• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How much pain after op?

janice123

Hi just looking for some advice; I was banded yesterday (12 noon) and came home today with just kids liquid paracetamol which I can only take up to 4 times in a 24 hour period which to b honest isnt taking the edge of the pain! I've been in bed since getting home this morning (been up to the loo once) I'm conscious I need to be moving around put the incisions are really sore and I'm in pain a long time when I lay bk down. Is this all normal/similar to others experiences? X

I got stronger painkillers. I am allergic to paracetamol so I got soluble tramadol. I was surprised how little pain I experienced with this surgery, but then again Tramadol is quite strong painkiller.

Go get something stronger tomorrow from GPs and as for normal pain after the op it depends on what your pain threshold is like. I dont have one so every twinge i thought i was dying!!
Hope it eases soon

Kim

I don't think I have either! Although I've had two sections and I'd say the pain is similar. Is there anything I can buy over the counter that's soluble?

Wow, Im sorry they didn't send you home with something stronger - that certainly seems to be the norm to cover the first 3-4 days. They gave me a form of soluble codeine phosphate and they worked a treat. I find I need super strong painkillers having taken stuff for migraines for years anything less than super strength doesn't work so they literally gave me the strongest thing they were able to. But there are various forms which come in a soluble form, but for that strength would be prescription only.

Although perhaps even some form of liquid nurofen may help in the meantime.

Thanks guys, nurse advised 2 spoons of calpol every four hours but no more than 4 in 24 hours! That's what I give my 7 year old! Lol. Any how found some diclofenic which are small tablets then I broke in half, they've gone down and in less pain now...phew! X

Hope you are feeling a bit better now. Personally I didn't feel much pain, and only got the liquid kiddies stuff like you did. I suppose they can give you stronger medication while you are being supervised, but sending you home with stronger medication when they don't have your full medical details and are unable to supervise you/any reaction, may make providers cautious not to over-prescribe :sigh: it will get better from hereonin x

Still very uncomfortable but suppose that's to be expected. Just got to keep thinking 'it will b worth it!' Thank you for your support, it really means a lot! X

I was in huge pain for about the first day and a half. Every time I moved it hurt. After a couple of days it was much better and only hurt after I lay down for a while. I got paracetamol and tramadol and found when I got home I only needed the tramadol once. I hope you feel better soon.

Be careful, some diclofenac tablets have a special coating on the outside and as such, the tablets shouldn't be broken or crushed as it can cause damage to the stomach lining. You need to check if the ones you have can be. Some tablets can be taken from this stage anyway even with a band, always check with your provider, but a pharmacist can help with whether tablets should be broken in half etc.

On another note, you can also take childrens liquid nurofen (again check with your provider as some say yes, some say no lol) in addition to the paracetemol, so you could take the calpol every four hours, and the ibuprofen/liquid nurofen every four hours.

So take the calpol at 8am for example and then every four hours, but the nurofen at 10am and every four hours, together they can help take the edge off the pain, and can be taken together (if you're ok with ibuprofen that is).

Nurofen do a childrens liquid medicine.

Last edited:
Thanks topkat, didn't know that. They are smaller than my little finger nail so think it would go down whole. Only had to take the one so far and I've been in much less pain now. I keep getting up & down and that eases the wind. Ill see how I get on through the night and only take diclofenic if I really need it x

So sorry to hear that you're suffering - if its windpain, do you have something to take like windeeze? or something similar (I use Boots own, find they work really well) also, if you feel its trapped wind, rotate your arms in like a windmill motion, it can help shift it too.

Hope that you get some rest x

I was told not to take ibroprofen liquid but that could just be my provider I took dissolvable paracetamol and co codamol and it worked a treat , the trick is too take the painkillers before u feel the pain as once the pain sets in it hard to get rid of , hope this helps xx

Co codamol, my hospital sent me home with the super strong soluble ones but you can get you can get quite strong ones from the pharmacy. A few more days and you should feel more comfortable. Wind pain will be a factor too so drink lots of peppermint tea x

Thanks guys just woke up at 3.30am pain not too bad just soreness. Topkat; I think the wind pain comes and gos I've got some windezze and as long as I move around the wind comes up!! Thanks everyone, see how I get on tomorrow x

Hi Guys

A couple of point to remember regarding painkillers, in regard to over the counter medication there are three common types, Paracetamol, Aspirin and Codeine.

If you have had any form of stomach surgery then the Aspirin based medications should be avoided, so that includes Aspirin, Ibuprofen and Diclofenac. This is because it can damage the stomach lining, especially if the lining has been damaged by surgery as it is in a sleeve or bypass surgery.

With a band the lining is not damaged so taking Aspirin based medication should be fine.

Codeine is a good pain killer but can give you bad constipation and it can become addictive so it is not often proscribed on its own but is often added in small amounts to other painkillers to improve their effectiveness, Co Codamol, Co Dydramol etc.

There are many Prescription only pain killers available and you need to see your GP to discuss the need for these.

It is often not known that in the case of very bad pain some of the over the counter pain killers can be taken together to improve their effectiveness. Aspirin and Paracetamol can be taken together without risk, as long as you have not had stomach surgery,

You will often see Caffeine added to the stronger over the counter medication, this is there to speed up the absorption of the pain killer medication, but watch it if taking at night as the Caffeine can effect your sleep patterns.

Hope this has been of help.

Paul

Hi Janice, I was also banded yesterday (at Dolan Park by Dr Sigurdsson), I'm awaiting a callback from my doctors for a stronger soluble painkiller as the paracetamol isn't doing much for me either. I have what feels like chest pain to my right side and the incisions are a bit sore. Helps to sit up rather than lay down. Keep me posted how you are feeling. xx

Hi Sophie, hope you get something to ease it soon. I had the tight/squeezing chest pain whilst still at Dolan Park, the nurse said it was swelling pain from the band or perhaps wind. I've taken a diclofenic about an hour ago as the pain got bad again, there a god send to be honest! I'm also finding that if I keep moving every half hour or so the wind pain eases. Keep me updated how u get on Sophie x

Back