• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

SHEFFIELD HOSPITALS

hi,
how long his it take to see mr ackroyd ? my consultant has posted a letter about 14 days ago to see mr ackroyed, and I’m wondering how the first appointment will go? advice please? one other thing concerns me and that's having a catheter inserted due to my prostrate trouble i have a very narrow ureather this is the only concern i have about the operation, has the last time i had a camera inserted i had to be knocked out, wonder if you can get away from not having a catheter inserted?

thanks in advance bigbeefybuilder

Hi BBB

I know nowt about Sheffield so can't comment on times etc.

Re: a catheter. Again, I don't know what's de rigeur at Sheffield but if they are one of those who are hot on wanting patients up and about ASAP then you won't need one. The first time I could see a clock clearly after my op was 5.40pm and by 8pm I was up and walking to the bathroom.

I'm under Mr Acroyd my letter was to see him about 5 weeks after I got the letter then on the day he spoke about surgery and agreed for me to go on list. I had pre op assessment 4 weeks after that and then had the op 6 weeks later. I had letter confirming date about 2 days before I started pre op diet so I couldn't really have any last foods although I had my favourite Chinese the night before pre op diet started.

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Hi bigbeefybuilder
I had a bypass 5 weeks ago by mr ackroyd and a band by him 12 years ago too! I have the utmost respect for him and his team. You're in great hands. I don't know how long it will be to see him. I decided to have my bypass done privately so I was able to make an appointment to suit me. I was absolutely terrified about the cathetar, it worried me much more than the invasive op. thankfully it's inserted when your under sedation and I was most grateful of being able to stay in bed for the first day. I was terrified the next day of having it removed, I kept thinking they might remove it before deflating the balloon. The nurse kindly talked me through everything and showed me how the balloon is inflated with fluid and she emptied the balloon and showed me as proof that it was deflated. It was then removed in what was a blink of an eye! I then felt silly for letting this worry me so much. I certainly won't go through that worry if I ever have to have one again. Good luck and I hope this helps.

Northern General

Hi

I had my op on the 25th and came home yesterday. Guess they needed the bed.

From the referral from my GP (after Tier 3) to meeting with the consultant (I had Mr. Patel) was about 3 months, another month for pre-op assessment and two months until surgery.

I have been told that there is not much of a wait list in the area.

Mr. Patel and the team were brilliant. It's the first time that I have actually had a consultant that deals with his patients directly. He answers your questions without sounding condescending, respects your needs and preferences. I couldn't have asked for better service!

Be patient. Good things come to those that wait. I'm sorry that I can't advise about a catheter. It's a bit simpler for us girls.

Good luck and good health,

Hi

I had my op on the 25th and came home yesterday. Guess they needed the bed.

From the referral from my GP (after Tier 3) to meeting with the consultant (I had Mr. Patel) was about 3 months, another month for pre-op assessment and two months until surgery.

I have been told that there is not much of a wait list in the area.

Mr. Patel and the team were brilliant. It's the first time that I have actually had a consultant that deals with his patients directly. He answers your questions without sounding condescending, respects your needs and preferences. I couldn't have asked for better service!

Be patient. Good things come to those that wait. I'm sorry that I can't advise about a catheter. It's a bit simpler for us girls.

Good luck and good health,
Hi, just letting you all know i went to the Sheffield northern general hospital on the 14th august and it went ok enjoyed the talk on what operation to have, at the end of the seminar i decided to put my name down to see Mr. ackroyed next month hopefully, and set the ball rolling, what sort of questions will he ask ? or do i need to put questions down to ask him?
it’s been a long road to get this far i started trying to lose weight back in 2009 tried weight watchers dieting with weight wise tried loads of xzenical and the other tablets, tried going to gym but ended up with two useless knees.
one of the things I’m trying to get is a new me! eating to a diet following the rules and trying to get my life back.
my bmi is 44.3
obstructive sleep apnia
chronic prostatis and cystitis
degenetive arthritis
kliefelters syndrome
hypogonadism
reactive hypoglycaemia

take a 12 tablets a day can hardly breathe when walking, I’m 54' years old and feel 70' I’m hoping that whatever option i get bypass or sleeve it might cure me wanting operations on my knees, cure the sleep apnia and help me be a fitter guy and help me live longer, any advice help what to say or just support would be nice there were 11 other people there today at ndgh (sheffield) so i might have met you, but good luck with whatever operation you will have.

thanks to all my family for your support and my two twin boys who are 11' and my wife for her support and helping me what seems a long journey to get a operation,also thanks to the people on this wonderfull site.

AND MORE
been out shopping sat morning and When we got back home found another letter to
See Mr ackroyed on the Wednesday 4th September,That was a fast appointment.looking forward To going but no idea on what to ask him.

I'm well chuffed.
Regards bigbeefybuilder

Last edited:
i was also at the seminar yesterday (14/08/2013)

it sounded like the process would be quite quick from here on in so long as we havnt gained weight from when the referral went in

im also with mr ackroyd and put my name down to go ahead immediatly yesterday. i already knew there was pretty much nothing they could tell me that would change my mind as ive been researching this for 8 years while trying everything else i and my gp could think of

Well done bigbeefybuilder and robina on making one of the most important decisions of your life. What's even better is you've chosen an excellent surgeon in Mr Ackroyd. Extremely experienced and committed to his work. As for questions he might ask, most of my conversation was with the dietician. We talked about current eating habits, which surgery would work best and why and future eating habits. Mr Ackroyd is much more matter of fact. He asked me why I thought I was this weight. Just be honest, he won't tell you off, we talked about how the surgery works and the risks. I also asked him how many of his patients had died! I felt a bit cheeky but needed to know for my peace of mind. He wasn't offended by the question, answered it and I was extremely impressed with answer. It put my mind at rest and I knew I was in safe hands. Don't forget to jot your questions down. There's so much info to take in its easy to forget to ask the things you've thought about if you've not jotted this down. Good luck and keep us posted.

