• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sam's Musings

How are you getting on lovely?

Another 2lb loss, which is amazing as I had a binge last night! My biggest craving is dried fruit, particularly dates when my stress levels go on overdrive. So finally lower than where I was at about 5 weeks ago before I stalled and gained so feeling more positive about maybe losing another stone.

Can feel my pj's and underwear getting a bit looser so something is shifting around my bum, but top half, particularly abdomen still bloated. So size 16 knickers and size 20 t shirts.

Have been working hard on meal planning this week and upping my protein and calcium as they came back as borderline on my annual LTC MOT. Everything else was fine. Nurse very pleased. :) She normally isn't one to give positive vibes, so even better. Also had my B12.
Annoyed that after all the work i have had done in the kitchen (ette) so there was more storage space to clear the clutter that was stopping me from using the oven and hob, I went to use the oven last night and it has stopped working!! More expense as that is down to me.

Still very stressed with workmen who have down a lousy job on replacing my bedroom window, so may have to go through all that again, or at least a re-paint and some hole filling. Much blue air about with the agents and even more so the guys who did it. Have had to wait 7 months for the window to be made safe because the landlords wanted to use a particular company who supposedly were very good!!!!

No news on a new date for my knee, which is a blessing until the flat is straight. Waiting for someone to come and put the blinds back up, add some new skirting board, (All supposedly getting back to me before today) and of course, the window!!!

No news on my WCA result, but then not expecting anything for a few more weeks.

Have a date to go to varicose vein clinic on Tuesday to have a sonograph and see consultant to see whether my various veins in my right leg need surgery.

On a good note, i had an email last night to say i have been shortlisted for an award that someone nominated me for. :)

Well huge congratulations on the award nomination and the 2lbs!

The rest sounds as difficult as ever. I don't know about you but I need my home straight and sorted to at least a reasonable degree to feel settled. You've had so much to deal with, I hope an end to some of it is in sight. I'm trying to find better alternatives to the sweet stuff I automatically reach for when I'm stress and feeling like I'm making a better choice does lift my mood and then I eat less if that makes sense? It's finding whatever works for you isn't it? The most important thing is that with everything you've had to deal with in the last year or so you've not given up, you've not thrown in the towel although there have been times I imagine it was very tempting. Keep going, you're getting there x

Well done on the loss and being shortlisted hunny :) xxxx

Well, had my worst experience post-op this afternoon and hopefully it will activate my brain to get out of this binge/I can eat anything/I think I am back on track cycle that i have been battling with since end of May due to all the reasons I have been posting about in this diary.

Weighed on Saturday and updated stats with the 1lb i had gained (which may have been down to a week of constipation having upped my protein and calcium levels following borderline test results) but couldn't be bothered to post anything.

Brain was in a mess after an intense therapy session and I lost track of what I was doing with my lunch. Because it was so hot I drank after food before I should have done. It was alright at the time but a couple of hours later when I parked in my drive I bent over from the drivers to the passengers seat to rescue some shopping that had dropped down by the door and ended up with a very sharp pain in my gullet that stopped me in my tracks and had me sweating buckets. Couldn't straighten up and desperate for the loo I attempted to keep going, although had to keep stopping as I couldn't breathe. Managed to make it to the top of my 13 steps and then passed out whilst trying to get the key in the door (it didn't help that my cat was trying to help me as he has worked out that the keyhole has something to do with him getting in to get his food so he puts his paw on it!). Somehow serindipitously I had managed to grab a chair that is on the top step and it stopped me from going from top to bottom! My knees however took the full force and my right one (the one waiting for surgery) particularly objected to being forced to bend. I did manage to get indoors and collapse on the bed where i was grateful for my CPAP machine to get some oxygen in and then attempt to phone someone for help so I could try and stand up to see whether the pain in my knee was so unbearable it had snapped. A few grazes and bruises on my face and knees and somewhat shook up but I can walk with an aid so waiting to see whether the ice pack and the painkillers do their job by the morning and I feel less wobbly. Decided a trip to A&E by ambulance, a long wait and then a struggle to find someone to take me home, as I couldn't find anyone available with a car, was not on the cards as it is a long way away, and there were accidents and ambulances everywhere on my way home. Having rung my GP surgery (5 minute walk away) and said I couldn't get hold of anyone and couldn't get off the bed, they offered me the option of going to the surgery if I had no friends or family to help me, or them ringing an ambulance for me! Bloody useless!!!

