• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

regret bypass?

Having the bypass is the best decision i've ever made. I only wish i had made the decision sooner instead of uming and arrring about it for 3 years.

Hi - I too am 7 weeks post and although every now and then i have to remind myself that this is "it" food wise for life, in terms of the small amounts, i am so glad that food is not the focus of my thoughts anymore and that, already, i feel like a new person.
Yes - there was some pain
Yes - i regurgitated a lot - am a slow learner
Yes - i had to stay off the wine for a bit - i did really Sam (lol!)
Yes - i was constipated
And a host of other minor glitches as previously said.
However - i only go back to work on Wednesday this week so all this has happened at home, in private and in my recovery time.
Now - only 2 stone down i take more care with my appearance, i go out with my friends and have a fabulous time rather than feeling so self concious all night, i have been out to eat twice (its much cheaper!) and i dont snore anymore, my joints dont hurt coming down the stairs, i can walk further faster and dance around like a loon on regular occasions! there is way more room in the bath and the bed too! at first i found mealtimes anti climatic as i would be looking forward to sunday lunch but could only have pureed but now my meals are just as good as before but smaller, slice of toast for breakfast, banana mid morning, half a chicken breast for lunch with small salad, yoghurt mid afternoon or for supper and salmon and salad for tea with plenty water in between. You dont crave the crap like you used to as the time you are off solids gives your body time to adjust and you have plenty of thinking time too. I take on board what the ladies who have had success with W8 say and am very pleased for them. but personally at 43 having been overweight since a child, i wanted to live the rest of my life not counting, measuring, recording what i have eaten etc. i wanted my food to mean to me what it does to other people, just food and nothing more and now finally it does, sorry to go on but i just wish this had been something i had been able to have years ago and now finally i feel that i am going to show on the outside the person i am on the inside. xxxx

xxxx

:giggle:

You are doing fab Jan. Keep up the great work:party0036:

Ive asked to be put back to at least August so that it doesnt clash with the training in my new job. The hospital said I would have probably been looking at August anyway, but now at least I dont have to worry about them calling me in at short notice.

Hi - I too am 7 weeks post and although every now and then i have to remind myself that this is "it" food wise for life, in terms of the small amounts, i am so glad that food is not the focus of my thoughts anymore and that, already, i feel like a new person.
Yes - i was constipated
However - i only go back to work on Wednesday this week so all this has happened at home, in private and in my recovery time.
Now - only 2 stone down i take more care with my appearance, i go out with my friends and have a fabulous time rather than feeling so self concious all night, i have been out to eat twice (its much cheaper!) and i dont snore anymore, my joints dont hurt coming down the stairs, i can walk further faster and dance around like a loon on regular occasions! there is way more room in the bath and the bed too! at first i found mealtimes anti climatic as i would be looking forward to sunday lunch but could only have pureed but now my meals are just as good as before but smaller, slice of toast for breakfast, banana mid morning, half a chicken breast for lunch with small salad, yoghurt mid afternoon or for supper and salmon and salad for tea with plenty water in between. You dont crave the crap like you used to as the time you are off solids gives your body time to adjust and you have plenty of thinking time too. I take on board what the ladies who have had success with W8 say and am very pleased for them. but personally at 43 having been overweight since a child, i wanted to live the rest of my life not counting, measuring, recording what i have eaten etc. i wanted my food to mean to me what it does to other people, just food and nothing more and now finally it does, sorry to go on but i just wish this had been something i had been able to have years ago and now finally i feel that i am going to show on the outside the person i am on the inside. xxxx

A brilliant post, Jan!

Hiya

I had my bypass one year ago and to date ive had no real problems , and im now starting to feel normal again like i was years and years ago.

I had a good read about befor ethe bypass and thought i was in for a ruff ride but its been ok.

So to answer the question YES

i would do it all over again if i had the chance. even if i was not to lose anymore wieght from now on 17 stone is better then 26 stone and i save money as i dont eat as much :D:D:D

Except from takeaway food . when if i fancy something i have to pay for the whole family grrr £20 for a small portion of chips :D:D

Yes - i was constipated

I so agree with you Jan!
After a life time of food ruling my life - I am now finally in charge!!
I can accept all social invitations without worrying about 'breaking my diet' or 'nothing fits me' (well that is sometimes the case but it's too big not too small!!); I LOVE exercise - I can run now - yes I am one of those annoying women you see runiing in the park with a smile on her face!! I can shop anywhere and everywhere and I can finally get back to my life long passion of horse riding without worrying if the horse will have a heart attack. Life is full of fun and food is where it deserves to be - a mere fuel to help me enjoy life!!

I have to say that opting for the sugical route is the hardest decision I have ever made.
I know that it is a lifestyle change.
I am scared that I will feel guilty for not being able to eat a full portion when out for dinner with my hubby.
Scared that I wont be able to 'have a break from it' unlike conventional dieting.
Scared that it will affect my social life which revolves around eating & drinking.
Scared of the post op period in case I mess up.
Unsure of how I will react to people who 'diss' this route as an 'easy option'.
Worried about how I am going to afford to replace my wardrobe (but looking forward to that bit too).
BUT................................................
I also know that I need help to sustain the weight loss. I can lose weight, I have done it sooooo many times, but I can't sustain it!
I gave up smoking - 20 years ago at least, that was in easy in comparison to dieting! You have to eat, its what you choose to put in there that makes the difference!

I thank God that my GP listened to me (the person who knows best what will work for her - the expert patient) and that my family are supporting me, because if they hadn't, I dont know where I would've turned and what I would've done.

Enough!! I can't be this big any more - I need my life back and this is my chosen tool to get it back.

I have a provisional date of 10th June at Walsall, so , new life here I come!

Kazzie my social life has taken off since I had the bypass, due to loosing weight and lowering my BP I am off a medication that prevented me from drinking I can now go out and drink and I eat out regularly I just dont eat as much. People seem to think that a bypass means 6 months down the line you can only eat tiny portions but its not true at all. You wont need to have "time off" from it because its not like a diet its a whole new way of life that you can incorporate into your every day life. I have never ever felt so fit and well, I have no guilt when I eat, no daily headaches due to sleep apnea and feel ten years younger.....I bet you six months after your op you will look back and think "what was I worrying about"....good luck chick its so worth it...xx

Yes - i was constipated

Such a good positive post...xx

Back