• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

People over 30 stone pre op

shazzy2602

Hi I was just wondering how many people out there were like myself and over 30 stone, actually I am over 40 stone but an trying to get it down more and more every year, although sadly I have had huge blips and put weight back on.

I am trying to this year really sort myself out and try and lose over the maximum I have ever lost in one go and that was 5 stone.

I have been trying to get surgery for over the past 10 years, with it sadly never happening, due to hospital errors and them forgetting about me, from being put down by surgeons and being told I am disgusting.

I have met 2 people who are my size before and have had WLS, both of which have now lost over 10 stone, but are still plus size.

I have also men a man who lost over 20 stone and he told me what it was like to have all the skin removed.

Just wondering what you story is, and well just so I am not alone in being a the end of the huge scale

I was just over 30 :) Now 8 months on, 11 stone gone, 9 to go if I am to reach my goal of 10 stone. It may or may not be realistic, however I am a size 18/20 on the top, and 20/22 on the bottom. And just over halfway there.

wow good on you, that's amazing, how long have you been on your journey?

I started my bypass journey in dec 2010 when I asked doc. Funding august 2011, bypass april 2012

Hi Shazzy - I just responded to you where you posted on our Gloucestershire thread - I'm not that far away from you :)

I was at 24 stone when I started my WLS back in August, although I had a band fitted, and am working my way downwards (down almost 6 stone in those just over 4 months), are you back with the NHS to get your surgery underway or whereabouts are you with things?

Im sorry they forgot you :(

I started my bypass journey in dec 2010 when I asked doc. Funding august 2011, bypass april 2012

So you will be a year in 3 months, you have done so well for under a year

Hi I was just wondering how many people out there were like myself and over 30 stone, actually I am over 40 stone but an trying to get it down more and more every year, although sadly I have had huge blips and put weight back on.

I am trying to this year really sort myself out and try and lose over the maximum I have ever lost in one go and that was 5 stone.

I have been trying to get surgery for over the past 10 years, with it sadly never happening, due to hospital errors and them forgetting about me, from being put down by surgeons and being told I am disgusting.

I have met 2 people who are my size before and have had WLS, both of which have now lost over 10 stone, but are still plus size.

I have also men a man who lost over 20 stone and he told me what it was like to have all the skin removed.

Just wondering what you story is, and well just so I am not alone in being a the end of the huge scale

I was a BMI of 74 my weight was 31 stone at my highest, 28 when I had surgery. Down to a BMI of 27 and weight 11 stone 9lbs. It took me three years in total having a tummy tuck in year three.

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Hi Shazzy - I just responded to you where you posted on our Gloucestershire thread - I'm not that far away from you :)

I was at 24 stone when I started my WLS back in August, although I had a band fitted, and am working my way downwards (down almost 6 stone in those just over 4 months), are you back with the NHS to get your surgery underway or whereabouts are you with things?

Im sorry they forgot you :(

Yes I have just responded to you also lol

Did you have the band fitted in Gloucester? I am trying to work through with the NHS,
That's really good over a stone a month, for the band, are you finding it ok to work with?
I had my first NHS appointment in 2001 at Oxford for some sort of surgery, I was told I would be on baby food for the rest of my life and lots of other wrong information, that scared me and I left thinking I couldnt do that for the rest of my life.
Then I was sent to The Heartlands in 2003 and was told that I was prime candidate for a bypass, I was sent to a dietician and told the procedures, I was then asked to go away for 4 months and try to lose some weight,. as long as I didnt put any on I was ok for it to go ahead.
4 months came and went, to 18 months later after myself and my doctor leaving messages and sending letters to the department I got a letter through for a week later, by this time I had got depressed and started eating again, if I could manage nearly 2 years with out help I would be ok I think.. Anyway I had put some weight on and they sent me away to go to Coventry University hospital.
So from early 2006 to 2010 I have been to Coventry University hospital where they would weigh me, try and take my blood pressure, then ever appointment change their mind about what i would need. and send me home again, non the wiser.
For me to then be sent again to the heartlands and by called various horrible names by their top surgeon, and refusing to go back again, I spent the whole appointment in tears and couldn't talk to what he was saying.
Then last year after getting married I moved doctors and she sent me to the Gloucester Hospital,
So far they seem really nice

