• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

RNY - Weight Gain

Omg Suzanne you are a life saver as like you I have gained weight, it is slowly but surley creeping back on and after having the op this is something I didnt think was possible, I can eat a whole sandwich, I can eat a jacket potato, and boxing day I went for a meal with family and eat 3 courses no problem all washed down with a bottle of wine :( which is another of my problems.

Good luck for your appointment and I will be watching out for your surgeons reply :)

I hope that you can see from the replies that we are all different and cope differently. Other people struggle and your posts and others like it can always be understood by many. We are not in a race and this is a support group. I hope that you feel more supported by us then you have felt previously. Please keep us up to date with your progress. I for one send you lots of special thoughts and a big wrap around hugn xx

Good luck today with your appointment

Hopefully the responses here have helped you feel that you can and really should post more often.
As a support group, when we struggle and things go wrong thats when we are needed to help each other the most.

Take care and well done for takig the difficult first step of approaching the surgeon:):)

Hope that you get the news you need today, will be thinking of you. Remember that we are all here for you through the good and bad times, if people choose to frown upon you let them, this is not your doing!!!
Stay strong as things will get worked out hun
xx

You have all been so wonderful, thank you to everyone that has read my thread and taken the time to reply.

I saw my consultant today as planned and I must say he was calm and patient. I felt nervous but said what I planned to.
He asked me to be honest and state exactly what I ate in a day and I told him the truth and said that I had gone back to the old ways of my former life - putting on weight, getting fed up, so therefore going on to comfort eat and so pattern continues.

He explained and drew a picture showing my pouch and where it joins on to the intestines/bowel. Apparently the pouch is less likely to stretch but the bit that it is joined on to, can and does stretch if the patient continually overeats. He insisted that, like everyone else, my pouch is the size of a thumb.
He reiterated that WLS is also about getting the mindset right and disciplining yourself to do what we are taught is right - so protein, veg and carbs, in that order but served on a side plate, sensible snacks and 2 litres of water.

He wants to see me monthly from now on to monitor my progress and I will keep you all informed.

Now after having said all of this and relaying it all to my family, I have to be honest and say that I am still a bit disillusioned as the surgery has not performed as I expected it to.
Rightly or wrongly I took it for granted that having a Bypass, I would lose the weight, be restricted from eating what I shouldn't and maintain the losses. I intend eating as per his instructions and see how much I can lose prior to our next appointment. I will go back to the gym and my daughter is also taking me to Zumba twice a week in the New Year.

All I can do is see what happens - he certainly didn't mention operating again/revision etc. I will post any updates but just want to say thanks again for your replies and wish you all a Healthy, Happy and Peaceful, New Year.

How frustrating for you; not only do we have to put up with the guilt of constantly thinking we are greedy, feeling ashamed as we feel a failure, lacking self esteem as we feel fat and unattractive...to top it all you then have to feel hungry on top of it all, as just one more reminder, just in case you did not already feel bad enough!! Hope things go well tomorrow for you. All the best.

Good luck hun . I am pre op so have no words of wisdom , but offer my support xx

Thank you for you post and you defo not on your own here. I had my op 4 month ago, I'm really glad I had it,but looks like I can eat absolutely everything,inc chocolates and etc, which doesn't help my weight loss at all. My taste hasn't changed, I still crave everything what I craved before this op. Quantities are different from what it was like before but it still seems quite a lot to me.I'm still loosing weight but everything I said above scares me as I believe that this is a straight footpath for me to become morbidly obese in future...

This is a good thread and has made very interesting reading. Thanks to sydenham for being brave enough to post it. It must be very hard reading about the weight dropping off some people and for you to have been struggling. I hope that the posts have reassured you that no person has the same journey and it is not always easy for some people. It is easy to say that any wls is a tool and I am as guilty as the next person as I say it a lot - but it really is just that. You still have to come to terms with all the issues that made you seek surgery in the first place - and that is not easy. I am glad your consultant is taking things seriously and is now monitoring the situation and hopefully will help you to resolve the issues. You may want to consider something to help you like counselling/therapy for the comfort eating - that is a tough nut to crack as I know all too well. Good luck and best wishes.

tranquil x

I am pleased the consultant wants to keep an eye on your progress. Its hard because it sounds like you have to diet like before i.e hunger, trying not to eat as much as you can etc.

Really hope it works out for you in the end chick xxx

You have all been so wonderful, thank you to everyone that has read my thread and taken the time to reply.

