• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Pre-op diets for WLS, what is yours and how was it really?

shelbell

Proudly maintaining
I've asked the mods if we can have a sticky for pre-op diets, as the question of 'which one are you doing' comes up over and over again.

This way each of us can say here which one we're doing, and afterwards how we found it etc.

Shel

I have started my pre-op diet for banding today. Have to do 2 weeks.
Glass of fruit juice for breakfast.
Slimfast for lunch.
Any less than 3%fat ready meal for dinner.
Unlimited black tea, coffee, or water.

As only day one, don't know how it will be, will let you know!

I'm doing Slimfast for 14 days for a Lap Band Op on the 7th July.

My diet consists of 1 shake for breakfast with an apple , 1 for lunch with a small banana and 1 Slimfast soup for Dinner with 80gs of Brocolli or Green beans, Cabbage etc Not potatoes. Can drink Tea or Coffee with Skimmed Milk. Easy to do, no weighing and no choices to make ( apart from flavours) can take it around with me and its doing well for me.
In 7 days i've lost 8lbs. still another 7 days to go so should have lost a good stone or more and well shrunk my liver by the date of my op. Feels great:D and also puts me in good stead for after the op when i will continue with the same liquid diet probably not the veg etc for a further 3 weeks whilst i re-cover internally from the op. Yipee ! Also have to take a Multivitamin daily of which i'll crush up or get in liquid form for after my op. Liv xx

Good idea Shel!

I start mine this Saturday. I'm doing a 7 day milk diet where I will have:

1 litre semi skimmed milk
2 litres other fluids (water, sugar free squash, decaf coffee/tea, herb teas)
2 low fat yoghurts

I am dreading it because I hate being hungry (hence the need for surgery!!) I think it will be good though because by the time I've had the op, I'll be already in the flow of a liquids only diet.

Will let you know how it goes! :)

Alice xx

OK I've been avoiding typing mine out cos its sooooo long winded lol but here goes...

Because I have damaged kidneys I can't have salty foods, so wasn't allowed to do my surgeons standard on of bovril/oxo/clear soups/jelly.

Breads, cereals, and potatoes - 3 portions per day

3 tbsp breakfast cereal
1 weetabix
3 tbsp dry porridge oats or 1 sachet instant porridge
1 slice bread (pref wholemeal)
1/2 bread roll, bagel
1/2 tortilla wrap, 1/2 chapatti, or 1/2 pitta bread
2 rice cakes
2 tbsp cooked pasta, cooked rice or cous-cous
1 boiled or jacket potato (egg size)
2 tbsp mashed potato
3 crisp breads or crackers

Milk and dairy food - 2 portions per day

300ml skimmed milk
200ml semi skimmed milk
1 diet yoghurt or fromage frais

Fruit and vegetables

1 peice of fruit
Vegetables/salad - include with lunch and evening meal

Meat, fish and alternatives - 2 portions per day

50g lean beef, pork, lamb, chicken or oily fish
2 grilled sausages
75g white fish or 3 fish fingers (grilled)
1 small Quorn fillet
2 eggs (poached, boiled or scrambled)
2 lean rashers bacon (grilled)
1/2 bowl (medium) lentil or bean soup
3 heaped tbsp reduced fat houmous
3 tbsp baked beans or cooked kidney beans, butter beans, chick peas
25g hard cheese
50g low fat soft cheese
Up to 100g low fat cottage cheese

In addition

15g low fat margarine or 2 tsp low fat mayo

Plus atleast 4 pints fluids.

This is for 10 days, followed by 4 days clear fluids, which consists of -

Black tea or coffee
Sugar free pops and squashes
Clear apple juice - 3 small glasses across day
Sugar free ice lollies
Sugar free jellies

(normally would be allowed clear sieved soups and oxo/bovril etc)

All way through need multivitamin supplement daily.

This is hell

Hi guys, I'm new here (i've posted earlier with my full story ect).
My surgery is booked for the 20.08.08 (Banding), I'm only allowed 3 fat free yoghurts and 2 pints of milk a day for two weeks.

I'm hating it with a passion, im constantly starving and have no energy.

I really hope I don't feel like this forever.

