• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Pre-op shakes?

Hi all, looking for shake recommendations.

I'm not a huge fan of milk or even milk shakes, the most I ever have is a bit in my mash or on weetabix.

I'm hoping to find something i can stomach to help in the pre-op and 2 weeks post op. previous shakes I've tried on fad diets were a bit grainy, or sickly or if you left them to stand for a little too long began to separate.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm going to the seminar in a week, but id like to be prepared with a list of things id eat/drink and any questions i nay have.

Ready made ones might be your best bet. Slimfast ready made are not as sweet as they used to be and not too bad at all (did get sick of them post op liquid stage though). I also tried Ufit, the iced latte was my favourite and Upbeat, blueberry and raspberry is nice.

My team recommended either pre made slim fast or tesco ultraslim. I also found uFit ones were drinkable :)

Hi ChunkyMunky! I'm having my op in Birmingham too. I went to the seminar on January 16th and had my appointment with my surgeon on the 14th of Feb. Have you had your appointment with the surgeon yet? It seems like we're really close together on our journey so it would be great to compare notes!
Did you see on the booklet they gave you at the seminar that you can do a "real food" pre op diet? i think this is the one i'm going to go for as - like you - i don't really like milk much at all.

Hi Victoria, were only a few days apart, i saw the surgeon on the 16th feb. i think im going to do the real food one too. whats good about our booklet is it says you can change which diet you choose every day if you wanted so it gie much more variety. are you at heartlands? Which Op have you chosen?

yeah i was relieved about that too. So we can switch it up if we get tired of one or i could do one day of the milk diet if i didn't wanna think about measuring food that day.
I've asked for the bypass but my surgeon said they might decide to do a sleeve during the op. So i won't know which one i've had until the op is over which makes me a little nervous!
Yeah i'm having it at heartlands. Mr Nijjar is my surgeon, or the surgeon i met with anyway. Which op are you having? Did you get put on a 6 month waiting list?

i have heard that slimfast and the tesco ultra slim are most likely too high in sugar for after bypass.

I am one week post op and my dietian told me not to touch slim fast as they are far to high in sugar and not good after a bypass! But that is by my teams recommendation as another people have been told there fine. I have been making my own shakes/smoothies. With added protein powder or milk powder. With whatever fruit I choose but have been advised to only have two portions of fruit a day Xxx

My daughter has also been told not to touch slim fast shakes .. we mistakenly started her on them a few days ago to try and shift a little weight before her surgery but she's been told to bin them due to the high sugar content which won't help the liver to shrink .. And yep fruit has natural sugars which is why the portions need to be low ..
funny how different teams and hospitals say different things isn't it ?
So I would say , steer clear of sugar .. you don't want to drink or eat items that may not help your liver to shrink back ..
we have heard of patients waking up only to find that their op didn't happen because their liver was still enlarged ..
xxxxx

yeah i was relieved about that too. So we can switch it up if we get tired of one or i could do one day of the milk diet if i didn't wanna think about measuring food that day.
I've asked for the bypass but my surgeon said they might decide to do a sleeve during the op. So i won't know which one i've had until the op is over which makes me a little nervous!
Yeah i'm having it at heartlands. Mr Nijjar is my surgeon, or the surgeon i met with anyway. Which op are you having? Did you get put on a 6 month waiting list?

I met Mr Daskalakis, Im having a bypass too; They will only change to a sleeve if they get in there and find a medical reason or come across something that makes it too difficult or dangerous to continue with the bypass, they just have to make you aware of that in consultation.

They said 6-8 month although government guidelines say the op should happen under 4 1/2 months from meeting the surgeon, so im keepign my fingers crossed.

heartlands have a meeting at the hospital the 3rd wednesday of the month at 6:30 to ask any questions and met others locally.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back