• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Poppy's diary

poppy10

I joined this site a couple of months ago and have found this such as help as I have planned and prepared for the start of my WLS journey. Although I haven't posted much I have been very inspired and motivated by each of your posts.

I today started the milk diet in preparation for my operation which is planned for July 29th 2011 at Dolan Park with Mr Alan Li and to be honest have found it OK (even when my other half decided to eat 2 bacon butties in front of me this morning in freshly baked bread rolls from the farm shop).

So, this is the start of my journey and I'd just like to share a little bit about myself to get started. In some respects the last 12 months have been the worst of my life; my partners Mother died following a long battle with cancer; we then lost my Grandmother 6 months later; 3 months after she died my brothers fiancée died (only 43...had a massive stroke) and three months after that my mother died following a six year battle with POEMS disease which seen her at the age of 55 go from running a successful business to requiring full time care due to the disabilities this awful illness gave her.

On top of this I was made redundant last year (although that was not such a bad thing after all as I now have my own very successful business). To say all of this has been upsetting and trying is an understatement but in April I made the decision that I need to start living for myself again and this WLS is one of the first steps for me.

Now don't get me wrong, I am not looking for sympathy and pity as I do actually have a very good life. I am in a very, very happy relationship with a guy I absolutely adore and have been for 10 years and also love the work that I do and thrive on working long hours.

I have some very good friends; although I have chosen not to tell any of them about my journey...only my guy knows as I have chosen not to share this particular journey with anyone.

The reason why I have decided to take this journey is that I am now having joint problems and would like to feel more confident about myself. I used to work in the fitness industry (also lectured in nutrition...I know, I know; I hang my head in shame...I can’t believe it either) and had a very active and healthy lifestyle but with all of the family illnesses and also picking up bad habits along the way (making excuses not to go to the gym and eating out too often, along with always making the wrong food choices once I met my OH) it just kind of happened!

It all came to a head recently when I went out shopping and had to buy a size 22. To say I was mortified is an absolute understatement...how on earth had this happened. I knew at that moment I had to take control and get my life back on track and like I mentioned earlier start to look after myself now.

So here we are at day 1 and I am so, so excited to be here. I am taking this one step/day at a time. Today has been fairly easy but I know that tomorrow might not be (that's when I will be looking to you guys for support; of course the favour will be returned). I am aware that my surgery is only 12 days away but I am also aware that there is a 12 day milk diet journey to get through first so my focus is solely on that.

I am hoping to keep this diary updated daily and give a warts and all version of the highs and lows along the way and hope that if you decide to check out my progress that you find it helpful; I have certainly found the journeys/diaries that I have been following very helpful.

Any questions you would like to ask me along my journey; please don’t hesitate to let me know.

Love and best wishes
Poppy

Day 2:

Day 2: Today has been a little harder on the milk diet than yesterday, but I think that the reason why is that you have set times for lunch breaks and it is just habit to eat at certain times.

I haven't felt the need to cheat and also haven't even felt very hungry. It is really strange, I thought that I would be craving really naughty foods (crisps and chocolate, etc), but I'm not; I am actually craving really healthy foods such as salad with cottage cheese or mackerel.

I did feel tired a couple of times today and a little 'floaty' (like I wasn't quite in the moment); but it only lasted a few seconds and then passed.

I still have a pint of milk left to have tonight and I'm looking forward to it. OH had made a homemade chilli and had eaten it before I got in from work and the smell when I got in made me realise that I was hungry, but I made a cup of marmite and it soon passed.

Work was particularly stressful today and will no doubt continue to be. I just hope that I don't lose too much concentration this week. I am travelling down South next week on business and have only one full day in the office before I go off for my op so need to get as much done as possible this week.

Any ideas for how I can manage to maintain this milk diet for the three days that I am away from home (staying in hotels), any suggestions would be much appreciated. I think that I have day one covered as I can pack up my diet for the day using a cool bag and will resist the offer of red wine, etc on the train, but days 2 & 3 do appear to be a problem and I am stumped for these days (the last thing that I want to do is undo all of the hard work that I am doing now).

Do you think it would be a good idea for these days to switch to the 1000 calorie a day diets and choose as healthily as I can on any menus (salmon and green salad or similar)?

Best wishes
Poppy

Day 3: A very tough day today; it all started with the shakes this morning after I ran up two flights of stairs at home. At work I felt in a really good mood and had many a giggle with some of the guys, but my concentration levels were very low. I got a bit hysterical this afternoon when I nearly sent an email to someone called Virginia and called her by the wrong name (female body part). By the time that I got home from work I was very hungry today and decided to work out my calorie intake for the last couple of days and worryingly it has been only around 650 calories a day; I am going to increase milk amount slightly today to see if day 4 can be a little more comfortable...it is really frustrating being so tired and lacking in concentration at work because there is so much to do in preparation for my time off and I seem to be getting by running on lots of nervious energy at the moment.

This morning I appear to be having all of the doubts that I have seen so many others write about at this stage...am I doing the right thing; is it too late to get a refund because I must be able to do this on my own if I can follow a diet as tough as this. Thankfully though, from reading all of the posts on here I was expecting this. I have been looking at some of the before and after pics today on here and it has really helped; thank you to all of those who have added these; it is such a motivator at times like this.

My OH is brilliant and is so supportive; but I really miss having my 'girlie chats' with my Mum at times like this.

Right, that is it for this morning I best go and clear down some emails before I head off for the office.

Catch you soon
Poppy x

Travelling on the pre op diet is hard. Depends on the hotel/ chain, i always stay in the same chain and had warned them, i will have some strange requests..... they sorted me out. I'm sure if you ask they will help.
Lunch was sorted by asking in coffee shops....... tea with the tea bag on the side, then made clear soup.
Most people will help if you ask, if they don't, ask to speak to the manager... or ask to check out and find somewhere else.
You are paying why not get what you need?

Back