I start my pre op diet on the 11th - and have the following diet to follow:

Breakfast - 2 milkshakes
Lunch - 1 soup
tea time - 1 milkshake
dinner - 1 soup + small portion of either steamed vegatables of fruit
evening snack - 1 milkshake
Unlimited tea, coffee diet drinks and at least 1.5 litres of water

Each day consists of 800 calories, sounds horrendous, but the plus side is i only have to follow it for 5 days :) and its a means to an end !

Everyones pre-op diet appears to be different. How do you know what your suppose to follow? are you told this before hand? I have to speak to the dietician about how I would eat afterwards but nothing has been mentioned about what to eat before....

Hey Linda,

Its down to the individual surgeon, and you normally get the details at your pre-op appointment. There are a few common ones, but you never know what you're going to get!

Thanks shel I will think the worse and anything else is a bonus lol...I keep wondering when Dr New's sec will get around to typing my letter up so I can read again what he has said and make sure I did not mistake what he was saying....I used to be a medical sec so I know they can have back logs and with the bank holiday etc...hope she is a great sec and does not like her work piling up lol....Linda x

i start my pre op diet sunday im going to be on 4pints of milk and a oxo drink each day with 2 pints of other sugar free fluids and a vitamin pill and can honestly say im dreading it!

a little edit im 2 days into pre op and all im doing is going to loo to wee every 5 mins lol im hungry grumpy and have a perminant headach other than its going great hehe!!

Last edited:
i am doing a trial on the same diet and am 2 days in and also peeing for enagland, thinking of getting sky plus in the loo,, haha hey we will b slim lol good luck

many thanks for the he he i counted 27 times yesterday and am still peeing in the night, my bed aint seen this much movement for sometime, today day 4 and getting much easier, only cooked bloody garlic bread for the kids and the smell drove me mad, have noticed clothes are feeling lighter ALREADY there is a god, lol

many thanks for the he he i counted 27 times yesterday and am still peeing in the night, my bed aint seen this much movement for sometime, today day 4 and getting much easier, only cooked bloody garlic bread for the kids and the smell drove me mad, have noticed clothes are feeling lighter ALREADY there is a god, lol

glad your going good its the smell of my daughters toast that killing me the headaches have finally stopped but im getting like a wind style[but no wind] tummy ache at night and am struggling to get the last pint of milk down thank god only 2 more days! im gona count tomro how many times i go lol as your 27 times has amused me:party0038:

i understand the toast, my hubby has to do my kids when i am out lol when is your op and how long u been on the diet,,, i still awaiting to hear, gp advised i do it now so i will get through for op quicker, i hope good luck with the counting, hey the more u drink the more u shrink good luck x

Hi there, I did a 1000 cal per day diet for 10 days pre op because I am diabetic the milk one wasnt suitable. On the day of my surgery (last Friday ) all the ladies were worried in case their livers hadn't shrunk down yet the surgeon never mentioned it once on the day. Still glad i stuck to it though as the initial loss spurs you on for afterwards.

Good luck.

Cheryl x

congrats on your op hope all is going well, i am on 800 cals a day and am burning 300 on my bike so its going quick, how long did u wait to have your op, i still awaiting funding, i have done 5 days and today i wanna munch anything even walls lol ha ha

i understand the toast, my hubby has to do my kids when i am out lol when is your op and how long u been on the diet,,, i still awaiting to hear, gp advised i do it now so i will get through for op quicker, i hope good luck with the counting, hey the more u drink the more u shrink good luck x

iv been on diet since sunday and my op is saturday i had to wait 5mnths from my consultation to the op i was refered by gp in oct consultation in march, i couoldnt stay on this that long i nearly fainted early went all pale and woozy and nearly hand something but have resisted

Hi there I went on the four pint of semi skimmed and two yoghurts a day diet, hard a first had a bit of a headache but it soon went, the biggest problem I had was having all the milk and I have to say I was lucky if I manage two pints. After day four/five I didnt feel hungry but there were times that I felt a bit light headed. I also was allowed unlimited sugar free drinks, such as black coffee, tea etc which I drank loads and used my milk allowance in them.

Back