• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Pain

shelleyt

Hi all I am 3wks 2days post op and have this annoying burning pain in tha abdomen (not near the incisions) it happens when I get up out it the chair or bed, I can't bend down, and can't sit upright on a chair. I have had a ct scan which has not shown anything serious (which I'm pleased about) but wondered if anyone else had suffered this kind of pain? I had a gastric sleeve. :(

it could be you have done a bit too much lifting or done too much and pulled something... you are still healing inside so still need to take things easy for at least 6 weeks... if the pain persists after a couple more days then give your biatric team a call. for now get plenty of rest x

I had deep muscle pain in the abdomen 2 weeks after my op (sleeve) which kept me in bed for days. It was so painful and the only way i got rid of it was by doing bugger all. It didnt completly go for at least 2 weeks and i also could not sit upright in a chair. Funnily enough there was no pain laying propped up in bed with pillows. If its the same thing then rest is the cure.
Kim

Try a couple of nurofen, if it eases it then you know its inflamation from the op. I took this when the pain was bad for a few days.
Hope it gets better for you.
Kim

stuckinafatsuit said:
Try a couple of nurofen, if it eases it then you know its inflamation from the op. I took this when the pain was bad for a few days.
Hope it gets better for you.
Kim

I got told not to take anything with ibuprofen or anti inflammatory's as it can cause stomach ulsers were only allowed to take paracetomol at least for the first 3 months. I also had to stop them months before op too x

I will phone my bariatric team tomorrow to see what painkillers I can take as the paracetemol don't help, thanks for your help x

shelleyt said:
I will phone my bariatric team tomorrow to see what painkillers I can take as the paracetemol don't help, thanks for your help x

Ye best to phone they might be able to prescribe something stronger. As I meant over the counter medicine only paracetomol :) but can take gabapentin or stronger pain killers prescribed off doctor. Hope you get sorted soon as nothing worse than being in pain with nothing that helps x

Hiya
I'm also 3weeks 3days post op and still suffering pain :-( mainly on left side of abdomen around rib area. It feels very much like a really bad 'stitch' you get after exercise and is very uncomfortable. I'm going back to see my surgeon next week. I'm still having to take tramadol most days :-( I wish it would go away x

Hi everyone I had exactly the same pains and thought something had gone wrong!! Every time I got out of bed or off settee the pain was excruciating however at 5 weeks all the pain subsided and i am now pain free:) I think cos we read everyone else's progress or I know I did I expected to be back up and about at 3 weeks but everyone is different but I feel great now so good luck and please try not to worry like I did:)

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Hi pinklady sorry to hear you are in pain too, my bariatric team told me to take co-codomol and brufen and try to bear with it, but I too wish it would go, hope you feel better soon.
Thanks Lynn it's good to know some of us get pains for a while and it's nothing serious, I think I expect too much too soon and my work place said to go back when I was 4wks post op but to be honest I couldn't sit in the office chair with this pain, thanks for your reply x

Cant believe how much the bariatric teams vary, mine said nurofen were fine for up to a week!! Ruthie got sent home with liquid nurofen. I was asked if i had taken them b4 surgery which i had, so was given the go ahead.
Kim

How is the pain now? at least they suggested something else. Some people just get by with paracetamol, i could'nt
so i hope the ibuprofen helps.
Kim

Hi Kim the pain is the same I will continue with painkillers and brufen and rest, the bariatric team are making me an appointment for next week hopefully, thanks for your replies x

I have chronic pain issues, a condition called fibromyalgia. I take permanent morphine medication and so specifically asked about pain from the operation and he told me that there would be no pain as the stomach does not cause pain and only issue may be stiches sights. Really confused now. I take a much stronger version of ibuprofen all the time but also take medication to stop stomach ulcers. Should i ask for a second opinion? I have my pre op on the 27th April but my op the week after, might be a bit close if i have to change my medication etc? What do people think. I am having this op to try and reduce the pain i am in, dont really want to increase it!

Have you considered Lithium for your Fibromyalgia pain - there are some really good reseach papers recently on how people are seeing a return "to normal" level of pain from lithium - may be worth a chat with you GP.
I have the same burning pain the others are talking about, and it feels just under the skin, not deep in my abdo - it's the same horrid feeling when someone sticks their finger in you belly button - I am only taking daily paracetamol !
xx

OOnion said:
Have you considered Lithium for your Fibromyalgia pain - there are some really good reseach papers recently on how people are seeing a return "to normal" level of pain from lithium - may be worth a chat with you GP.
I have the same burning pain the others are talking about, and it feels just under the skin, not deep in my abdo - it's the same horrid feeling when someone sticks their finger in you belly button - I am only taking daily paracetamol !
xx

Thanks! Haven't heard about lithium being used, I'm on quite a few fibro groups so I will ask around. My gp is not great when it comes to changing meds, which doesn't help. I asked her about wls and she just laughed at me and told me I'm no where big enough, even after explaining my reasons and my lack of mobility, she still thought I was mad. For me I am bigger than I can physically cope with so just want to be able to get through pain op and fingers crossed loosing weight will help with everything else.

Back