• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

regret bypass?

Have I ever regretted it my answer is a simple Yes at the very begining and sometimes when i get myself in a state and cannot comfort eat!!!!!!

Otherwise this is the best thing I have ever done in my life, it is by no means easy, you have to work damn hard but it is worth it..... alot of people who have this op on the NHS don't get it for just being overweight, it is a hard process for some to actually get funding.....

Has it changed my life - Dramatically..... I can now accept who I am, I don't care if people don't like meand most of all, I have never been so happy and content with my life!!!

well i just had a phonecall from the hospital and i do not have sleep apnoea, so on the plus side i don't have to sleep with the c-pap but on the down side, the nhs are not gonna fund my surgery. Either way i can now make my decisions without waiting for this phonecall and that test results, its all down to me and mine now x x x

Awww minty I'm really sorry you can't get the funding hun, but can you afford to go private? I couldn't:eek:

can't afford it but for my mental health, hubby has said that if PCT won't pay for it we'll re-mortgage, or move or do whatever we have to do

can't afford it but for my mental health, hubby has said that if PCT won't pay for it we'll re-mortgage, or move or do whatever we have to do
Awww bless him:eek:

good luck lisa with whatever you decide to do. I havent posted on hear for over a week because i have been busy but just to let you know that i had a band fitted just about five weeks ago which i paid for privetely, i had my post op x ray today and have lost over one and a half stone already and still havent had my first band fill yet, and yes its the best thing that ive ever done and yes it has been worth every penny even though i had to finance it. xx

Shel, you are consderably taller than me and weighed a lot less, but from your post you had some unpleasant things happening to you. But like you I have all those things, lack of self esteem etc especially not believing anyone could possibly like you. Far be it from me to tell anyone what to do but the girl asked for views and this is my view and so it would appear that most of the people who have answered her have the same opinion as you, that is fine but if I had asked that question I would want as broad a range of opinions as were available. I am not saying you are wrong and I am not saying you are right in the choices you have made or anyone else who chooses this option but it should never be taken lightly or based on the evidence alone of people who have taken the option, that is not a balanced view. DO IT OR NOT ITS A PERSONAL CHOICE, just be prepared fully for what it means ultimately. Sorry my views don't concur with yours.

Hi Lisa, sorry about your news chick but at least you can now go to plan B....speak to you soon you know where I am even if its just to moan about this awful weather...xx

thanks linda, sorting mortgage thursday and hopefully getting a tad closer to a date

Well said Shell. I don't regret my op at all. Most of us had the op due to health reason. You can be overweight get a health condition and then you are unable to lose the weight or have a health condition and gain the weight then can't get rid of it. In both scenario's it's often impossible to shed the weight. This operation is a life changer. How you look is the bonus the real deal is how you physically feel. I can honestly say 6 months ago I could see myself in a wheelchair in five years time due to a back problem. Three months on from the bypass and 41/2 stone lighter and I know this will not be something I will have to face. The first few weeks take a lot of adjusting but now I can eat any foods but in moderation, a treat is 1 sweet not a whole tin of quality street. I think I can speak for most of us on here saying that we have done most of the diets, the weight comes off, sometimes, but goes back on again plus more. For most of us we didn't have the option, healthwise, to let this continue.

Hiya

I can honestly say that I have never once regretted having the op xx

I've not read anyone elses replies.

In all honesty, yes i have regretted having the surgery. I have found the emotional side to the surgery very difficult. The fact that i've lost nearly 4 stone at times has not outweighed the psychological difficulties that there are. Which comes from not being able to comfort eat, when i'm having a bad day, or even a particularly good day, i can't eat what i want, when i want. It has been very difficult.
Half the time i can't be bothered eating. For example, i've not eaten for 2 days now, because i just don't care for food, when i want have something quick and simple without worrying about the fat and sugar content. It pisses me off that there is such a small, and expensive range of low fat/low sugar foods in the supermarkets.
I have a 16 month old and a husband that i take care of and most of the time, after making sure they're ok, i can't be bothered with food myself. But then i have the guilty feeling of not treating my body any better than i did before, by eating, and remembering to take my tablets.

