• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

REGRETS

Hi all I'm just wondering if anyone has had any regrets about having WLS?
Im coming up to my surgery date and really thunking should i cancel as I have a few doubts but I know I may regret it and never get the chance again! From the time I have been on here over two years most will say that it was the best decision they have made. However someone will come along soon and give you their reasons for continuing with their journeys. Ps welcome as I haven't seen you on here before plus good luck with yr journey.

I have no regrets at all (unless you count not doing it sooner a regret) I am 11 months out and over 10 st lighter, I really do have my life back, I have found it all plain sailing, good luck in whatever you decide xx

Like butterfly lady I have no regrets other than wishing I did it years ago!
From the first day of seeing my gp and asking for WLS I have not had a single doubt and thecteam supporting me have backed me all the way
I guess ive been lucky

I'm a few months out now, and I can safely say I have no regrets, except that I wish I'd done it earlier.

This was one of my questions when I started my journey and now I can honestly say...Nope! I get asked this a lot due to the many complications I have (and am still having). I know if I had not gone down this route I would have still been overweight and living in denial about how badly it was effecting my life.

It can be daunting at times, there is a lot to take in and change but I look at it this way; what is the alternative if we choose this route? We can't stay as we were (eating and mindset wise) so regrets have no place in our new lives. We have to embrace our decision. That is, if it really is the best decision for you. WLS isn't for everyone.

I wish you all the best with whatever you decide. xx

Last edited:
Hi i agree, i cancelled in June due to doubts but after a summer of bibge eating and gaining more weight I decided to go ahead. My sleeve was at the end of August and so im 2 months out. Food was pre occupying my life it was ridiculous and at least now i might still fancy those sort of foods but I sure as hell cant eat them. Its saving me money, i feel so much better and my blood pressure is now normal and my back is appreciating the benefits.
The decision is yours, it is daunting, i kept thinking what the hell are you doing, i have a friend who has amoungst other things, crohns disease, she has had most of her insides removed due to this illness, i thought i must be mad to chose to have most of my stomach removed, but then i knew it needed to be done to get a grip of my eating and my weight.
Do we know the long term effects...no but we know the long term effects of obesity..early death so in for a penny in for a pound! It has cost me alot of money but it seems worth it at the minute....good luck

I know I won't have any regrets, as long as I'm approved I'm going ahead. I was just interested in knowing if anyone on here has had any regrets. I've watched a few posts on YouTube, some people have regrets but that's more ppl that have been banded or had to have some form of revision surgery after their initial surgery.

im a little over a year post op now and regret nothing about having my band! without it i wouldnt be standing here over a year later nearly 35 weeks pregnant thats for sure! i also wouldnt be standing here feeling in control enough to think once babs is here i will get the weight off and everything will be fine x x

Im only four months out, but so far my only regret is not having the surgery 10 years ago!! I wasted my twenties being miserable!!

Im now slowly regaining my life!!

No Regrets!! xx

Ooh this is an interesting thread! I'm currently on LSD due for my bypass on the 7/11. Although there are loads of inspiring success stories on this forum I suppose I have had my eyes opened to some of the less successful journeys also. Although I understand that WLS isn't a magic wand when I hear of people having a band over a bypass, cause a bypass hasn't helped them it frightens me stupid and makes me question if I am doing the right thing. I am 9st overweight , have an emotional eating issue and have a huge problem with yoyo dieting although my bmi is 47 I'm self funded. I feel the pressure to make this work and I don't know how it will turn out because I thought it was hard to work against a bypass. I will go ahead with my surgery also but it is interesting to know of 'regrets' as such! Knowledge is power so they say!

Hi sharona, thanks for the welcome. Why do you want to cancel, what doubts you having?
Hi i think with me its fear of the op if things don't go to plan and should I just go for a less aversive procedure. Also my own doubts of working well with my tool. Basically I need to sort my own head out. I think because Im initially a shy introvert sort of person I have always hid behind my fat body. So coming to terms with losing my cover is very hard. If that makes sense
. There is a lot of soul searching pre op. Im reading a lot of self help books to overcome these issues. I know I need surgery for my co mobilities to decrease. Hope Ive helped and not put a dampers on your journey Im just a realistic and glad I'm able to share my fears on here. Best wishes with your journey.

Hi i think with me its fear of the op if things don't go to plan and should I just go for a less aversive procedure. Also my own doubts of working well with my tool. Basically I need to sort my own head out. I think because Im initially a shy introvert sort of person I have always hid behind my fat body. So coming to terms with losing my cover is very hard. If that makes sense
. There is a lot of soul searching pre op. Im reading a lot of self help books to overcome these issues. I know I need surgery for my co mobilities to decrease. Hope Ive helped and not put a dampers on your journey Im just a realistic and glad I'm able to share my fears on here. Best wishes with your journey.