Hi BBB

I know nowt about Sheffield so can't comment on times etc.

Re: a catheter. Again, I don't know what's de rigeur at Sheffield but if they are one of those who are hot on wanting patients up and about ASAP then you won't need one. The first time I could see a clock clearly after my op was 5.40pm and by 8pm I was up and walking to the bathroom.

Hi Lincs Lass,
thanks for your comment im sure i can try and get the consultant not to fit me a caphiter in as i have chronic prostrate pain and i suffer with a narrowing of the ureather, the last time i was in a operation i had that camera down there, they all ways say its small in size and it won't hurt, the camera but it felt like a pain i had never experianced before.
like you say i want to be up and walking arround after the operation.
thanks for the info.
BIGBEEFYBUILDER

it sounded like the process would be quite quick from here on in so long as we havnt gained weight from when the referral went in

im also with mr ackroyd and put my name down to go ahead immediatly yesterday. i already knew there was pretty much nothing they could tell me that would change my mind as ive been researching this for 8 years while trying everything else i and my gp could think of

Hi Robina, Well i notticed 11 more people in that room not sure if every one wanted the operation or not i need it to get it as im out of breath all the time,carn't walk far with out help of a stick or my wifes support.
all these ailments i have have started since putting on weight on so it might help me in my health, i know its a tool and to get our weight off we need to change the way we eat food.
good luck and hope to see you in the next appointment.
all the best.
BIGBEEFYBUILDER

Well done bigbeefybuilder and robina on making one of the most important decisions of your life. What's even better is you've chosen an excellent surgeon in Mr Ackroyd. Extremely experienced and committed to his work. As for questions he might ask, most of my conversation was with the dietician. We talked about current eating habits, which surgery would work best and why and future eating habits. Mr Ackroyd is much more matter of fact. He asked me why I thought I was this weight. Just be honest, he won't tell you off, we talked about how the surgery works and the risks. I also asked him how many of his patients had died! I felt a bit cheeky but needed to know for my peace of mind. He wasn't offended by the question, answered it and I was extremely impressed with answer. It put my mind at rest and I knew I was in safe hands. Don't forget to jot your questions down. There's so much info to take in its easy to forget to ask the things you've thought about if you've not jotted this down. Good luck and keep us posted.
Hi Fayz.
so what happens on my next appointment then ? is there other people there as well as mr ackroyed? i heard that most people who who have this type of operation had there gall stones removed ?
im looking forward to my next appointment will keep you posted as each step unfolds.
thanks in advance.
BIGBEEFYBUILDER

I had a band 12 years ago on the MHz and bypass 8 weeks ago privately, both by mr Ackroyd. The process was similar at my appointments I saw the dietician first and then mr Ackroyd on the same day. After this the next appoint was with a nurse to do the pre-op checks

ON MY WAY

Nhs not MHz!

hi all,
intresting day yestoday i went to see mr ackroyed at the nothern general hospital appointment time 2:40 got there got weighed took my height and bmi then went in a room to see i thought would be dr ackroyed it was a very attractive blonde dr.
went throgh what i have done to lose weight ie tablets diets told her i have 5 meals a day and i snack in between meals, and i comfort eat late at night when my chronic pain kicks in, asked me what i wanted told her the gastric bypass, didn't have to see a diet nurse.
was told if i don't lose enough weight up to operation day if they could not do a bypass they would do the sleeve.

so next stop is the appoint to see if im fit to have operation then date so im well chuffed, the dr who was in place of dr ackroyed said she would be putting me down for the operation and there was a waiting list of 4 months.

i would like to thank all your help out there on this site for your understanding and kind replies.

can any body tell me if i have put this thread in the right place if not can you put it where it should be please!

my wife could not be with me yestoday as my 11' year old son was having 4 of his wisdom teeth out,but im sure she will suport me on my next appointment.

one last thing how do i go about showing a progress report below my name in this wonder full site.

BIGBEEFYBUILDER

Well done in taking this massive step. I'm 3 month post bypass now and 3 stone down. Feeling fantastic and can't believe the difference in such a sort time. 4 months will fly by , make the most of it. Do all you can to make it a success. Life will just keep getting better and better!

another letter another appointment

Well done in taking this massive step. I'm 3 month post bypass now and 3 stone down. Feeling fantastic and can't believe the difference in such a sort time. 4 months will fly by , make the most of it. Do all you can to make it a success. Life will just keep getting better and better!

hi, i have got my next appointment on friday 27th september 10;45 for the clinic;centralised pre-operative assessment clinic that was fast comming through the post, its happening really fast lol.

Hi thanks for all the good luck wishes, got a letter this afternoon saying my operation is booked at the Sheffield Thornbury Hospital on Wednesday 30th october 2013.
so milk and yog diet "bring it on" lol.
BBB

Fantastic, I wish you all the best. I'm 4 stone down now in almost 4 months and feeling great x

Back