• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Obese and need help

amy1989

Hi everyone, im new to this site and really need some help, i went to the nurse today to talk about my weight, she weighed me and said i was 18 1/2 stone. Im 19 years old and i have a son of 15 months. before i got pregnant i was between 10.5 - 11 stone, ive always been a little heavier than i should be but when i got to 17 i was happy, i was in size 12 clothes and felt really good with myself.
When i was around 5 months pregnant i started to gain weight. My weight was never monitored by the doctor of midwife, and living in the countryside i wasnt able to get out alot (i cant drive). I was always exhausted and spent most of my time doing tbh not a lot. When i gave birth due to my exsesive weight gain, i was 16 stone and had the onset of pre eclamsia, my heart rate was through the roof and they were unable to calm me down, i was then rushed throught to surgery to have a c-section as my baby was becoming distressed.
Recovering from the c-section took me around 3 months as i had a small hole in my cut, now ive been left with a massive overhang of fat and skin, (sorry to graphic) and ive never been able to loose the weight. Since then ive tried dieting, with a low calorie diet, going to the gym, which was exhausting trying to shift this amount of weight, and ive also got a power plate which i use as ofter as i can, ive even resorted to slimming pills off ebay and the clinico "gastric band pill" but ive still managed to put on a further 2.5 stone. Nothing has worked. Im only 5ft 3 and my BMI is 46. After the nurse weighed me today she told me because of my weight i now qualify for free slimming world vouchers... To be honest im not convinced. I know alot of people get success out of it and do lose weight, but i dont think some one else telling me what i should and shouldnt eat is going to help me. There is history of diabeties in my family, and obesity on my fathers side.
Surely i would be classed as at risk and should qualify for gastric banding on the NHS?
I do get very down about my weight, i hate going out as i never look nice, i see photos of how i used to be and wish i was like that now. It took me so long to get to be happy with my weight as through out my school life i was always told i was fat and got laughed at. I could never join in properly during p.e lessons and 9 times out of 10 would fake my own sick notes just so i didnt have to wear p.e shorts and feel embarresed because i couldnt keep up with everyone else. When i reached 17 i was so happy, i could wear what i wanted and tbh i knew that i looked good. I know that sounds so vain but after hating my body for so long it felt great to actually be happy with it. And now 2 years later im bigger than ive ever been and i hate it.
Ive got a gorgeous wonderful little boy and i want to be able to do all the things a mum should do, running around in the park and playing. But right now walking up the stairs gets me out of breath.
Does any one know what i should do?

zetacatty

A loser at last!
Hi, you sound really unhappy. But you've come to the right place. Everyone here is really friendly and will give you loads of support. So, by coming on this forum it must mean that you might be considering weight loss surgery. First of all you need to research weight loss surgery to see if you think it would suit you. Then find out which PCT (Primary Care Trust) you belong to. Some adhere to the NICE (National Institute for Clinical Excellence) guidelines but others are stricter. When you know which PCT you are under look on the BOSPA (British Obesity Surgery Patients Association) site and a link at the bottom of the page will direct you to a list of PCTs and their weight-loss surgery guidelines. Once you know that you fall within the guidelines for your PCT you can ask your doctor to refer you for weight loss surgery i.e. gastric band or gastric bypass. Good luck, Zxx

Fashionably Late

is a skinny size XS & 6!
I can definitely relate to everything you have written. Definitely look at the BOSPA website and find out what the criteria is for your PCT and make an appointment with your GP to discuss your concerns. (((HUGS)))

bypass.sarah

hi, you sound really unhappy. But you've come to the right place. Everyone here is really friendly and will give you loads of support. So, by coming on this forum it must mean that you might be considering weight loss surgery. First of all you need to research weight loss surgery to see if you think it would suit you. Then find out which pct (primary care trust) you belong to. Some adhere to the nice (national institute for clinical excellence) guidelines but others are stricter. When you know which pct you are under look on the bospa (british obesity surgery patients association) site and a link at the bottom of the page will direct you to a list of pcts and their weight-loss surgery guidelines. Once you know that you fall within the guidelines for your pct you can ask your doctor to refer you for weight loss surgery i.e. Gastric band or gastric bypass. Good luck, zxx
hello and welcome there is not much more i can add as zetacatty's said it all,goodluck honey.

