• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

RNY - Weight Gain

sydenham

I havent posted for a very long time but even in the early days of my surgery my posts always had the same theme to them. In a nut shell, I had my Bypass 7/4/11 and pre op lost exactly 2 stone. Post Op, I then went on to lose another 3 stone by July.
My issue was that I never felt I had anything in common with the other WLS patents on the Forums or that I met at groups or that I met up with individually.

They all talked about restriction or dumping etc and to give you an example, I went for coffee with a lovely lady that had the op two weeks prior to me with the same surgeon. We ordered a jacket potato with cheese and beans. Three mouthful's and she was done - but I ate all of mine with gusto, whilst she looked on in amazement.
My family have all asked "but I thought you had to eat differently when you had WLS?"
The point is - so did I, but I can eat anything and everything.

Now I am sure when this is read, I will be in for some tough criticism from a few but what I need to stress is that what I do have in common with those mentioned above is that I have the mentality of a fat person, so I am inherently greedy.
I have spent the majority of my adult life yo yo dieting and after several years of drumming up courage and deciding on a loan, I believed that the Bypass would be my answer. I required something to be in place that would deter me from over eating.

When I last saw my surgeon in August he was surprised that I had gained weight but neither of us said much about it, I was sent a copy of the GP letter and that was it. The weight gain has continued.

The straw that broke the camels back happened on Christmas Eve in the Supermarket as I was shopping. I was tapped on the shoulder by a woman I didn't recognize and she asked how I was doing. I was frantically
trying to put a name to the face but when she asked about my weight, I fell in.
She had the Bypass two weeks after me with the same surgeon but her 8 stone loss meant I just didn't know her. She looked amazing and we started to chat. I told her how unhappy I was and we compared our eating habits. She can eat bread but only just about half a sandwich - I could eat a whole baguette.
She eats from a side plate - I eat from a dinner plate and eat the same as the rest of the family and in the same quantity.
She never feels hungry and really makes herself eat - I do feel hungry and have done all along.

She said but you have to tell the surgeon so I came home and emailed him. I had felt too embarrassed to do so before as my weight gain had continued but was reassured when I had a reply.

I have an appointment tomorrow to discuss these issues and actually feel a bit better already as I have now taken the first step to attempt to resolve my difficulties.

Bless you Suzanne, i hope your appointment tmro can help yu back on to your weightloss journey xxx

OK. I get exactly what you are saying. To get as fat as we were/are we all did the greed thing.

I am a slow loser and have seen those who were 'done' after me melt away before my eyes. I am still a size 18/20 - OK, a mahoosive improvement on the size 24/26 but I'm still not that 'teeny tiny' size we envisage on our rose-tinted view of life beyond WLS. And it's been fooking *hard* to swallow (excuse the pun) at times.

We are all individuals and you may know already the reason for your slow loss (or gain). But a good honest chat with your surgeon may give you the boost you need.

Please don't be a stranger. This forum isn't just for those starting out or the 'success stories'; it's for the strugglers too. People like me. And you.

PM me anytime. xx

Firstly, may I say how brave you are to have posted this.

I was bypassed in June, and like others I do feel restriction, half a sandwich and I am done, I can eat the inside of a jacket, but I do struggle etc.

And the lady was right, you must speak to the surgeon about this, you may need an investigation to what's going on.

Please keep us updated and remember if you get any negative feedback, just ignore it, its support you need like the rest of us and that's what we are all here for.

It must be heart breaking to be in that situation hun and i feel for you, going through the surgery is bad enough,
I really hope you can get some help hun and that 2012 will be a better year for you (((((hug))))) xx

Are you eating plenty of protein first?It will fill you for longer and aid the weight loss.Carbs are more easily eaten and wont fill you or give you nutrition.
Go back to basics for a week or two and see how you go.

awww bless ya, good luck tomorrow :) xxx

Thanks for your honest post. I can (if hungry) eat a baguette but have only done it once. However a dinner plate the same size as the families is not something i can manage... I think your surgeon could do with investigating your pouch size etc.

