• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Op cancelled

bexh

Milk diet blues

Hi

I'm in for a bypass on the 15th so am 6 days in on the milk diet, have been finding it very hard, especially at night, get so brain hungry can't sleep. But I have been sticking to it so hard as I know how important it is. So for encouragement I weigh myself daily on Wii Fit, this has been great, I know a lot of the weight dropping will be fluid loss but it's nice to know what you are doing is working. First couple of days I lost 1/2 stone! Then yesterday (day 5) stayed the same and today I PUT ON THREE POUNDS!!! Not a happy bunny :cry:

Did anyone else find this happening around then?

always avoid weighing yourself daily. Weight can fluctuate naturally between 3-5lbs per day and during the day, so try to avoid it if you can as it can really be a downer!

I'll be joining you Bex soon, Im currently on a lowfat/lowcal one, but am going to hit the milk diet when I get to my 2 week mark on thursday.

Thanks Kat, will be keeping away from them from now on!

its hard tho isn't it. The scales are one of my battles and when I went on LL some years ago, I was there 2, 3, 4 times a day, and was gutted when I was consuming less than 800 calories on the replacements and yet my weight had gone up 3lb in a day.

It was then I learned the daily fluctuations, and just how great they can be. I limit myself to once a week, or once in mid week if I can't wait.

Thanks for the info, it's helpful, gonna do my best to stay clear till day before op, week tomorrow, eek!

I share that "eek" feeling! I could have had mine done potentially next week, but due to work, the following was a better option. So I've got to wait until the 23rd. Downside of being self employed and having to fit around everyone elses holiday plans lol

I'm self employed, but a student also. Lucky this came in the mid of the holidays for me, just a shame for my 3 kids though, but next summer is gonna be much more fun with mum I'm sure :)

I refuse to change my current weight on the side for this blip too :mad:

I refuse to change my current weight on the side for this blip too :mad:

indeed . . .am sure if you leave it to the end of the week from you will find a better result :) just choose a day in the week which is going to be your weigh in day and record on that day only. If you weigh yourself in between times, dont record it on the changes until the "official" day

That "up and down" thing has had me very annoyed too. I got some very accurate digital scales that go up to 29st and my weight has varied by 6lb one day to the next at worst, 2-3lb at best. I'm starting to diet and exercise now, 11 weeks prior to my op so that I KNOW I'll be okay by then but oooh my gosh ... it's so slow.

Pre-op nerves

Here I am day 12 of the pre-op diet! Getting very close now!! But I'm having some nerves and guilt at the moment. I have three daughters all on summer hols who are having a bit of a pants holiday. I'm afraid I've spent this diet wishing my days away, in limbo, and haven't done much due to mega lethargy from the diet but also being on a downer. I have depression and the guilt and pre-op nerves are manifesting into a vicious circle. I'm now worrying that if I die on that table, that's it what a great time the kids had with me! Needless to say I don't sleep well, so this tiredness adds to it all.

Sorry not a very positive post, need to vent and I know I'll be fine really, just pre-op nerves.

Luckily we are going to stay with their nan the day before, op on Wednesday, and least they'll have some fun there. The next few days will keep me busy. Need to pack yet and make sure we have everything we need as we will be down at their nan's for two weeks. Also I have some more bloods tests tomorrow and drs follow up on my depression. On a good note I've booked into the hairdressers after to have hair chopped to shoulder length, it's quite long at the moment and want something manageable and less heartbreaking as it starts to fall out!

But thinking more positively I know summer hols with a much thinner mummy are all set for the future now and will be much more fun!

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

All normal pre op nerves so don't worry. A good rant is healthy to get off your chest. Good luck for 15th.

Hune dont be too hard on.yourself. your right this time next year you"ll be so much happier slimmer fitter be able to do more. List 10 reasons my top 1 Be able to wear anything including High heels etc etc. It is a worry when you Have kids but you are extending your life longterm. And you can make it up to the kids on the Xmas/easter holls. And youll be fitter and more fun hope _this helps!_

Bex, can I just say how much I relate to this. Similar situation in that although I will have almost 2 weeks off during the summer holidays it will be post op. And as such, the bank holiday weekend will be a bit of a washout not being able to drive etc.

I have talked to DS and he understands and he also asked me this morning about things we will be able to do in the future, so that helps that he is looking longer term than I. I am scared to death of the op and not waking up afterwards, but thats been my barrier for not booking this op for 7+ years.