Hey Sharona,

I had these doubts too at first - what if I died on the operating table, should I go for a less invasive surgery etc.

But I realised I was more likely to die early from being obese and when I was honest with myself - I wasn't REALLY LIVING anyway!! I have been just existing!!

I also thought that a less invasive (band) for me still meant being knocked out for a few hours, may as well go for a sleeve! :)

I've hidden behind my layers of fat for such a long time and four months out I'm now doing a lot of soul searching and life assessments. I'd rather do them now, smaller, than carry on wondering 'what if' being bigger.

WLS is so much more than shedding fat. It is a life transformation.

I wish you every success and good luck!! xx

This is a good question. It is important before having surgery to proceed with your eyes wide open and being aware of all the facts. I look a lot to the American forums for the regrets, complications, long timers and the success stories for this as some forums only focus on the success stories.

It's worth read - Apositive thread.....Very inspiring journey.

I did lost nearly 2 stones before proceeding with surgery and did think I could have lost some more weight with a personal trainer, counsellor, dietarian, home cook and home gym. And thought who I'm kidding I live a normal life. The WLS is 50% of the success to loss weight the rest of the other 50% is purely down to you. This is a major operation - so it important to research, sort out your issues with food (understand why you over eat, comfort or binge etc) and come up with a plan of action to keep you on track; exercise, a concrete food plan and a good support network.

Good luck XX

Last edited:

Sharona, you are doing the right thing. I spent a whole year researching and reading.... I did have doubts at first but because I was able to address some of my issues with food and understand more about my eating habits, I felt comfortable about proceeding with the operation.

Hey Sharona, I had these doubts too at first - what if I died on the operating table, should I go for a less invasive surgery etc. But I realised I was more likely to die early from being obese and when I was honest with myself - I wasn't REALLY LIVING anyway!! I have been just existing!! I also thought that a less invasive (band) for me still meant being knocked out for a few hours, may as well go for a sleeve! :) I've hidden behind my layers of fat for such a long time and four months out I'm now doing a lot of soul searching and life assessments. I'd rather do them now, smaller, than carry on wondering 'what if' being bigger. WLS is so much more than shedding fat. It is a life transformation. I wish you every success and good luck!! xx
thank you so much Hells, i appreciate the advise and i completely understand what you mean. Im really having i a good old think and writing things down pros and cons. Glad you are doing well and you look great in your pics well done. X

Sharona, you are doing the right thing. I spent a whole year researching and reading.... I did have doubts at first but because I was able to address some of my issues with food and understand more about my eating habits, I felt comfortable about proceeding with the operation.
thank you hun . I think sometimes is it because i read and look into things that is causing me the anxiety and listening to peoples stories. You are right may be i need a closer look at my over eating issues. Can i ask what was the reason for you?? All the best with your journey well done with your weight loss. X

thank you hun . I think sometimes is it because i read and look into things that is causing me the anxiety and listening to peoples stories. You are right may be i need a closer look at my over eating issues. Can i ask what was the reason for you?? All the best with your journey well done with your weight loss. X

Hi there Sharona, the reason for me. I was a big emotional eating especially when I'm stressed. I had a series of diaries from 2000, 2005, 2006, 2009 and 2013 when my weight started to become a issue. Throughout my dairies I was quite explicit about my thoughts, snacking at night, hiding foods in the cupboard from my husband and eating late at night while he was asleep. Then I remember this pattern of my behaviour from my childhood. At school I was dyslexic and It never got detected until I went to Uni. I struggled at school and hated that I could not understand the words when reading or trying to construct a sentence. So I comfort ate at home on sweets and cakes, my weight never became a issue because I was into sports and very active. What I do know now when I'm stressed is causes anxiety which results in comfort eating.
Also I kept food journal prior to having the sleeve and didn't realise I never ate enough calories throughout the day, especially for someone like me who loves to exercise. It's crazy all those years of killing myself in the gym I didn't understand why the scales didn't move, so I gave up.
Not eating enough calories encouraged me to eat more sugar and carbohydrates foods in the evening, causing me to put on weight. And bingo 15 years later I'm 21 stones.

I read a lot and started addressing my issues and changed my pattern of behaviour and guess what from June 14 I lose weight 2 stones naturally by counting calories, snacking on carrots or fruit and exercising. This surgery
is a tool to help me continue my journey and when I'm there I shall re-evaluate, and continue another journey to maintenance.

I hope have answered your question. Good luck, keep up the soul searching and research... It's going to be empowering. I feel so alive a million dollars or pounds and I'm not even half way there.
XX

Last edited:
Very interesting topic, enjoying reading as I'm also an emotional eater, glad to hear others have managed or are managing without regrets. I feel a bit scared when I hear about revision surgery so it's really good to know that even with complications there are no regrets. I know everyone is different and I could the one in future but I would rather regret trying than regret not trying at all. Anyway gives me hope that not many regrets.

Thanks for posting.

Back