• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Prescribed orlistat

im just big boned

Hi gang,

Well took the plunge and went docs today to get the ball rolling, she was lovely about it and said she would send the referral off straight away and list all my ailments too!! She also gave me orlistat, ive never been too keen on taking these but she said it was part of the process and i have to go back every month to be weighed, im worried that if i take these and lose weight with them then they wont give me the op because i could do it on my own.......
Has anybody taken these? Any advice?
Thanks for reading
Sue x

JennaMeri

Hi gang,

Well took the plunge and went docs today to get the ball rolling, she was lovely about it and said she would send the referral off straight away and list all my ailments too!! She also gave me orlistat, ive never been too keen on taking these but she said it was part of the process and i have to go back every month to be weighed, im worried that if i take these and lose weight with them then they wont give me the op because i could do it on my own.......
Has anybody taken these? Any advice?
Thanks for reading
Sue x

I took Orlistat for a while... and it 'worked'. I lost 1.5 st and then promptly gained that plus almost a stone after stopping it due to it being unavailable from the manufacturers. :( Never bothered restarting it after that. It was never something I wanted to be on long-term... 'cause when I say it 'worked'... it REALLY worked. I couldn't eat ANY fat at all and I only had to take it once a day for it to continue working for the next three days. Just prepare yourself and when they say start just taking one to see how your body reacts, definitely do it! You never know, you're body may tolerate it well and you won't have the intense side-effects that I had. I don't even want to imagine what would have happened if I'd actually taken it three times a day. *shudder* lol If it's part of the process though, then just make sure you're prepared. G'Luck! :)

Leda

Hello, I was on orlistat for a year in 2002. You have no problems if you don't eat fat but if you eat normally you had better be near a toilet is all I'll say! Lol. I lost 4 st on it in the year but was quite ill every now and then with pancreatitis which is very painful. I put the weight back on after too. About 5 yrs later I tried them again for 6 months (max allowed this time) and that's when I saw they had added pancreatitis as a side effect! I did lose 2-3 lb week on them when I usually lose 1-2lb without, good luck though with your journey x

Tra_cey1969

Buy extra toilet roll be prepared to be constantly trying to flush yellow oil down your loo, wear disposable or very cheap underwear..

im just big boned

Oh my giddy aunt.....really dont want to take these, will try for a couple of weeks and see how i go, if i get bad wind suppose i can blame the kids at school!!
Thanks for the replies
Sue x

Neisie

I took it for about 6 months, didn't lose any weight but ruined a lot of undies and had to run to the toilet every time I farted in case orange oil would spray out. Not the fondest of memories!

top_kat

I never experienced those problems when I used it in the past so it doesn't necessarily mean that you will encounter those difficulties either! :)

Flickalicious

Bit of a weirdy! XD
I had 2 seperate sessions on it. The first, my diet was more relaxed and so the consequences were dangerous. Second time I stuck to a different diet like glue and didn't have any gross effects just struggled swallowing those horse pills! I didn't lose weight either time. Though prior to the op I couldnt lose anyway.
Have fun lol it's an experience!! :p

drylaw

just another of those hoops we have to go through i'm afraid .......yes you will have the dreaded side affects if you have 2 much fat in your diet but if you keep to between 3/5 g per meal I think you will be ok ......yes don't fart unless ur on the toilet lol and a spare pair in case of accidents lol
good luck

im just big boned

Haha thanks for the insight! Lol, if they work and i manage to lose weight with them will they just refuse me surgery because i can do it on my own? This is what im afraid of because i can lose a couple of stone but then put 3 back on, this has been all my life, thanks

jodie 79

I wouldn't have thought they would refuse u just on that alone they look at the whole picture not just individual things... I've been through the weight management clinic and have been using oralistat for the past year losing 4 stone and gaining 1 due to stopping smoking and am now waiting on my 1st hospital appointment for a sleeve as recommended by the clinic....u have to jump through all the hoops they ask you to to prove you are willing and capable of changing ur habits....oralistat is one of the hoops unfortunately :0)

MayraF

Heya! Just wanted to see how you're getting on in general and if you're ok taking Orlistat!

Let us know how you're getting on

xxx

im just big boned

Aya mayra,

I havent plucked up courage to take them yet......im gunna start on friday so im off work at weekend just in case they dont agree with me
Thanks for asking
X

Lozberry

I've lost 3 stone 9lb since July with them sticking to a low fat diet no side effects at all! Good luck I'm starting my pre op milk diet today :) x

Jenny196

Each area has different rules. Your BMI will be a factor but depending on any other conditions you may have this may still mean you get to have the surgery. Whichever area/trust you are with its a very long road, and they do need you to try different things first. You never know, this may be all you need and kose the weight you want to.

Good luck with your journey,

Jen