I know the nerves are normal, but it doesn't help people saying "you will be fine" "things will be ok", or "look to the future" or "dont worry" because even with those things, we still worry. We will do. Nothing will take that away, and its not one of those things we can just stop. I know that I worry more in relation to my son than anything else . . .

I hope that you can get some quality moments with your girls. We've been doing activities such as bowling etc just to spend those moments now cos I wont be able to do it while off post op.

But I understand exactly what you're going through and I won't say "don't worry" because you will, and I will. But you're not alone

*hugs*

Bex, I had an awful week ini the run up to surgery, summersaulting stomach, feeling teary, feeling angry, snapping at my lovely husband, kids and dogs. Post surgery advice is all well and good, but pre surgery I felt like I was taking a leap of faith and stepping into the unknown. What I remembered was that what I knew wasn't so great anymore - everything around me fine, just me needing to change and move forward. A happier, fitter you will serve your daughters well and bring them more joy than a miserable you. Hope last few days go well for you and look forward to welcoming you post surgery. Tracey xxx

Hi Bex,

Totally understand and feel the same

I am very scared about it all and I do suffer with depression and been on meds for a few years, that helps a small amount with the panic but does not take the fear and guilt away when I think of my little boy.

On a positive note my surgeon said that 90% of his patients who have lost weight with the surgery have gone on to completely come off anti depressants and feel so much better mentally in the long wrong.

I dont think the surgery is the answer to it all as the mind is a funny thing..

I think that my child will bennifit with the not so moody mummy who gets frustrated of her weight and whose is ultra sensitive and thinks too much... Hoping that being in control again of what I am doing with my weight is already helping.

We can be scared together and I am thinking of you

Jane xx

Hi Bex
I too can totall relate to the way you are feeling, I was convinced I would not wake up from the operation, in fact the last thing I said to the anethetist was 'please let me wake up afterwards!' I too have 3 daughters and albeit they are grown up I was scared to bits of leaving them.
When I came round from the op I had a grin like the Cheshire Cat, and as the weight is going the grin gets bigger! We all have these worries so you are not on your own. Before you know it will be all over and you can start the next step of journey, look forward to reading how you get on, Liz xx

I remember pre op fears very well. I recall standing in the theatre all gowned up and ready to go thinking 'just turn around and go Donna, you don't want to go through this' I'm not sure what kicked in to override that feeling and make me get on the operating table, but the next thing I knew I'd woken up.
Fear is 100% natural, it's an instinct that helps keep us safe and alive. Handing your welfare over to someone else is scary - but they are trained, skilled professionals.

Your whole life will be different from here on in - and sometimes you might even think 'WTF have I done?' but following the providers advice means life gets better and better - for you and everyone you love.

If you feel the diet restricts your activities, why not just do something with the children at home? games night, pamper night - just spend time with them and tell them how much you love them. Not because you will never see them again, but because you have been unable to be the mum you want to be - the mum you are going to be!

I look forward to reading your post op updates x

I can equate with everyone on here i too went through all the worry even after my prop ass I ahd 2 weeks of testing my bp at docs because it was sky high and threatened the op going ahead, for 2 weeks i didnt know wether they would doit or not, i cried did the pre op diet went to the surgery every other day moped round, started to get excited that after the long wait i was finally getting the help i have always wished for. Being a mam and wife is difficult cos people depend on you also work colleague, its all added pressure you don't need, when you get to hospital it s time for you, and yes you will be thinking bout your friends and family and yes everyone has 2nd thoughts, I was amazed at how releived i was when i went in and my p was ok and i could have the op it was then that i relaxed and thought this is my time. My daughter could not even bring herself to say bye to me on the morning she was 24 and stayed out of the way till i left, My friends and family were all worried bout me I was worried bout me but more so that if i didnt have this op now how much longer could i go on, I listened to music on my i pod that made all the diference to me kept me calm usually i am very nervous and a born worrier, however that time i was as cool as a cucumber, it wasnt until i went for the anaesthetic and thye were putting me off to sleep that i wondered if it was the right thing just pushed it away and the next thing i knew i was waking up all done. My friends and family were so proud of me and i was proud of me for being soo brave, i walked out of that hospital 6 ft tall, i am afraid of the dentist even, so if i can do it and come through you can to. xx THinking of you all and i am no stranger to depression, bith suffering fron and caring for patients with depression. xx

Back