Was able to get some fluids in almost immediately and a little bit of cottage cheese and melon about an hour ago without too much restriction so don't think any long term harm done to my stomach.

Could do without the bloody builders in my bedroom tomorrow morning though as I need to move stuff again!! :mad:

Oh my gosh @SAM55 :eek: How scary!
What's happening with the knee now?

Oh my god @SAM55 you poor woman! That's really scary and I feel angry that the doctors couldn't be more help either :'(
Can the builders move stuff for you at least? I so wish there was more support available to you especially when you've done so much to help others x

Hugs my lovely-you poor thing :( xxxx

Have been all checked out now and no heart attacks or broken bones :)

Walked to the chemist to buy some tubigrip and arnica cream this morning, have been for hydro at lunchtime
, and my GP happened to ring me when I got in about something totally different as she goes on holiday tomorrow, so I told her what had happened yesterday as the teacher at the pool when I told her what had happened, (so she would know why I wasn't doing my usual robust exercises), said it might be heart attack. Within half an hour I was in the surgery having ECG and being checked over by the duty doctor. As my stats were normal he came to the same conclusion as me, that it was food that had come back up with the bending and had got stuck causing the pain, which caused my blood pressure to start dropping and the effort of the 13 steps in the heat made me pass out.

Even the builders only took half an hour to finish off and everything is now back in place. Just one more to come next week to finish off painting the skirting board in the kitchen.
Jeez Sam you're really having a tough time aye :(. How long now until the builders are gone? Hope you're feeling better from your stomach incident and your knee is slightly better? Sending you a huggggge hug! Take care xx
Thanks Starry :hugs:it feels like I have been hit by a battering ram! Last Builder next week (I hope) and then I can call my flat my own again. Be glad when the knee pain eases - feeling gutted that my mobility has been severely restricted again. :( Basically just pissed off with life :(

Sorry to hear life's really difficult at the moment. Hang on in there you can get through this. Keeping you in my thoughts and hope you feel better soon. Glad your home will soon be yours again soon. It will feel better once your privacy and safe place is yours again. Take care and be good to yourself.

Well that's a relief health and builders wise! X

Managed a two hour walk this afternoon at a very slow pace with my walking buddy. All was fine going up hill, but coming down was a different matter as the knee wouldn't bend - partly due to the tubigrip I think (i hope). I was determined I wasn't going to ask her to go and get her car though!! Feel better for doing it and saw lots of lovely wild flowers, great views and got away from the traffic noise. Even the sun came out at the end :) Celebrated with fresh mango with:icecream::watermelon: (sorry, no pictures of mangos but I did buy some melon as well) and low fat ice cream - yum, yum and an ice pack on my knee.

Allow yourself some compassion, you have had a time we all would have struggled with!!
Once everything settles down and your back in control the weight and eating will come good. Your alway ready with words of encouragement and comfort so be kind to yourself too. I know this is easier said than done so allow me to comfort and tell you it will be fine, you will resume control, you have worked with your sleeve and lost an amazing amount of weight, despite life throwing lots of poo at you.
Take care of yourself and let others give back the love and support you freely give them. Holding you in my thoughts and sending healing to you.

DWP did there usual trick of sending you your brown envelope so that it arrives on a Saturday morning :( Fortunately it contained good news :)

Allow yourself some compassion, you have had a time we all would have struggled with!!
Once everything settles down and your back in control the weight and eating will come good. Your alway ready with words of encouragement and comfort so be kind to yourself too. I know this is easier said than done so allow me to comfort and tell you it will be fine, you will resume control, you have worked with your sleeve and lost an amazing amount of weight, despite life throwing lots of poo at you.
Take care of yourself and let others give back the love and support you freely give them. Holding you in my thoughts and sending healing to you.
Thanks Nearly. That means a lot. :hugs:This morning has given me one weight off my mind - see other post. :)

I'm glad for the good news!
@Nearly there-1 is right and I think you've said the same to me before about offering the care and compassion we offer to others to ourselves too.
I've been listening to some interesting stuff about the psychology of eating recently and the idea that how we feel about what we eat affects how we metabolize it.I need to do some more research but we know stress makes us more likely to gain because of the affect of cortisol on the body so I can see why stressing about our diet could have an impact. So I'm dealing with a small gain this week too so I'm trying to make choices I feel happy with and go from there. Does that make any sense?! Pain meds on top of pain meds right now so I feel three sheets to the wind!

Back