• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Protein Supplements/shots

Ahh, shucks, thank you for the lovely compliment.;)

I really am happy to help when I can. I LOVE being on here because I learn so much and if I can pass that on, well then I absolutely will:D!!

:)Nichole:)

Proitein tips:

Parmesan cheese is a very concentrated protein source, just one teaspoon can add several grams to what you are eating and in such a small amount it is low fat.

Prawns are a terrific natural source of protein, they offer bang for the buck as Americans say. They are almost fat free, can be frozen almost forever and defrost in minutes under cold running water. They also add more protein grams than their equivalent weight of cheese, yogurt or milk!

Low-fat string cheese is a tasty snack, has the nutritional value of a glass of milk and is highly portable for people on the go.

Just thought I would share since not everyone can afford protein supplements;)!

Holland and Barret were doing a buy two get third free on the protien shakes and bars, i have tried both, the shakes are pretty tasty and the chocolate one tricks your minds into thinking you have had a proper milk shake (just make sure its ice cold) the bars on the other hand are euukk!!! like chewing cardboard.
Going to try some of the other flavours latter this week!

Just so you all know, that elite supplements where you can get the RTD Met Rx are having 30% off at the moment.

:woohoo: thanks for sharing Erin, just ordered 2 more boxes :)

Caroline, the choc-mint is yum :p

Bump for HC!

oooh should i add the one i found the other day -

Maximuscle Promax

yummy :) and cheap!

oooh hc which ones are you going for?

probably the ids shots. With having the girls now im finding that breakfast is becoming later and later in the day. especially when one of them decides that she is getting up at 4.30 and then you cant leave her unsupervised. I didnt like the ready made carton was it mex rex and need something i can grab without mixing if time is restricted.
think i will go back to holland and barret and get one of each flavor and see how i get on with them befor ordering in bulk.

Cool. Don't use them as a substitute for breakfast though, just a top up! I've found that since changing how I use protein supps (from meal replacements to a snack between meals) my weight losses haven't half sped up! So now I'm having 3 protein rich meals a day and 2 protein shakes.

thats my plan shel at least i know if im up for 5 hrs befor the kids go to school i will have a head start.
The other day i got up at 4 with one little girl and we came downstairs unfortunatly due to her autism and obsessive behaviours and poor behaviour management coping stratagied shes a rocker but likes to hold yr hands i couldnt move from her for 2 hrs i managed to make her breakfast at 6am get her dressed and then because she has leaky guts the tummy ache started so we were rocking again for an hour. my son made me a brew when he got up at 7 ish but other than that it was gone 9 by the time i could tend to my own needs. i had to be out of the house for a meeting at 9.30 so between having a shower getting dressed and having my oatibix i thought if i had some ready made protien shots i would be one step ahead of the game.

what do you usually have for yr breakfast?
carole

if i have time, ham and eggs! well...egg. scrambled. I have a microwave poacher aswell to do poached egg on toast. I often have carbs with breakfast but then don't really have them with lunch/tea, so i might just have a peice of toast with low fat cheese spread on it. Have a protein shake mid afternoon, and one in the evening.

Has anyone had any negative effects with having the protein shakes? Ie stalling, too much protien (is that possible?)

Has anyone got any new reccomendations please?

No negative effects at all. My weight loss is faster with them. I've just got a new brand to try today which is far lower carb than what I was using, and so far so good! I've made an iced coffee style drink with it which is yum. The new one I got it Dymatize Elite Whey Dymatize Elite Whey (908g) which has only 2g of carbs per serving. I got the Gourmet Vanilla.

In my previous diet life one I did for a while was "the idiot proof diet"...when I was doing that (low carb etc) I had protein shakes for breakfast and found them fab....I used the Holland and Barrett own brand Vanilla...they do choc and strawberry but not to my taste.....I made them with lo-lactose milk (less milk sugars) and in the summer a few ice cubes and it was delicious...not bad with soya milk either...good thing is if you like them they do them on 1/2 price every so often which helps as they are £19 each giant tub

link to what in the stuff
http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/vf/labels/002694HB.pdf

Lactose Free Protein Drinks

does anyone know which taste any good, what are out there etc???
I have an intolerance to dairy can only have small amount each day :mad: and have been told that they are all I'm allowed for the first few weeks.

Any help advice welcome

Ali

I did a little digging ( lactose intolerance & whey protein - HealthCastle.com Community ) and you should be okay with most protein shakes that have less than 2g carbs. This is because 'lactose' is a sugar & what you are sensitive to so if the drink is a whey (milk) product but has less than 2 carbs you should be fine. Everyone is different so you may have to try a few until you find the right one. Here is a link to a post all about protein supplements (most should meet the less than 2 carbs, just double check before you buy).

http://www.minimins.com/surgical-weight-loss/67707-where-get-tasty-protein-supplements.html

HTH,
Nic

Thanks Nic

i've had a quick look myself. I did phone a couple to see if they did samples and they didnt. I wouldn't mind paying as it seems alot of money to waste if dont like them. I only "do" strawberry and choc the others make me want to throw up. I'm going to see if my bro or his mates have got any isolates think they be ok.
The dietician said that cans of slimfast were ok i dont think so, so I phoned them and sure enough not ok. Did tell her that even them made me bad.

Thanks

Ali

Back