thinkbethin

Aww Amy you poor girl. I have a daughter the same age as you so I can feel the sadness you're going through.Zetacatty has said what I would have advised so get onto the bospa site and check out the pct for your area and see if you fit the criteria. Once you've done that come back here and let us know. If you can't find it let us know and we'll help you all we can. Oh and by the way :welcome2:to mini's, hope you find the forum helpful and friendly.

gaelic girl

Loving Being a Loser
Hi Amy
Welcome to Minis. We are all a friendly bunch on here and we all have plenty in common. Can't add more tha what's been said but i know from my own experience i'm so so glad i found this site i'd be so lost without the confidence it's giving me as i approach surgery and the lovely people i have "met" so you are in good hands here Amy xx

serenitylove

go see your gp hun we have all been in the situation your in with weight, befor most dr's will consider surgery they expect you to try other avenues first i found reductil worked really well for me for a while and there are weight management clinics give these a good try, but they should be the person to discuss your options with and good luck xx

amy1989

Thank you all so much for your help i have been on to the bospa site and have found that my pct goes by the nice guidelines, as far as i can see i should qualify... it all seems quite confusing but im going to make an appointment to see my gp asap and try and get a referral out of him. I just hope he takes me seriously and doesnt just fob me off with "diet and excersise" again. I really feel that surgery is my only option now.

thinkbethin

Amy don't let him fob you off. Go in there with all the information you need and ask him to refer you to the surgeon and let him decide.You do have to be prepared though for them to ask you to try something else 1st like the weight management team at the hospital or some sort of medication. Just accept what they offer you as if this does'nt work then it will help you towards getting surgery. If you show that you're willing then they'll want to help you. There are many peeps here who have had to try many different routes 1st just to show they are committed. Good luck xxGaynorxx

amy1989

Yeah im definately willing to try something else first, if it works then great, if not then least ive tried, thats all i can do. :eek:

Fashionably Late

is a skinny size XS & 6!
I am a barrister by trade and when I went into my GP I had it all typed out just like a legal brief so that she could refer back to it if necessary. She laughed at me but said it really did help make my case stronger.

zetacatty

A loser at last!
Yes, I nearly forgot - sometimes you can only get surgery via the Weight Management Clinic - it doesn't necessarily mean they put you on a diet! By the way - welcome to the site.

DOVES

Welcome - I'm new as well.

One thing I would ask is if your doctors have taken blood to rule out any other conditions? I developed an under active thyroid when I had my daughter - the doctors take ages to agree you are under active however and in the meantime the weight is piling on. I have never been skinny in my adult life but certainly since developing the under active thyroid my weight has been less controlled.

I'm in Scotland so its different for getting funding but it sounds like you have received lots of advice.

Hope you get some help soon.

BlueDiamond

Hello one question I have to ask

am I right in thinking that family related health issues( I think thats the right word) count towards your surgery as well??? Or have I got the wrong end of the stick here......

All the best - MeJulie xx

towergilly

hey chuck
i have been told by my doctor that we have to explore other avenue's before we opt for surgery so with this in mind comne up with a plan - try slimming world it has worked for many and may be by having some diet buddies this will help keep youe eye on the goal but try it what do you have to lose but weight?
but have a time line so say i'll do slimmers world for this long and then we'll talk about surgery as fashionably late states make yourself a good arguement
dont give up and good look
x

swizzlestick

Lifes a beach
Hi Amy welcome to minis

Some good advice already been given, just wanted to say Hi and good luck Xx