• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Regrets?

Has anybody on here got any real regrets about having weight loss surgery? Or has it really failed for anyone?

Just trying to get a balanced view x

i have no regrets at all ! oh yes i have only 1, THAT I DIDNT HAVE IT DONE SOONER !!! its changed my life in many ways was the best thing ive ever done x

liz xxx

I have regrets - regrets that I didn't get the level of care that I should have and have been left with nerve damage, pain, problems swallowing and dumping syndrome - had to have my band out because it was just so horrible.

At the same time though, I am pleased I tried it becuase I now know that for me a bypass is probably the only way forwards - many of the foods I enjoy I could not eat with the band (fruit, salad etc) - this isn't the case for everyone, but I lived on soups and pureed foods for over 18 months. I understand from the people I know who have gone from band to bypass that living with the bypass is so much easier - quite what that means I am not sure...

I feel very let down by my first hospital, If my GP hadn't insisted I get a second opinion, I have no idea where I would be now.

I only know of one person who absolutely regrets her surgery (RNY) - wishes she never had it done, but she is plagued with numerous problems, and the surgeon was not that experienced...

I just regret not having my bypass sooner than I did.

xxx

Babyflower - it sounds like you had a bit of a rough time of it! I know that there can be complications in any kind of surgery, let alone the aftermath of something so life altering as weight loss surgery.

I still want it though! x

For me , not having it sooner as well, though there was no way I could have afforded it before and the NHS route was proving too difficult. After surgery, probably knowing the bypass would have made it easier for me BUT couldn't quite afford that. Getting my head straight and actually learning that I still have to really WORK at weight loss, eg follow a sensible eating pattern and exercise as the band can't work all by itself. It's still hard but with the band I stand a chance of sticking to my plan and reaching my target. Plus every stone that goes now is not coming back.

I like everyone probably regret not considering WLS ten years ago, but if I'm being honest with myself I will admit to the odd regret regarding the foods I can no longer eat, and the huge capacity I had for food.

Food was a huge part of my life, and I would look forward to consuming huge portions of it as often as I could. I miss that a lot. I miss these foods more than regret not being able to eat them.

I guess regret is too strong a word, as I am simply over the moon with my results so far and would recommend WLS to anyone who is ready for it.

Just ignore me I'm babbling again :(

Ooh, lots of replies. Thank you all. It's interesting to get a variety of ideas.

Karlos, I understand what you're saying about missing certain foods - but I'm pretty sure it's worth (certainly looks so from your results!)

x

Babyflower - it sounds like you had a bit of a rough time of it! I know that there can be complications in any kind of surgery, let alone the aftermath of something so life altering as weight loss surgery.

I still want it though! x

Yes I have had a rough time, but now with different surgeon, different hospital and the whole experience at the moment is very different. Wish I knew back then what I know now. Despite my problems I haven't given up!

The fall from the band not working was bigger than it ever was from failed diets, i felt that my last chance had slipped away. My first hospital (who I cannot mention due to ongoing complaint) made me feel like it was all my fault, not quite the case as I later found out...

For most, the risks and complications are far outweighed by the benefits.

I'm only 8.5 weeks post op and have no major regrets so far;)The head hunger is worse at the moment, but I can talk myself round from eating crap, unlike when I was pre op:D

Nearly 7 months post op and it was the best thing i ever did gone are the days when i would get up in the morning and say well today i am going to be good and end up pouring everything down my throat. For the first time in my life i feel relaxed with my relaitionship with food and myself and i am truly happy:D:D:D. Janey

my only regret is not having sooner.
im 12 wks post op and its the best thing i ever did. im losing weight, enjoying my food and feeling so much better in myself. as the lbs depart my confidence is returning. i would describe myself as buzzing. my relationship with food has changed and my food quilt stick has left me alone. the band has given me the chance to get my life back and its my bestest friend.
good luck with your choices and journey.

There is a picture of me in my dress in my albums, right ok I looked nice every bride does but I looked massive :eek:
Oh, I really want to see your wedding pic now, but can't find it! x

Back