• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

my hospital experience

VikiB

I thought maybe some of you would be interested so I'm going to write what is happening to me as it's happening. Please forgive me if I slip and report late on day of surgery anyhow here's what's happening so far.
I was admitted early because I am an insulin dependant diabetic and they wanted to hook up canulas and monitor my blood-glucose levels before the op. They are trying to put canulas in now but my small spider veins won't co-operate lol After three failed attempts a nurse is now going to be asked to try. I apparently need two...one for my insulin scale and one for all other medications. Have been given a very potent laxative that was a very nice lemon flavour (lol leave it to me to actually like the flavour of a laxative) Anyhow have been told I am on clear liquids today and will have a catheter placed at 6 am tomorrow and my surgery will take place sometime in the morning. Also was told that if everything goes well I will go home Monday. I have been given this breathing thing to do every 15-20minutes and was given a nebuliser as this will prevent any lung infections post-op. You are meant to be able to breathe 2500 ml I can breathe 4000 ml :) Thats all to report right now more later:) Going to go have have a tea.

thank you xoxo

Best wishes for a speedy recovery hun
Take Care

Andy x

Hope all goes well with the surgery and that you have a speedy recovery:):)

Good luck with your op hun.. look forward to reading your post op post xx

hope everything goes ok un x

Thank you Andy and Sarah I'm sure I will be fine.

I'm very tired right now and the pre-op diet has me feeling very run down. It seems clear fluids means I can have water or a very occasional tea with no milk or sugar which does nothing for my feeling run down at all. After three more (very painful) failed attempts at placing two canulas (dr did it in the end) I have one in my right hand and one in my left arm. The one in my hand is quite painful and in an awkward spot but the other one is fine. The vein in my hand will collapse quickly and the will have to move that one I'm sure but I doubt they will need them in for longer than a day or two anyway. Ok thats it for now will report more later

Also thanks Rayne :)

Good luck Viki. Hopefully this day will go fast for you. I like your idea of an on the scene diary :) Good luck! Xxx

Hun you can have sweetener in your tea/coffee xx speak soon xx

Ok an update it's been a long day and I'm really tired and feel washed out. Have had 3 litres of water and two cups of tea with sweetener no milk all day and after 2 weeks of practically nothing I can tell you it has taken some restraint to not beat other patients up for their dinners lol
The doctor came said he was happy with me (good news) and they will be doing my catheter in the morning at 6 and my surgery will take place soon after that. Other than being really tired and a tiny bit scared of dying I'm doing great.
Thanks to anyone I haven't said thanks to yet your words of support mean more than you know.
I don't know if I will post tomorrow or not depends on how I am feeling then but will definitely update as soon as I am with it enough to do so. I hope this diary helps everyone a bit and gives you the courage to go for it! Thanks for listening(reading) and supporting me.

we are here for you hun xx

Good luck Vicki.
And have a good nights sleep.
xx

They are just coming to hook up my drips for tomorrow so this will be the last post until after the surgery thank you BIG thank you to all of you:) I feel pretty good just really tired so going to do all the things they need me to do ie nebuliser to help my lungs expand and prevent infection in lungs afterwards and breathing thing same reason and get drips then going to try really hard to sleep though I'm excited/scared so whether I will actually sleep or not remains to be seen lol still I guess I will get some amount tomorrow:) Good night everyone thanks for your good wishes:)

night hun xx

Good night, try to get some sleep and we'll be thinking of you tomorrow................see you on the losers bench:)

Back