• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

referall

sarahhj

Hiya everyone so glad to have found this site and how brilliant people are doin i went to see my gp other day and at last he has referred me to walsall team i am 18 stone single mom with two small children have back pain and asthma,but i am now worried just in case they refuse me xx:( I have tried every diet and pills going lose some then always end up putting twice as much back on!

Hi and :welcome: to Minis!

Wahaay! Another member of the Walsall Manor posse!

I was talking with Terri (tesmaralda) and Sam (wannalose8stone) this morning and we said that there are quite a few of us pre and post-op Walsall Manor peeps now. So far I can think of

tesmaralda
wannalose8stone
waynetta
craftyfox
me

post-op
jenk
wannaloose18stone

Apologies if I have missed anyone off. Add yourself if you are pre or post-op Walsall Manor!

Hi Sarah,

welcome to Minis. Youve come to the right place for support and advice, and theres quite a few of us on here that are awaiting surgery at Walsall.

Im at the same stage as you, I was referred to Walsall on 11th December but am still waiting to hear back with my first appointment.

I live in SUtton Coldfield, and theres a few of us from north birmingham and a couple from sandwell. Whereabouts are you from?

Hiya all thanx for replys i live in the walsall area,and waiting for letter of referral date but getting worried now in case they refuse me!

Hiya all thanx for replys i live in the walsall area,and waiting for letter of referral date but getting worried now in case they refuse me!

The waiting is awful isnt it Sarah. If your GP has referred you, and you meet the criteria then try to remain positive that you will be accepted.

thanx for your help hope to have a letter soon for referall date! Does anybody know what mr.khan,s like is he sympathetic because my doctor wasnt!

Last edited:
Sarah, I have been waiting 4 weeks since GP referral so far and not heard from Walsall yet, but am taking matters into my own hands today and making some phone calls to chase it up. Ive been told that your initial appointment tends to be about 6 weeks after GP referral so try not to be too impatient hun x

Hiya Sarah,
I'm also having surgery at Walsall Manor, the waiting is awful, but now you've found this forum you can have a good moan or gloat and everybody understands and cares. Sooo good luck and look forward to following your journey with ya chucks. x

Hi sarah welcome to minis when I had my first meeting at walsall it was with Dr Hartland and he is really nice, he talked me through all the options and asked me what i thought and what op was i thought was right as it turned out we both agreed on a bypass. As brunnette said once you have got through this stage you are then put forward for funding not to sure of sandwell pct criteria(will have a look when ive down this) Once you get the funding approval you are then added to the waiting list. My letter stated 20 wks from being added to the waiting list not from seeing the hospital.
My referral from gp was done on 4/9
saw dr hartland @walsall on 24/10
funding approved 9/12
added to waiting list 23/12
Pre Ops 27/2 for bloods and respiratory function and 24/3 for anaesthetist.

Have checked Sandwell Pct Criteria and they the sam as BEN pct so if your accepted by Mr Khans Team your funding shouldnt be an issue.
Hope this has helped speak to you soon

Hi, Sarah.
Welcome to this wonderful forum.
I had an appointment with my GP last night and he agreed to refer me to Mr. Khan at Walsall.
There's no way I would have even got that far without the support of everyone on here. You'll get loads of help and encouragement.
I look forward to tracking your progress.

Good Luck X

:)Thanx everyone hope i recieve letter in the post soondid u ring up the hospital wannalose8stone,and if so what did they say!xx:)

:)Thanx everyone hope i recieve letter in the post soondid u ring up the hospital wannalose8stone,and if so what did they say!xx:)

I was given a bit of a runaround to be honest. Was a bit upset about it yesterday so didnt post.

My GP confirmed that referral was sent on 18th Dec and told me to ring Mr Khan's secretary if I wanted to chase it up. So I rang her, and she gave me a numer for someone else within the hospital, so I rang her and was told she didnt have it, and as all paperwork was up to date she said I should go back to GP for him to reissue the referral. So... rang GP again to be told they would not reissue yet as has only been 3 weeks since sent and xmas and new year etc etc. I know its been only 3 weeks since the letter was sent but even with xmas post it wouldnt take that long to arrive, which made me doubt whether walsall are actually up to date with their paperwork or whether she was just fobbing me off...

SO back to square one really. I thought about making a doctors appointment and asking him to chase up, but I think I will give it another few days first and see if it has miraculously appeared at Walsall yet.

I do know that someone else who is waiting for paperwork to be sent from walsall to PCT is also in limbo at the moment wondering what stage she is at.

I HATE WAITING

Hi Sam, I'm with you on the waiting thing.........I hate it, but it seems looking through the forum the the nhs is a long process in most areas. I wonder if this is to put you off? I'm not in your area but I've been waiting since referral in Jan 08, but all areas are different....I've had 1 appt with Endicrinologist and now nearly there for dietician and then after that it's PCT for funding approval then surgeon. Just try to keep your chin up hun and be patient - which I'm sooooo not but am learning to be through this process xx

Chin up girls, especially you Sam. Give it a couple of weeks, then try walsall again, because from experience, if you ring again you may talk to someone different, who can be arsed to get you an answer. Thinking of you both and keeping my fingers crossed that you will get some news soon. x

Oh no sam thats not good news but i hope u get it sorted soon,has anyone on here got a bmi of 36 because thats mine but i heard you had to be 40 to fit the critirea hope not cus i have chronic back pain asthma and depression do you know if the consultant takes this on board?xx

sarah if you have "co-morbidities" then your BMI only needs to be 35+. someone did post a list of the comorbidities once but not sure where. Your GP wouldnt have referred you if he didnt feel that you would meet criteria

Back