• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

OP OVER-This is how it went

Loll

Bypass booked for Wednesday with Shaw Sommers.Had to leave at 4.30am to get to Chichester for 7.30am Unfortunately I was last on his list so did not go down until 6.30pm. Shaw came out to see my husband after the op saying I'm really sorry (thought I was dead) that we had to wait so long and everything was fine. Came back to the ward about 9.30pm. Nursing staff really great very relaxed atmosphere. I'm glad I chose the part private/NHS option (where you pay for the surgery but are put into a 6 beded ward really didn't want to be stuck in a room alone. I had tube in my nose, catheter, drip-morphine if I needed it, paracetamol and lots of fluids, not forgetting the inflating stockings.Thursday- Got up about 8am and sat in the chair; had my nose tube out about 2pm and was allowed sips of water, and the catheter out about 6pm. No pain when nose tube or catheter removed. I started pottering around to the toilet and back and forward between the bed and chair. I didn't have any pain just a bit uncomfortable and bloated round the middle. Feet and legs were swollen from all the fluids Had a little cup of coffee. Could not settle had a restless night as I couldn't get comfortable went from bed to chair and back again. Friday-Guy Slater came round (very nice man) asked him if I could go home today. He said if I ate my lunch and dinner I could go. Soup for lunch-no problem and corned beef and broccoli for lunch. Got home for 10pm. Saturday Still having problem sleeping got up about 4.30am-feel really well but have to remember had major op so will not do anything-looking forward to my readybrek for breakfast. To be honest if it wasn't for my bloated stomach and 6 little plasters I wouldn't even know I had the op (Oh sorry and the wind):bliss:

Hi Loll. Thanks for the insight into your op. I've been approved for funding and will be going to Chichester too. Do you mind me asking how long it was a) between funding being approved and you getting your first appointment with the hospital and b) how long in general from initial referral to actual op. I'm getting impatient....LOL. Many thanks. Julie

Great to hear your doing so well, 3 weeks and counting for me. Julie am having my bypass on NHS in London at chelsea and westminster hospital in Fulham, from the day i walked into my gp`s surgery and told her i was thinking of WLS (i previously wanted a band) to my op in 3 weeks, it has been 5 months, for some reason, being funded was never mentioned to me, it just happened jolly quickly,not sure about others,but i was shocked and thrilled how speedy the whole process has been xxx

glad it all went well for you Loll, sounds like you're doing great :D

wow that's great to hear you're doing so well and you weren't in hospital for long. Was it open surgery or lap?
it gives me hope about my own op. I'm so worried bout the nose tube and catheter.

Hi loll, so glad it all went ok for you and you are feeling ok. take it easy and look forward to tracking your progress xxx

He said if I ate my lunch and dinner I could go. Soup for lunch-no problem and corned beef and broccoli for lunch. :bliss:

This is where i become very confused. I thought after a bypass you were on fluids only for a week or so.

The gorgous dr shaw does things a bit differently HC ;)

ooh guy slater is so mr darcy he is dreamy only time iv ever been in bed to wake up to a man who looked like that hehe glad all went well the staff there are just fab

This is where i become very confused. I thought after a bypass you were on fluids only for a week or so.

They give you clear broth to try, then if you keep that down on that day, they try you with mash and a little veg or something similar the day after. It was about a teaspoon of each item, no more...

I went home on liquid foods... soup, soup and more soup! Oh, and crackers became my new mate ;)

I stayed on this for about two weeks or so... mainly because I found mash stuck and I had a couple of vomiting episodes and felt safe on soup.

In the last month or so I've only just really started to have sandwiches, solid food and salad, as I have wanted to take things slowly.

Shaw's dieticians are fab and are always just a phone call away...

At my check up he asked if I had tried eating a banana... I said 'Yes, mushed up' He looked at me, laughed and said 'I think you can start to chew them!!!' :p

At the end of the day, he's the expert with well over 1200 ops behind him and an exemplary success record, so I do what he says...

Follow what your surgeon tells you to eat, and you'll be fine :)

x

To be honest if it wasn't for my bloated stomach and 6 little plasters I wouldn't even know I had the op (Oh sorry and the wind):bliss:

Teehehe... ain't that the truth!!! :D

Glad your op went well :) When is your check-up? Hope to see you in the waiting room one day ;)

x

Back