• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Resistance Training

cah-ching

I like it and it has great health benefits.

How do you know when to stop?

Currently I've lightened my weight and have upped my reps. My arms ache and I think I've worked.

For instance yesterday I went to the gym, did Zumba and then worked on my triceps. I was aching and did 4 sets of 40 reps with 5Kg (my triceps are weak!)

However I went to a circuit class with my sis yesterday and the guy works my bicep and back hard!!!! Today I feel the bicep pain and back pain (ache) but my triceps .... no. I'm just wondering ..... do you guys work to fatigue (whereby you're bawling in pain lol)?

Just wondered. :)

Cahching, you are making me want to sign up to the gym... Is it true (i always thought it wasn't, however i think i'm wrong) that resistance training although helping with muscle strength does help with fat burning? As in muscle burns more calories off than fat?

I like it and it has great health benefits.

How do you know when to stop?

Currently I've lightened my weight and have upped my reps. My arms ache and I think I've worked.

For instance yesterday I went to the gym, did Zumba and then worked on my triceps. I was aching and did 4 sets of 40 reps with 5Kg (my triceps are weak!)

However I went to a circuit class with my sis yesterday and the guy works my bicep and back hard!!!! Today I feel the bicep pain and back pain (ache) but my triceps .... no. I'm just wondering ..... do you guys work to fatigue (whereby you're bawling in pain lol)?

Just wondered. :)

DOMS is caused by the micro-fibres of the muscles breaking down during stress. So resistance exercise that stresses the muscle group tears the fibres and its this and the repairing of the fibres that causes the delayed onset muscle soreness.

It is usually increased when you work the muscles in a different way, or when you increase the intensity of your workout, but the biggest cause is when you cause the muscle to contract as it lengthens, so lowering the loads rather raising them up causes most soreness. Take biceps curls for instance, you raise the weight to the top, then very slowly lower it back down, this will cause more soreness post workout than raising and lowering quickly

Your current workout for triceps will build neither strength nor size honey, neither will working them three times a week. For strength increase the weight but lower the number of reps. Five sets of five reps with as much weight as you can lift slowly without swinging it, proper form is absolutely vital.

For size increase to eight to ten reps for three sets working to failure on each set again with proper form. No more than one workout a week for arms as you work them on every other exercise you do.

Cahching, you are making me want to sign up to the gym... Is it true (i always thought it wasn't, however i think i'm wrong) that resistance training although helping with muscle strength does help with fat burning? As in muscle burns more calories off than fat?

Hi Julie,

1) The more muscle you carry the heavier and smaller you are. ... because muscle is denser and more compact than fat

2) Unlike fat, muscle is an active 'hungry' tissue ... so it uses calories. So for arguments sake you have a set of identical twins:
Twin A weighs 14St and has a Body Fat percentage of 38%
Twin B also weighs 14St does a lot of weights/resistence work and has a BF% of say 20%

Twin B weighs the same, but what you'll find is Twin A will be fatter looking.

So for instance there are a lot of Boxers, Rugger Players and Athletes who have high BMI's because they carry so much muscle - but they are extremely healthy and very very very fit.

So the theory is, if you incorporate resistance/weight training into your schedule you'll build a little muscle also which aids greater weight loss even when standing still (because it's 'hungry')!

Also weight training acts as a cardiovascular work out. OK it may not be as strenuous but you still burn calories and you'll still raise your heart rate.

Weight bearing exercises are also very very very very very very very good for your bones, as it increases bone density - especially for women to stave of the onset or occurrence of osteoporosis.

I hope what I've said makes sense to you?

Hi Julie et. al,

Just found this:

Cardiovascular exercise on machines such as treadmills and exercise bikes burns more calories than lifting weights, so is it just a waste of gym time to add strength training to your workout?

The simple answer is no. Working your muscles as well as your heart and lungs can improve your health and help you drop a clothes size faster.

"I only exercise to lose weight and get thinner. I can burn far more calories doing light cardiovascular work than heavy lifting, shouldn't I just stick to the treadmill?"

While cardiovascular exercise is a great way of burning the fat, adding a little strength training to your workouts will earn you extra calories every day. You'll even be burning extra calories while you're sleeping or sitting on the couch watching Eastenders.

Aerobic exercise may burn a few hundred extra calories for dinner, but for every additional pound of muscle you gain, your body burns around 50 extra calories every day of the week.

Research has shown that regular resistance training can increase your Basal Metabolic Rate by up to 15%. So for someone burning 2000 calories per day, that's a potential 300 extra calories, more than a Mars bar, burned every single day.

Do not be disheartened if initially you seem to be staying at the same weight or gaining slightly.

Muscle weighs more per square inch than fat, so whilst your weight might not be dropping very quickly, your clothes are feeling baggier and you are seeing a healthier, slimmer and better toned you in the mirror. That's far more important than anything those nasty scales have to say, any time......................

rest of the article here:

The Benefits of Weight Training

Back