I'm about 9 weeks out, and most of the above has settled down drastically. I'm starting to feel the weight loss, and am really looking forward to losing more. I don't think about food anywhere near as much as i used to. I don't feel the need to comfort eat as much. I can eat mostly normal food, although i still have the 'can't be bothered' attitude. Life in regards to food and eating is completely different, and in the early days, i really wished i had tried just one more diet.

In all honesty, i know for a fact one more diet wouldn't have worked. This surgery was my last hope, and all of hard stuff has been psychological, all in my head, and i'm starting to get ok with it all, which means i regret it less.

I have never felt the need to comfort eat since the day the PCT awarded me funding...I have also never not been able to eat a little of something that I fancied. I dont check the fat/calorie content of everything I eat, the occasional treat is not the end of the world. I always had a healthy diet prior to surgery it just took so much more food to fill my large tum. I am extremely content and happy with my eating habits as they are now and Mr Ammori said it will increase a bit more yet to allow more in. I feel it was the best thing after having my kids that I have ever done. My new found confidence, despite not having lost loads of weight yet makes me feel I could move mountains and boy this girl will be living life to the full in the near future....I told Mr Ammori he had given me back my life and I meant every word...xx

Shel, you are consderably taller than me and weighed a lot less, but from your post you had some unpleasant things happening to you. But like you I have all those things, lack of self esteem etc especially not believing anyone could possibly like you. Far be it from me to tell anyone what to do but the girl asked for views and this is my view and so it would appear that most of the people who have answered her have the same opinion as you, that is fine but if I had asked that question I would want as broad a range of opinions as were available. I am not saying you are wrong and I am not saying you are right in the choices you have made or anyone else who chooses this option but it should never be taken lightly or based on the evidence alone of people who have taken the option, that is not a balanced view. DO IT OR NOT ITS A PERSONAL CHOICE, just be prepared fully for what it means ultimately. Sorry my views don't concur with yours.

The question asked by the OP was do you regret having a bypass. To wade in and tell her that she would feel better losing the weight the 'normal' way is opinionated and, to me, rude.

but as the banner above this thread says the operations are last resort

Sorry to be picky but it actually says last HOPE - only words but slightly different meaning!

:blahblah:

I've not read anyone elses replies.

In all honesty, yes i have regretted having the surgery. I have found the emotional side to the surgery very difficult. The fact that i've lost nearly 4 stone at times has not outweighed the psychological difficulties that there are. Which comes from not being able to comfort eat, when i'm having a bad day, or even a particularly good day, i can't eat what i want, when i want. It has been very difficult.
Half the time i can't be bothered eating. For example, i've not eaten for 2 days now, because i just don't care for food, when i want have something quick and simple without worrying about the fat and sugar content. It pisses me off that there is such a small, and expensive range of low fat/low sugar foods in the supermarkets.
I have a 16 month old and a husband that i take care of and most of the time, after making sure they're ok, i can't be bothered with food myself. But then i have the guilty feeling of not treating my body any better than i did before, by eating, and remembering to take my tablets.

I'm about 9 weeks out, and most of the above has settled down drastically. I'm starting to feel the weight loss, and am really looking forward to losing more. I don't think about food anywhere near as much as i used to. I don't feel the need to comfort eat as much. I can eat mostly normal food, although i still have the 'can't be bothered' attitude. Life in regards to food and eating is completely different, and in the early days, i really wished i had tried just one more diet.

In all honesty, i know for a fact one more diet wouldn't have worked. This surgery was my last hope, and all of hard stuff has been psychological, all in my head, and i'm starting to get ok with it all, which means i regret it less.

I do agree with you on this one....... I liek you have struggled, mentally and go threw the can't be bothered, I struggle alot with the comfort eating!!!! as that was always a real problem for me!!!!!

You know where i am should you ever wanna chat

for some of us surgery is an absolute last resort and we are all well aware of the risks and don't go into just a quick fix to a problem some of have had for years if not decades. Whilst I understand you have your opinion and that its great that you can do it by yourself and have the satisfaction of this but again many of us have been there also and for one or several reasons have never been able to keep it off. As Shel said the health benefits far outweigh (excuse the pun) everything else and everything else on top of these are just an added bonus.

Back