• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Question about injections after surgery please

Purple Sparkle

Hi

Am not to good with needles and a bit worried about the blood clot injections I have to give myself when I get home.

Any hints or tips from you guys would be appreciated :)

thanks

Justine x

Hi,

I used to inject myself with Daltaparin ( not sure if spelling is right ) when I was pregnant with my younger two children... I only stopped in February. It took me a while to get used to doing it but after a while it was ok.
I found injecting in the underside of my arm easier.
Xx

I remember being so nervous about this before my surgery, I hate needles and just thinking about it made me feel sick.
The needles are really fine/thin, they are not the traditional syringes you see on TV - these are pre loaded pen type injections that retract once administered. None of this helps though, right? So how about this;
You get shown how to do it and practice before you get discharged
You could get someone else to do it for you sometimes
Change the spot you give it to yourself in (thigh,, tummy, upper arm - the more well padded the better)
You could numb the spot first (creams available, or ice cubes?)

They were nowhere near as bad as I had built them up in my mind, although I never learned to love them! Much better than a clot though.

Good luck, if you are brave enough for surgery you're brave enough for the injections.

and you may not need to have any. I was banded on Monday and only had one whilst in hospital. It depends on how your surgeon operates.

They are fine, you just have to think they safeguard against life threatening blood clots. What are you more afraid of, getting a clot or a hypodermic needle? You just pinch your flesh a little, slowly and gently insert needle, depress plunger, and remove. It will sting for a minute, and will bruise you. But it's just two weeks. You are brave enough to have your guts sliced and diced, you'll cope with few needles.

Thanks for your helpful and straight talking advice ladies xxx

if you inject in your tummy, most of the time you will feel absolutely NOTHING at all. If you do feel anything, it's very much a non-entity.

I had pregnancy related diabetes a few years ago and that's where they had us inject. in your arm or leg, it stings.....

Back