Sorry its such a long message lol :S

Hey Shazzy, just wanted to welcome you and give you lots of encouragement for your journey. I started my journey at 26 stone but because I'm very short my BMI was similar to yours. When I first saw my surgeon he was very shocked I hadn't been recommended for weight loss surgery when I was smaller as I'd now got to the stage my little body couldn't take the weight. So although I didn't start as heavy as you in stones, I certainly did in relation to how heavy I was for my size but there is light at the end of the tunnel I promise you. I was lucky enough to borrow money, get loans and use inheritance to pay for my op but if you are going through the NHS you can still get there. I hope you are well on your way now. Do everything they ask of you and your day will come. Like you say you've lost weight before but this op is going to be so worth keeping it up and then when you get your surgery you will do fantastically I'm sure. Don't take anyone calling you disgusting! I know it's easy to sit back and let them do that to you when you lack in confidence because of your size but you far from disgusting, you are being strong and want to things better and build a healthier future for yourself. That's not disgusting, that's admiral. I started my journey at a bmi of 69 and now just 7 months later it's 43. I've lost nearly 10 stone. So it's really possible to lose a lot and I believe I will get to my personal goal. With you height you might find you don't need to lose as much as you think before you feel comfortable and happy with your weight. Anyway there are quite a few people on this site that have started over 30 stone and have done brilliantly so you won't be short of inspiration. Best of luck, fingers crossed things start happening for you soon x

I was 32 stone 4 years ago now 18stone but not been easy but been worth it still miss food but learn to live day by day

Hi shazzy, welcome to the most supportive inspirational site for weight loss. I started my journey in November 2010, when my doctor suggested WLS for me as I was suffering from severe depression (not quite bi-polar but definitely suicidal). In January 2011 I weighed 28st 13, which is my highest recorded weight. I was accepted for WLS in June 2011, and bypassed in July 2011. I know I've been extremely lucky in being referred and operated on in a short amount of time and I am forever grateful for that especially when I hear horrific stories like yours. Keep pushing and pushing for your surgery Hun, but also look at alternatives ie could you afford to go private or have the surgery abroad where it is cheaper??

Today I am 18st 11, so have lost 10st 2lb 5 pre-op and 5 post op. at 5ft 8in I have a bmi of 40, which is still obese so I've still got a long way to go. But for the first time in over 20 years I am under 20stone.

As Shelly said, don't let yourself be called names. Again it's easy to say that when your confidence is probably so low, but you're still a human being and have the right to be treated with respect. Especially from your health care providers. Good luck with your journey lovely. If you need any help or advice we're all here.

Xxxx

Hi Shazzy, welcome to the site and the start of what for us WLS members is truly an amazing journey. I had the ban at the end of July this year. Since my initial consultation at the end of March I am 6.5 stone down....not as much as others on here, but enough to make such a difference to my day to day life.
On my daughter's 18th in March this year, I weighed 27st 2lbs, I now weigh 20st 8lbs. I had to go private as my GP wouldn't refer me due to funding restrictions. I went for the op I could afford, and I don't have any regrets at all.
Has your funding been approved or are you going privately?
Whatevr your choice ou won't regret it....keep us posted of how your journey progresses xx
Liz
xx

I was a BMI of 74 my weight was 31 stone at my highest, 28 when I had surgery. Down to a BMI of 27 and weight 11 stone 9lbs. It took me three years in total having a tummy tuck in year three.

WOW well done you, It is always nice to hear there is light at the end of the tunnel, thank you :)

Hey Shazzy, just wanted to welcome you and give you lots of encouragement for your journey. I started my journey at 26 stone but because I'm very short my BMI was similar to yours. When I first saw my surgeon he was very shocked I hadn't been recommended for weight loss surgery when I was smaller as I'd now got to the stage my little body couldn't take the weight. So although I didn't start as heavy as you in stones, I certainly did in relation to how heavy I was for my size but there is light at the end of the tunnel I promise you. I was lucky enough to borrow money, get loans and use inheritance to pay for my op but if you are going through the NHS you can still get there. I hope you are well on your way now. Do everything they ask of you and your day will come. Like you say you've lost weight before but this op is going to be so worth keeping it up and then when you get your surgery you will do fantastically I'm sure. Don't take anyone calling you disgusting! I know it's easy to sit back and let them do that to you when you lack in confidence because of your size but you far from disgusting, you are being strong and want to things better and build a healthier future for yourself. That's not disgusting, that's admiral. I started my journey at a bmi of 69 and now just 7 months later it's 43. I've lost nearly 10 stone. So it's really possible to lose a lot and I believe I will get to my personal goal. With you height you might find you don't need to lose as much as you think before you feel comfortable and happy with your weight. Anyway there are quite a few people on this site that have started over 30 stone and have done brilliantly so you won't be short of inspiration. Best of luck, fingers crossed things start happening for you soon x

