfying

Honestly @jeff20stone ive no idea how I'll get through Glastonbury in June without copious amounts of cider each day!
Turkey and sprouts - mushed or as they are?? Presume not dry?
Epic fail on my part today so far - not even had 800ml and only 2 yogurts and some beans.

How's all your weekends gone November buddies?
I can't believe it's 2 weeks til Christmas Day. I can currently manage about 10 teaspoons of whatever I'm having so Christmas Dinner will be interesting!

Those on soft food how many calories are you managing? I'm ranging between 480 and 530 per day. And sitting at around 48-55g of protein. Can't manage anymore just yet and know portion sizes will increase slightly but wondering if I still need a protein shake? I'm seeing the dietician this week so will ask but my guide says I shouldn't need one.

Calories and protein sounds very similar @MrsN soft diet seems so much more like 'normality' doesnt it, my family had a chinese takeaway on saturday, I insisted and they felt guilty, but I had some gorgeous soup and it felt so good to not feel like I was 'missing out' I did keep looking at my other halfs plate but more thinking ew how are you eating so much lol x

@JakkiD im actually loving the soft food phase. Feel back to normal in many way - yep portion size is tiny and I'm not eating crap but I can taste flavours!!! I'm finding flatbreads really handy with some Philadelphia spread for work lunch and giving soup a swerve for a bit.
When are you back seeing your surgeon? I'm there on Wednesday as he's doing my 6 week check early due to Christmas. Then there the following week to see the nurse and dietician.

Back to my Sunday big family roast dinners cooked two meats with all the trimmings for twelve people just had a small amount of meat with cauliflower asparagus and cheese sauce
Loving my life not analysing or counting calories or protein knowing I am eating a balanced healthy diet and loosing weight
Normality is resuming
Keep the posts coming ... love to see how we are all adapting in our own different ways

I find it difficult to log things on my fitness pal when I don't actually know what amounts I've had.

Yesterday I couldn't be bothered to Purée dinner so just had a small portion of lasagne that I shared with my daughter, it was lovely to have something that looked like a meal and I felt quite full after a few mouthfuls!

Had ready break for breakfast today and made it a bit thicker and 1/2 tin of soup for lunch. Not sure what sort of things to bring to work otherwise on soft food stage

@Chill plus you not weigh your portions? That's what I'm doing. For me I need to calorie and protein count in order to keep myself in check. Perhaps this will lapse when I'm more settled but for now it's what I need. Lack of protein could cause some serious health implications so my dietician drummed into me so I'm trying hard to keep on top of it. I've some slim kitchen scales that are fab as they weigh grams and MLS etc.

Honestly @jeff20stone ive no idea how I'll get through Glastonbury in June without copious amounts of cider each day!
Turkey and sprouts - mushed or as they are?? Presume not dry?
Epic fail on my part today so far - not even had 800ml and only 2 yogurts and some beans.
Dry and mashed in my mouth ... and a little red wine ... scrumpy is not fizzy lol .. never been to Glastonbury but we live 10 minuets from the O2 so get to see some amazing live music most weeks

@jeff20stone - you've had red wine? Did it taste like heaven?

I find it difficult to log things on my fitness pal when I don't actually know what amounts I've had.

Yesterday I couldn't be bothered to Purée dinner so just had a small portion of lasagne that I shared with my daughter, it was lovely to have something that looked like a meal and I felt quite full after a few mouthfuls!

Had ready break for breakfast today and made it a bit thicker and 1/2 tin of soup for lunch. Not sure what sort of things to bring to work otherwise on soft food stage
Trying to join in with meals ..

Back