• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Protein...How do you get yours?

BIG KIM

I am a *NEW* Man!
I know this subject has been discussed many times, but I just wanted a clear understanding of how people get their daily Protein intake?
My dietician told me to stay away from Protein Drinks etc, she said they are only really suitable for athletes??

Thanks

KIM :)

Fish like tuna and salmon are high in protein, as is crab. Check out the cans in the supermarket. I do use protein shakes, they are on the list provided by my team. I guess they all have their own opinions. I just make sure the ones I have are low(er) in carbs.

I am a huge advocate of getting in your protein any way that you can including the use of protein supplements. It turns out that some dieticians don't recommend supplements and instead encourage you to take in as much protein as you can with food alone. Which after the first 3 months post-op, you can do if you put serious effort into doing it. You should always listen to your own professional advice but I would also be sure to educate yourself by doing your own research. That is how I found out about the encouraged use of proetin supplements in America where they have been doing wls for longer and the number of surgeries they do per year is triple what is done here. The idea that only body builders or athletes use protein supplements is very untrue, all over the world people who want to be fit & healthy use protein supplements to help them maintain a high protein/low fat diet. If you want to use protein supplements just make sure to use a good quality product that has low carbs, comes from whey (avoid soy based products as we don't process them well as bypassers) and has less than 200 cals per serving.

In order to get the highest level of protein I can, I make sure that my meals are 50% protein, I always eat 2 bites protein to one bite carb. I eat alot of chicken, fish, dairy products, beans, nuts and I use protein powder in shakes, cakes, ice cream etc. However you do it, as long as you are able to get 60+ grams per day minimum you are doing well.

Hope that helps,
Nic:p

It's all well and good teams not encouraging taking Protein Supplements but sometimes it's the only way.

I am exercising LOTS now and eating less and less prorein foods, so I need to get the protein in somehow.

I have gone off all cooked meats now, Lamb, Chicken, which used to be my favourite, I have also gone off sea food and fish and what little else I do eat, I certainly need my protein through the Whey Protein method!

Just started sloppies and am making sure that i have at least 1 glass of milk plus meat fish or beans in every meal

I'm with Nic and use both food rich in protein and protein supplements which I always add with splenda to total yoghurt. 2 of those per day plus foods makes me usually well over 100gms of protein per day.

M

Thanks All. :)

Hi rim

Like yourself i was was never advised to use a protien suppliment either but rather to eat a healthy balanced diet. Until very recently i never used a protein suppliment and have had no problems with losing weight, healing or any sort of health issues at all !

I do though agree with what PG says, though from a slightly different perspective - i believe it important that we re educate ourselves in healthy eating and eat the right balanced diet, if you dont and do rely on protein suppliments to get protein in then you will struggle longer term, the bypass will only take you so far, and eventually you will need to rely on your knowledge of food and diet to take you the distance, its far to easy to buy liquid shakes you dont have to think about than actually put thought into what your eating, although PG advocates protein suppliments i know she has a keen interest in food and nutrition too, and suppliments her healthy balanced diet with extra protein.

I do now use a protein shake daily, though i use this as a training aid, i've found that because i've increased the intensity of my daily exercise regime i cant get enough calories in and find the shake first thing in the morning helps increase cals in quickly and gives me an added energy boost, i also use a muscle feed while i'm running with gives me sugars, salts and a balance of amino acids to help repair muscle mass on the go.

The easiest and most simplest way to get protein in is to eat meat ! - high in protein, low in carbs and fats and is simply the easist way without much thought, the leaner the meat the better, turkey has less fat than chicken and is slightly higher in protein too. Dairy is good, but be careful as whilst it does contain protein you also have the fats and sugar content too.

Just had one of the best protein meals you can get, mushed up bake beans, with 2 x boiled egg whites blended in for good measure. very tasty too. :)

Just had one of the best protein meals you can get, mushed up bake beans, with 2 x boiled egg whites blended in for good measure. very tasty too. :)

Sounds foul :8855:

Actually reading back Mixy made a good point about protein - like myself his level of exercise has significantly rose, and like him i'm finding i cant actually get the amount of protein in a day to replace the calories i'm burning, so like Mixy i've turned to a protein suppliment to help increase my protein levels...... its a good point mixy and sorry i missed it mate. ;)

I love the way you ask questions just as I am thinking of posting the same question, thank you.

Hi Everyone, I'm quite new to this and am trying to find ways of getting enough protein. I noticed someone asking if you can get too much protein but I remember from school biology that our body naturally eliminates any protein not needed by our bodies. That is of course assuming that we are able to consume enough in the first place.

I found lots of great meal tips here so will drop by again soon. Thanks everyone.

I was told by my dietician that any protein not needed by the body will add extra calories so you dont want to eat lots more than is recommended. I was trying to eat 80/90g per day and the dietician said to stick to 60/70g :D XX

i always make sure i have at least 1 pint of milk a day and the rest of my meals/snacks usually consist of chicken, cheese, eggs, beans, quorn, fish, other meats etc

i used to add a little protein powder to a milkshake or something when i was on the liquid/sloppies stage post op but stopped using it once i moved onto solid foods

Im 6mo rny post op still due mostly shakes and some food. Eggs/ham/turkey. I try to eat the most my pouch will let me that day the rest I finish in shakes. I try and get 100g a day.

Back