• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

regret bypass?

mintball

Lots of advice on here, time to make the ultimate decision for me this weekend. Here's a question to anyone who has had the bypass....

Are you glad you did it or do you wish you'd perservered with conventional methods?

I reckon just from all the advice given on this site, which good and bad has been absolutely invaluable, I know what your answer is going to be but just trying to narrow things down to yes's and no's

Ive never regretted it, i know im early days yet. But i will admit to having a few will i ever be able to eat a normal meal again like when i went to my sisters and she had done a lovely roast dinner for me and my son and i only managed 5 teaspoons i felt so guilty knowing that she had slaved away and i coudnt do the meal any justice. But now 5 1/2 weeks on i can enjoy normal food its all about taking yr time eat slow you will enjoy it eat fast you will suffer.

The feeling you get when seeing people who you havent seen for a couple of weeks is fantastic as the compliments roll in. Cant wait to see relatives that i havent seen in ages in a months time.
My confidence is sky high.
it has been so worth it.
Hc

I dont regret it for one minute now things are easing up and my stomach settled down its the best thing I could of done. Already I am feeling the benefits, I sleep better at night, have had only 3 headaches which I used to get daily, I dont sweat like a hog when I hoover, I can walk and talk at the same time without getting out of breath, I actually enjoy having a bath as I when I get out I can actually get dry.....should I have had the band? No not for me I would have cheated at times, this way there is no way you can do that...the best thing though is I have lost the guilty feeling when I eat because no matter how much I want in my head my tum wont let me have it...xx

this is the kind of stuff i needed to hear, real life, if you're reading this and have horror stories to tell, feel free. all information is welcome

It's all the stuff I need to hear too, prior to my chat with the consultant on Thurs:D:D

Yeh thanks for asking this question i have just been approved for surgery and i am becoming anxious my family in particular keep saying you will regret this and you know that you could be making a huge mistake and that i love food and i wont be able to go out for a meal ever again aaaaahhhhhhhh, they putting me off and driving me mad.

So to here so many positive things makes me feel happier about my decision.

Helen
xxxxx

I am only 7 weeks out (almost) and I can pretty much eat whatever I want as long as I eat slow, chew & pay attention to the fat/sugar ratio. Even then, a little tiny bit of something 'bad' will not ruin me if I fancy it. The journey is really a short one back to 'normal' so don't fret.

It seems like forever when you are doing it but if you are anything like me, you have suffered far worse at the hands of some 'miracle diet' that you did for a month or two and then gave up on because you realized it was crazy and unhealthy (cabbage soup diet anyone???). This time you are going to do well and the changes will come without much effort which gives you time to train your brain to eat healthy.

It is a great gift to give yourself and you will be happy you did it, I think those who regret it are hard to find. They are rare but do exist, one way to make sure you are not one of them is to educate yourself and be realistic plus have a positive attitude.

HTH
Nic;)

I'm not quite 4 weeks post surgery so can't really comment on this. All I can say is that so far it has been a totally positive experience that has changed, not only my stomach size but my whole attitude towards food.

I'd recommend it to any one who is obese and has tried every other method of weightloss with no, or very little success.

I could possibly be having my surgery in Jan. Despite wondering still if I am doing the right thing I just have to hope and pray everything will be fine.

Gonna get my passport signed tomorrow and send it off with a letter saying I need it back soon so I can have wls.

I am just over three months out &, I have to confess, it is only in the past couple of weeks or so that I have come around to thinking it's not so bad!!

You are, I am sure, well prepared with the invaluable advice & experiences here, but I would say, whatever happens, hang in there - it DOES get better! The 'bumpy' times are just wee glitches, don't compare yourself to others as everyone is different & remember we're here, whatever you decide!

Like you say, the "Yays" have it! You go for it!

Hi, I want to add a note of caution if I may. I weigh more than you and have so far lost 4 and 1/2 stone in 3 months with W8. I would really really have to be soooooo desperate to have an operation to lose weight. I would suspect from your statistics that you have around 5 stone to lose, I have 13 + and two other women on W8 have 14 + and they are not even remotely thinking about doing this. I can see why some people need it, one of the ladies who has answered you is 4'10 and appears to have weighed about 30 stone (apologies if I got that wrong). She would have got to the point of no return, nothing she could do normally would work so I can understand her doing this but as the banner above this thread says the operations are last resort and change your life forever. Good luck to everyone who has had one but it is not an easy option or solution. I personally believe that the satisfaction YOU could get from losing your weight in the normal way would far exceed any life time committment to a drastic and what can be life threatening operation. This is just my view of course but as they say its for life not just christmas. good luck with your decision.

I agree, it really is a 'last resort'. I was referred for surgery directly via my Diabetic Clinic. I was advised that the only thing I could do regarding my weight & health was to lose a lot of weight in a short time, which was the bypass. I probably would have plodded on as I was otherwise.