Thank you so much, yes I am lucky for being 6ft tall, I think if I was any shorter I would of been bed bound years ago. In the past year my back pain has got so much worse that I cant do near as much as I used too. I hope one day to be able just have a life, not even a normal life. I wish you luck for the future x

Hi shazzy, welcome to the most supportive inspirational site for weight loss. I started my journey in November 2010, when my doctor suggested WLS for me as I was suffering from severe depression (not quite bi-polar but definitely suicidal). In January 2011 I weighed 28st 13, which is my highest recorded weight. I was accepted for WLS in June 2011, and bypassed in July 2011. I know I've been extremely lucky in being referred and operated on in a short amount of time and I am forever grateful for that especially when I hear horrific stories like yours. Keep pushing and pushing for your surgery Hun, but also look at alternatives ie could you afford to go private or have the surgery abroad where it is cheaper??

Today I am 18st 11, so have lost 10st 2lb 5 pre-op and 5 post op. at 5ft 8in I have a bmi of 40, which is still obese so I've still got a long way to go. But for the first time in over 20 years I am under 20stone.

As Shelly said, don't let yourself be called names. Again it's easy to say that when your confidence is probably so low, but you're still a human being and have the right to be treated with respect. Especially from your health care providers. Good luck with your journey lovely. If you need any help or advice we're all here.

Xxxx

Sadly going private in this country is just not viable, I haven't been able to work for the past 4 years, first due too anxiety and depression, to now being in so much pain everyday that I am on high doses of morphine. so we live on just what my husband makes, sadly it wouldn't be enough to afford to go privately, as for going abroad, the cost of the flights would be huge as being 6ft tall I need extra leg room and also I need 2 seats as I do not fit in one. I just hope I can get the help soon enough, as becoming bed bound scares the heck out of me.

Yes I agree with you, people shout things at me in the street, it can be in the small village I live in, as soon as I leave my house, but to get it from a professional who is there to help people with weight loss is an entirely different thing, I was just so shocked, I have been put down all my life.. But you never expect it from doctors or surgeons

Hi Shazzy, welcome to the site and the start of what for us WLS members is truly an amazing journey. I had the ban at the end of July this year. Since my initial consultation at the end of March I am 6.5 stone down....not as much as others on here, but enough to make such a difference to my day to day life.
On my daughter's 18th in March this year, I weighed 27st 2lbs, I now weigh 20st 8lbs. I had to go private as my GP wouldn't refer me due to funding restrictions. I went for the op I could afford, and I don't have any regrets at all.
Has your funding been approved or are you going privately?
Whatevr your choice ou won't regret it....keep us posted of how your journey progresses xx
Liz
xx

If I had to go privately I just wouldn't be able to get it done sadly, I did have funding in place in Warwickshire, I just hope they I can get it here in Gloucestershire

WOW well done you, It is always nice to hear there is light at the end of the tunnel, thank you :)

If you want to text me I'm on 07595 777153. I tried to send you a message but it wouldn't let me.

Anna xx.

Just wanted to say hi and dont give up, I experienced a very unprofessional doc/nurse when I was 1 reffered over three yrs ago I told him to stuff it basically. Which now I regret after three more years of health problems and trying to loose weight any which way you can I once again went to my gp for refferal. I did see the same person but it was like he had,had a personality change he said he didnt remember me and tried to convince me I had not seen him that I seen the female version (im not blind or stupid) but I just agreed and smiled was good watching him squirm. anyway to cut a long story short I was put through for surgery and I am now waiting for a gastric sleeve, which I will be most grateful of when it happens. Dont give up keep on fighting hun xx

If you want to text me I'm on 07595 777153. I tried to send you a message but it wouldn't let me.

Anna xx.

Thank you Anna, I should be able to receive messages now as I have gone over the 50 posts :)

Back