Thank you so much for your honesty and please oh please don't be a stranger xxx

Hi there and welcome back to the site I really feel for you you must be going through hell I kinda of understand what you are going through my self am 2 weeks post op and don't feel like I'm getting any where it may be to early for me to be worrying realistically but I really empathize with you good luck taking to your surgeons hope he can come up with some answers for you best of luck keep us updated

Aw sweetheart ... I will be thinking of you tomorrow :wave_cry: I really hope your surgeon can explain why this should be. Maybe something that can be resolved by another op ... harsh but might be the answer. Good Luck, honey xxx

Hi there and welcome back to the site I really feel for you you must be going through hell I kinda of understand what you are going through my self am 2 weeks post op and don't feel like I'm getting any where it may be to early for me to be worrying realistically but I really empathize with you good luck taking to your surgeons hope he can come up with some answers for you best of luck keep us updated

i too can empathize with you as like jonny i dont feel i am getting anywhere - am very interested to see what your surgeon says, and hopefully he will not charge you if you need another op - doesnt seem right when you had to pay for it, and it hasnt worked - do let us know - who was your surgeon? thoughts and prayers go with you xx

Hi Jonny,

I think you, Cathy and myself had our ops at a particularly difficult time of the year with the Christmas festivities so close. I am have found the time since I came home from hosptial challenging in a number of ways but I am trying to focus on the gift we have been given.

Someone who was operated on on the same day as myself was told by the UCH Dietician not to expect any weight loss in the first 6 weeks as their body would go into to starvation mode and hang on to the weight. They did not tell me this and I hope this is not the case. I have kept to the fluids since the op but must admit that I would now like to move to the next stage as I feel so weak. I am going for a walk every day, not far but enough to keep me active. I hope things do improve for you soon Jonny.

Kind regards,

Thank you all so much for your words of encouragement. My appointment is at 12.30 tomorrow and I will post the result of that.

Doughie:- I didn't think it fair to mention the surgeons name and removed it from my profile. He has an excellent reputation and is well loved and respected - I also didn't want to worry any pre opper that maybe was about to go with him. I appreciate that I am just unusual but hope that something can be done. Thanks for your kindness.

Thank you all so much for your words of encouragement. My appointment is at 12.30 tomorrow and I will post the result of that.

Doughie:- I didn't think it fair to mention the surgeons name and removed it from my profile. He has an excellent reputation and is well loved and respected - I also didn't want to worry any pre opper that maybe was about to go with him. I appreciate that I am just unusual but hope that something can be done. Thanks for your kindness.

no problem mine does too which is why i took him off - just wondered if it was the same one no one on here seems to have had the same surgeon as me which suprised me really

Good luck for 2moz hun n welcome bk x

sydenham said:

I think you are very brave and also very good to remove the surgeons name. Especially as he is a good surgeon.

Maybe your pouch is too big and needs more work. Could be anything I guess. Really hope it gets sorted for you soon :) xxx

I'm sorry about your problems Syd. How very upsetting for you!
Most of the posts we see from worried people are those who can't keep food down but I have read elsewhere of the very rare problem of not having any restriction. In those cases I have read about either the opening from the pouch to the intestine was not small enough or that opening and the opening to the stomach was too big. in effect food would then enter the stomach but pass through very quickly, thus not causing a feeling of fullness. The answer was revision surgery. Of course your case may be very different but just wanted to let you know that this does,for whatever reason, happen to some people very occasionally and you are not alone. I really hope your surgeon can help you. You did very well to lose the 3 stone post op as you must have been using pure will power, with no help from your pouch at all !
Good luck
xx

All my heartfelt good wishes to you for today, I hope the surgeon can answer your challenges for you & find a way to resolve them with you.
Thank you to for your openness & honesty it's brave of you I hope there is an answer for you soon.

Back