You're right, it is NOT an easy solution, IS lifelong & drastic.

I would say, unless you are at least 95% sure you want/need the surgery, don't have it. And make sure it is for the right reasons. Vanity & 'being a size 10" does not qualify for this. It should purely be pased on health, in my opinion

Absolutely no regrets :D

Now 5 months post op, have reached a BMI in the overweight range as oppose to Very Obese.

My kidneys no longer excrete blood and protein.

My joints no longer hurt to the point where I needed prescription painkillers daily just to function.

I can get out of the bath myself.

My mobility has improved considerably.

I have self esteem and confidence!

Food no longer controls me. It isn't that ever present thought in my mind.

I can physically manage to work 61 hours per week! (just lol)

I am more willing to accept that my husband loves me.

I am more willing to accept that my friends like me.

I personally believe that the satisfaction YOU could get from losing your weight in the normal way would far exceed any life time committment to a drastic and what can be life threatening operation.

I am extremely satisfied with the weight which I have lost through my own hard work and determination. The surgeon gave me the tools, but I chose to work with them.

excellent post shel

Hi, I want to add a note of caution if I may. I weigh more than you and have so far lost 4 and 1/2 stone in 3 months with W8. I would really really have to be soooooo desperate to have an operation to lose weight. I would suspect from your statistics that you have around 5 stone to lose, I have 13 + and two other women on W8 have 14 + and they are not even remotely thinking about doing this. I can see why some people need it, one of the ladies who has answered you is 4'10 and appears to have weighed about 30 stone (apologies if I got that wrong). She would have got to the point of no return, nothing she could do normally would work so I can understand her doing this but as the banner above this thread says the operations are last resort and change your life forever. Good luck to everyone who has had one but it is not an easy option or solution. I personally believe that the satisfaction YOU could get from losing your weight in the normal way would far exceed any life time committment to a drastic and what can be life threatening operation. This is just my view of course but as they say its for life not just christmas. good luck with your decision.

Guess it depends on how you are defining 'normal way'. Sadly for a lot of obese people the 'normal' way leads to yo yo dieting, weight gain and doesn't always succeed in re-educating your mind and body.

A huge amount of research has been done into bariatrics and the strain (no pun intended!) that overweight people put on the NHS services and for some doctors, surgery is starting to be viewed much more as the norm.

You have to do what is right for you but don't feel you have to struggle and be a martyr to traditional weight loss techniques when there are now powerful, mopre effecitive and relatively safe tools at your disposal.

(Getting off my soap box now.....................)

:wave_cry:

Thanks for your post but i must add i lost 6 stones 7 years ago (put it all back on again) and 7 stones 3 years ago (put most of it back on again). I am looking at this operation as prevention rather then cure. I have been under my GP for weight related issues for 17 years and I'm only 31.

I have a 5 year old daughter who i want to protect from all my "new guaranteed weight loss diets"

Losing weight isn't always the problem, its keeping it off. After reading many of the posts from the brave people who has chosen surgery as an option, i don't feel this is an easy way out and i think they have comitted to a lifelong change that is not going to be easy.

On all these diets the "normal way" you can have a day or a week off, i certainly wouldn't undertake something so drastic as a whim. I also don't feel like the decision to have surgery should be made on people's weight alone, there are so many other factors.

Sorry for the rant, its just these are the comments i hear all the time from people around and i'm sorry to speak on behalf of people who know a lot more about it than me

I have only 6 stones to lose which is not a lot compared to some but when you try, try and try again and nothing happens but your weight increases there is no other option, my health was suffering and my life was becoming miserable. Only five weeks after the surgery my life is already so much better. I can sleep at night, dont have daily headaches, can breath when I walk, look forward to having baths and going to bed and doing housework because I know I wont be sweating buckets over the slightest exhertion. I take a pride in myself now and walk down the street with my head held high and whilst people are not yet noticing the weight loss as I gained a stone whilst off work sick with mild depression they know something has changed because they all comment on how well I look. I dont come straight back into the house and want to put my comfy pjs on now either I stay dressed and my clothes are comfy. So yes a last resort but one that people of all sizes and with all conditions can have to totally turn their life around.....xx

I can relate to everything CG says. I am currently circa 10 stones overweight and having bath is a nightmare. I can get in, but cannot get out without excruciating pain in my knees and every chance I will fall and hurt myself more. I have no energy, don't want to go out, get dressed etc.

I feel about 20 years older than I actually am.

Roll on my bypass date...

Twice 'what the hell have I done' has entered my head. One you can't really count because it was immediately post op - as in within hours!!!

Has regret ever entered my head, a simple and resounding - NO.

I want my life back, I haven't always been so drasticly overweight. On July 15th 1995 I had a very nasty car accident and my weight piled on from there. I became an extreme yoyo dieter, why extreme? I would lose between 6 and 8 stone. Now my knees are shot to pieces and both need replacing URGENTLY. I'm only 42.

Back