• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Op cancelled

I'm so sorry to hear that, thats terrible. I hope it all goes well for you. Hang in there, I know it's really difficult when you get knocked down but try to stay positive

hi all, I'm back, been thinking hard about going for the op the last week. Needless to say having the op cancelled the evening before was quite a blow. I found the 2 week milk diet extremely difficult and was counting the days to the op and with not being very good at waiting for things it hit me hard to have it cancelled.

I then decided I was going to cancel the op all together, that it was too drastic and invasive. I can do this alone I decided, but the usual struggles with the diet this week continue as they always have, despite being on a 1,000 calorie deficit I have put on weight!? About as much as I put on when I had a complete blow out the week before the first milk diet. Well yesterday I got as far as phoning my bariatric nurse to cancel and he is on holiday so was expecting a phone call from the surgeon today but missed his called. But since really giving some thought to how overweight I really am (according to my scales 78% of my body is just fat) I am going for the op after all. I will try to get to hold of the surgeon tomorrow and say it's just last minute nerves playing up.

I also think having second thoughts came from trying to take control of the situation in which left me without my op last week.

Anyway, I'm back ready to get focused again. Starting the milk AGAIN on Friday, can't say I'm happy about this, in fact I pretty f*$£ked off about it, did 13.5 days recently and gotta do 14 again now. But I know it will be worth it. I really hope I can cope ok with it second time round, not discouraged about the thoughts of it might be cancelled again.

So my new operation date is now 6th Sept, not great as I NEEDED mid summer as I have no family and friends within 70 miles of where I live and I have 3 children. Luckily me and my separated husband have started seeing each other again, so least I have his support now, which is a god send! My daughter's birthday is on the 7th so will have to make it up to her next year :(

Right time to catch up with all of your posts now.

Oh Bex, I'm so relieved to see you post, have been wondering how you have been doing since you got your news and had seen you hadn't been online. So, I understand it must be so hard to have to do it all again, and I would be ****** off too, and I hope things go ok with your DH too and together for you all. And an extra support person!

Have been thinking of you lots. Sending hugs your way

Kat x

Thanks you Kat, been thinking about you too coming up to your op now! Hope it's not been too scary for you?

Yeah, its MAJOR scarey. Holy Moly time LOL

But, I've paid, so no going back now . . .

Bexh I'm glad you have re-though the situation. I am happy for you that you have concluded it is right for you. I know we are all different but honestly my op has simply revolutionised my life even just 6 months out. 7 1/2 stones lost, pain free, exercising regularly, new hobbies (even running LOL) & lovely new clothes. The compliments make me blush but have a lovely warm feeling all day. Good luck with op.

I'm looking forward to all of this! Want a better life back, can't wait :)

So as you may already know I was due to have my op 15th August and on the 14th day of the pre-op diet it was cancelled by the surgeon. I struggled to keep plodding on as I was getting so ready for it. I was given a new date of 6th Sept and started the pre op diet again last week. I have been very miserable the last few weeks and this has been down to the waiting for the op, pre-op diet, guilt over the children's rubbish school holidays on top of returning depression. I even didn't start taking the meds the doctor gave me as I didn't want the bariatric team to know and cancel my op for it!

Anyway, after lots of soul searching and changing my mind about the op far too often I have decided to postpone for a YEAR! Yes a YEAR! You might think I am mad, think I am too so don't worry. But with the constant changes of mind (got as far as callign the porvider to cancel recently, then change my mind and phone them back the next day) I have decided, alongside the current depression, that I am not psychologically ready for the operation. I think it is so important to e in a good place for it. If I am spending most my days wanting to sleep the days away and feeling well, won't go into that, doing something that is so drastic to my body is not a good thing for me right now.

Also on a practical level the team were informed how important it was for me to have the operation during the school holidays and they originally catered for this, but then when they cancelled the realisation of why I needed that came up! I live 70 miles away from friends and family so it was turning into a logistical nightmare trying to arrange just a a couple of days I might need to be in hospital. Also it is my daughter's birthday on the 7th and my 4 year old starts big school on the 10th, I wouldn't be able to miss that for the world. If this was an emergency procedure then I would cope with it all, but I don't see it as being so, yet.

So I've been taken off the waiting list and as far as I know I still have funding sitting there for me and next summer I will have the team assess me again as I am told I may have changed and the op may have too. There really was no time between now and next summer holiday that it would have fitted in with life for me, I'm on a two year full time masters degree, going back soon to finish the final year and we don't have half term breaks and the breaks we do have will be consumed by the shear amount of work I need to do on top of the children.

So I plod on, working hard at finding my will power to continue losing weight without the op's help for now. I am still able to see the team's dietician to check in on my progress and offer me support. I think I shall return to my GP and see what support they can offer right now.

I will keep checking in and see how you are all doing, I will admit I will be jealous of those who have had the op around when I should have, seeing the weight come of you all! But as a bit of team support I will update you all on my progress in trying to lose weight.

Best of luck all and bye for now :)

Bexh so sorry to hear how much this has all upset you. I'm sure you have thought long and hard about your decision and as such I am sure it is the right one for you. Stay strong honey. We all have our journey to take, it doesn't matter how long it takes to get there you will arrive at your destination. Sending you big hugs
Jacqui xx

Hello

I total feel for u, I can relate to how ur feeling regarding school hols as my parent both work full time and I had my op done private on 25/8 and I got to say the guilt I feel as the last 2week of there hols not being able to do much plus the time before on Pre op diet. It very hard I think u need to do what best for u and a year not long at all as u got to be in rite place of mind.
My mum always says to me some take easy route and can lose weight easy but some of us it's a struggle and we like the senenic route
And am taking that one enjoying life.
I wish u all the best with ur master degree
X

Lisa

Only just saw this Bexh. I think you've made the right decision, if there is any real doubt, then it's not the right time for the op. Hope this year give you time to work out what you want and get on top of your depression. All the best, good luck with your masters x

I agree that you've made the right decision. If you are not totally sure you want to go ahead with this procedure, then this is not the time to do so. We need to listen to our gut instinct.

All the best with your MA x

Back