• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Panicking!!! :-(

patricia2612

Hi everyone, not really sure what kind of response I'm expecting to be honest but I guess maybe just some support. I have struggled with my weight for many years now and I have finally saved enough money to have a gastric band. I have my op booked for 2 November in Belgium and am really beginning to absolutely freak out. Although I have found this forum so helpful and interesting, I have read some people's difficult experiences and I'm beginning to worry. For instance some people's experiences with missing certain foods or not being able to eat certain foods and I just keep wondering how will I be able to live a normal life. For instance if I am at someone's house for dinner and they happen to make steak and I am not able to eat steak,how do act normal around people without them suspecting something?! I just feel like its going to be so hard and I don't know if its worth it. I'm hoping it is,purely because I just want to lose the weight so badly...I'm just terrified at the thought of things going wrong or not being able to eat things like pasta or steak or bread. Things always seem to go wrong for me in my life and I just feel it will be my luck that this will not be successful. Is it normal to feel like this?! Plus I haven't told anyone except my boyfriend who has been amazing throughout all of this but I haven't told my parents, I have a very weird relationship with my mum, I think she will think I'm mad for doing this or she will tell other people that I don't want to know (she has a bit of a reputation with having a big mouth) but in all honesty I just want a big hug from my mum and hear her say it's going to be ok etc. Oh I don't know, im just feeling so emotional! Maybe as well the fact that I'm starving doesn't help...am I doing the right thing?

Aw Bless you Patricia ... we all feel like this pre op :( I am not a bander so don't want to offer you any advice re that but just wanted to reassure you that what you are feeling is entirely normal ... I am not your mum but am sending you a cyber hug anyway ((hugs)) chin up sweetie ... this time next week it will all be over & you will be on the road to a new slimmer you xxx :):)

I entirely get where you are coming from - I also have a very nosey, gossiping mother and I also didnt want many people to know. I told her in no uncertain terms that if she were to tell anyone I would never trust her again and she should respect my wish to keep my operation private if that's what I wanted. She accepted it, reluctantly, and is very miffed that she has missed out on the biggest gossip in years, but its nothing to do with anyone else but me. I also thought long and hard about my operation because a lot of my social life is around going to people's houses etc.. I guess I got round this by telling people I had my gall bladder removed and was on a very low fat diet. I told 3 of my main friends who I see all the time and we now often meet up after we have eaten and just spend the evening together without food being involved. But on Saturday night, we all got together with a couple who dont know and 10 boxes of pizza were ordered - I managed one piece then took meat off two others, so it looked like I was still eating, but not half as much as others - think I got away with it!! You will find a way, and the benefits of the weight loss far outweigh (pardon the pun) the few times you cant eat out xx take care xx

I simply tell people Im cutting down and only want a small portion,as for foods that can cause problems,you wont know what you dont get on with till you are done!You will find your tastes will change,dont stress its only food.You will adapt as you go along.

aww patricia im sorry you're feeling like this :( its true that most of us get nervous before the op. Have you done enough research? there are some fantastic results on here, and most food can be eaten if you chew chew chew! Also bear in mind that if it doesnt all go to plan the band can always be removed, although im sure you will be fine, chin up honey :) xxx

Thanx 831 Phil, it's horrible isn't it that we are so reluctant to tell our mothers. I think I will try and keep it to myself and if she suspects anything then I might tell her if she promises not to tell anyone! Lol! I guess your right, if I'm dining at friends houses I'm sure I will be able to pick at the food and make it look like I'm not so hungry or something. Thanx hun x

I guess ill have to wait and see what foods I can tolerate, I suppose as well if my tastes change then it might not be so bad

I have done plenty of research over the passed year, I think I'm just a big stress head and I'm scared because I don't know what to expect if you know what I mean as far as pain etc but I'm desperate so I will give it my all to make it work, plus I've been told because I'm still quite young (I'm 26) that it can be a good age to have this done rather than keep piling on the pounds and be in a worse situation years down the line...thank you everyone, I really appreciate your responses, I will let you know how my op goes next Tuesday x

With regards to eating with friends, I think that once you discover the very few foods you can't eat forr example steak. Tell your friends in advance that you are no longer eating red meat because of cholestrol or something.

I'm also terribly nervous at the moment but I know that I'll be ok because there's no reason for me not to be ok.

All the best lovely.

Kate x

Is it cheaper in Belguim? I cant afford it in the uk, been quoted £10k which is impossible for me.

Well I went with wls group and .td costing me £4895 inc hotel etc with 3 years aftercare. I've done plenty of research on the doctor and he seems to have got good reviews so it was worth it for me because I also could not afford to have it done in the UK.

Well I went with wls group and .td costing me £4895 inc hotel etc with 3 years aftercare. I've done plenty of research on the doctor and he seems to have got good reviews so it was worth it for me because I also could not afford to have it done in the UK.
Wow thanks thats worth bearing in mind!

Hi everyone, got back today from Belgium, had my op but I'm in absolute agony. Has anyone else experienced this pain especially where the port is?

Good it is all done for you ((((hugs)))).
Sorry can't help on banding but wishing you a speedy recovery xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

hey patricia, sorry you're in pain :( but you are done!! woohoo :) hope the pain goes quickly and you can get on with being a loser :) good luck xxx

Back