I saw my consultant today as planned and I must say he was calm and patient. I felt nervous but said what I planned to.
He asked me to be honest and state exactly what I ate in a day and I told him the truth and said that I had gone back to the old ways of my former life - putting on weight, getting fed up, so therefore going on to comfort eat and so pattern continues.

He explained and drew a picture showing my pouch and where it joins on to the intestines/bowel. Apparently the pouch is less likely to stretch but the bit that it is joined on to, can and does stretch if the patient continually overeats. He insisted that, like everyone else, my pouch is the size of a thumb.
He reiterated that WLS is also about getting the mindset right and disciplining yourself to do what we are taught is right - so protein, veg and carbs, in that order but served on a side plate, sensible snacks and 2 litres of water.

He wants to see me monthly from now on to monitor my progress and I will keep you all informed.

Now after having said all of this and relaying it all to my family, I have to be honest and say that I am still a bit disillusioned as the surgery has not performed as I expected it to.
Rightly or wrongly I took it for granted that having a Bypass, I would lose the weight, be restricted from eating what I shouldn't and maintain the losses. I intend eating as per his instructions and see how much I can lose prior to our next appointment. I will go back to the gym and my daughter is also taking me to Zumba twice a week in the New Year.

All I can do is see what happens - he certainly didn't mention operating again/revision etc. I will post any updates but just want to say thanks again for your replies and wish you all a Healthy, Happy and Peaceful, New Year.

The very best of luck with getting everything back on track, honey xxx :)

i so feel for you - we know it is a tool but we expect the tool to work - i havent lost anything for the last 3 weeks and am getting really fed up and could so easily go back to the old ways

i do so hope this will work for you suzanne, i hope that you can do it its a shame he hasnt actually checked the pouch to see if there is a problem -

xx

Good luck to you! Any support you need can be found on here!
x

So glad your consultant is taking you seriously & monitoring you closely to help you get back on the road to a slimmer you.
May I suggest a book that helped me get my head in the right place pre-op it's called the emotional first aid kit for bariatric surgery, it is an American based book so not 100% geared for the British market but it helped me cope with the mind set, that & accepting the surgery is only a tool for us to work with. Starting every meal with a protein based food adding in vegetables next & finally the carbs. It's tough at times no new life style is easy but it is worth it& we are here for you every step of the way, I find for me adding my twopennies worth when members ask for help makes me focus on what I have been told & should be doing so in helping others I help myself stay focussed, that doesn't mean I don't slip occasionally & need to reassess my habits old & new as I am certainly far from perfect . Keep us informed of your progress & we are all here for you when you need us.

Hi Suzanne, thanks so much for posting about this. It is good to hear what your surgeon says and great that he will see you regularly to check on your progress. Please please stay on here and post, regularly so we can see how you are doing and support you when the going gets tough:)

Hi Suzanne, how stressful this must be for you. I had my surgery 2 years ago. I had lost 2.5 stone on the pre-op and so I was 14.9 by the time of my surgery. I got down to 10 stone in 8 months with no problem but now realise how easy it is to put back weight. Over (and the run up to) Christmas I have put on 7lbs and am now trying to get that off. My first thought was that your pouch had maybe not been tight enough at the outlet and was surprised your surgeon didn't suggest an xray or test to see how big it is - maybe you could ask him to test this. I still have some restriction but it is totally dependant on what I eat - crap goes through very easily and I can eat like a normal person if it is liquidy or carby but hard protein does fill me up. I have also been a bit lax with the no eating/drinking rule so it really is back to basics. If you want to test that your pouch is working adequately, why don't you do the cottage cheese test (previously mentionedon this site) or the 5 day pouch test. This will tell you whether it is your pouch that is failing or just the type of food you are eating. Im not sure how far out you are but I think after that honeymoon year we have to eat with the knowledge that if we eat badly we will put on weight. Execise is also a vital tool to keeping our weight down. I accept that I will always have a weight problem if I don't keep an eye on it but I have relaxed through Christmas and now have to deal with the extra pounds. I would suggest making a journal of various food and how easy they are to eat, whether there are any foods that give you restriction, don't drink with meals. Sit down to a plate of meat (chicken breast, pork chop etc) and see how long it takes you to get full. My guess is that you will feel some kind of restriction if you eat dense protein and work from there. Hope you find some resolution with this as it must be frustrating getting into debt and still have the same problem. x

Back