• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

regret bypass?

I think at the end of the day it is a personal decision, you have to look at your life now and how you want it to be in the future and decided based on that if surgery is the opition for you.

I can't comment on regretting it or not as it is not an option I am facing however, I do want to wish you the best whichever way you decide to go, and I know that we will all be here to support you.

I've been over-weight since I was about 5/6 yo. I am now 27. I cannot remember what it's like to be slim or 'normal.' I am now grossly overweight. The most success I've had dieting since I was about 20 is losing 12lbs twice with Unislim (similar prog to WW), losing 14lbs with Xenical, and losing 3.5st with LL. I piled on 5st after that in less than 2 years. Since I came off LL I've tried CD and LT to no avail. Today I have a week's worth of CD still in my cupboards. Maybe it's pride that keeps me clinging to the notion that I will succeed at dieting some day. Even if that day comes I know I won't succeed at keeping it off. :(

I have a problem with food and always will have. I do not use it as others do solely for fuel. I have a mental obsession and I hope that with WLS and OA I will have freedom from it someday!

I've been over-weight since I was about 5/6 yo. I am now 27. I cannot remember what it's like to be slim or 'normal.' I am now grossly overweight. The most success I've had dieting since I was about 20 is losing 12lbs twice with Unislim (similar prog to WW), losing 14lbs with Xenical, and losing 3.5st with LL. I piled on 5st after that in less than 2 years. Since I came off LL I've tried CD and LT to no avail. Today I have a week's worth of CD still in my cupboards. Maybe it's pride that keeps me clinging to the notion that I will succeed at dieting some day. Even if that day comes I know I won't succeed at keeping it off. :(

I have a problem with food and always will have. I do not use it as others do solely for fuel. I have a mental obsession and I hope that with WLS and OA I will have freedom from it someday!

I really hope you do chick, I loved food so I know slightly were your coming from....((hugs))....you will get there one day and I hope its soon...xx

I don't regret my op for one second, if I had to do it all over again I would. I've lost 6 stone now and aside from looking a bit better, I feel fantastic, healthier and fitter. Plus I'm starting to act like the old me again, instead of the one who wants to hide away and see no-one.
It's a hard decision to make though and you have to prepare yourself for the ups as well as the downs as sometimes they can be just as hard to come to terms with x

Lyn,
We're very similar. From what i've been told, i started putting on the weight around 8years old. I have never been 'normal' and the most i've ever lost is 4 stone, kept it off for 2 years then put it back on along with another 4 stone. My mother tried to put me on my first diet when i was 10.
Food has always been my friend. I have a mental addiction to it also, like you, it was never something to use as fuel, only something to use for my emotions. Like drugs. This is something people who've never struggled with weight don't understand. They think all it takes is will power, eating a balanced diet and exercising. They don't realise it's an addiction and an illness, as anorexia is an illness.
This is why it's been so hard for me, i've had to very quickly withdraw from my addiction.
Thank you for your honesty,

Erin xx

Lyn,
We're very similar. From what i've been told, i started putting on the weight around 8years old. I have never been 'normal' and the most i've ever lost is 4 stone, kept it off for 2 years then put it back on along with another 4 stone. My mother tried to put me on my first diet when i was 10.
Food has always been my friend. I have a mental addiction to it also, like you, it was never something to use as fuel, only something to use for my emotions. Like drugs. This is something people who've never struggled with weight don't understand. They think all it takes is will power, eating a balanced diet and exercising. They don't realise it's an addiction and an illness, as anorexia is an illness.
This is why it's been so hard for me, i've had to very quickly withdraw from my addiction.
Thank you for your honesty,

Erin xx

Ditto the above for me. Thanks for the honesty and the very best of luck in your journey to conquer the food beast.

Thanks ladies. :)

oh my god i have a date for surgery!!!!!

24th jan!!!!!!!!!!

Lisa !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow that was quick well done Lisa.....I take it all went well with your funding last thursday....at least you can enjoy christmas and then start the new year off on a high....xx

nope, having to fund it ourselves...gutted

but my absolute guardian angel (Mr Ammori's sec - Louisa) Is still fighting to the death god bless her and won't give up until the very last minute.

Its amazing to have someone on ur side so much that it almost seems to matter as much to her as it does to me, I know its her job, but she doesn't make you feel like that.

The woman is fantastic and I say that no matter what the outcome of funding is, no-one could have helped any more than her and if i have to pay for it myself then i can definately say - we couldn't have done any more!!

cheers for the well wishes,

gutted about the funding but as i say at least i can go into knowing there was nothing i left to chance...i harrassed to the end.

All I need to do now is work out how to do a ticker countdown, i'm crap at all this!!

nope, having to fund it ourselves...gutted

but my absolute guardian angel (Mr Ammori's sec - Louisa) Is still fighting to the death god bless her and won't give up until the very last minute.

Its amazing to have someone on ur side so much that it almost seems to matter as much to her as it does to me, I know its her job, but she doesn't make you feel like that.

The woman is fantastic and I say that no matter what the outcome of funding is, no-one could have helped any more than her and if i have to pay for it myself then i can definately say - we couldn't have done any more!!

Lisa I agree Louisa is wonderful and goes far beyond her roll....she is a little diamond and I am glad she was on my side....I made a friend there and I will hold on to her...xx

there was never a doubt for me, i had a couple of consultations but I'm going with Mr Ammori at Spire hospital in Manchester.

When i go under that anaesthetic, i can go under knowing i'm in the best hands and with a surgeon that cares too.

I'd given up on getting funding and rang Mr Ammori's sec to say i want to book a date and go private, to which she replied well we'll book this date and that will give the PCT chance to get the letter etc.

I felt bad and said, oh i didn't go ahead with the appeal therefore didn't send in any further letters, it was just taking too much out of me emotionally so i'm gonna go private to save my sanity.

I know she said, you didn't write a letter, Mr Ammori wrote a 3 page letter to the PCT outlining why he believes i should get funding!!!!!!

I didn't know a thing about it, i mean what does it matter to him weather its private or NHS ( its possibly better for him that i go private) - he did this on his own accord and i'd only met him once!

Probably not the textbook way to chose a surgeon but as i mentioned earlier the best feeling for a patient is that i feel they care as much as i do, and thats golddust x x x

That's great new hun:D:D

Lisa its because Mr Ammori cares about his patients...when my PCT said I had funding but had to go to Macclesfield he was also writing them a letter but I went straight to the department of health so there was no need for him to then write....I think it proves he does not do it just for the money...xx

i know, they've all been fab, thats why i feel really settled that i've done the right thing. I provisionally booked my op at a different place but something just didn't sit right and i still can't really put my finger on what it was.

Whatever the feeling of unease was, its not there anymore

Thats half the battle Lisa you need to have confidence in your surgeon and his staff and you obviously have as do many of us on here....it wont be long till your on your pre op diet and I feel so very excited for you....mine happened in such a whirl I cant remember the feeling...think I was scared in case it was just a dream and I would wake up lol..xx

Back