• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

SMOKING ????

hi says on my paperwork if you smoke give up. but dont know what happens if you dont/cant. xx

Hi there

I too smoke and I had my bypass on monday

I smoke 20 a day like you too

At Salford royal where I had my operation they tell you to give up smoking 2 weeks prior to surgery and that if you are found to be smoking your operation will be cancelled.

I know of people who have been carbon monoxide tested in hospital on their day of surgery and have been sent home if this proves they have been smoking someone also told me that they know of somone who was sent home jjust because they admitted they was still smoking .

I was so scared about this.......I was trying to stop smoking and on the milk diet at the same time and I was finding it all too difficult, so with the help of patc hes i cut down to about 3 a day but the 2 days before surgery i had maybe 2 , it nearlly killed me ......I was trying to prioritise which one was more important smoking or eating and in the end they were both just as importnant so i soldiered through the best I could, it didnt help that my husband was at work and I was looking after our 4 young children on my own.

But on the day the anaethatist came to see me and never even mentioned the smoking !!!!!!!!!

So surgery went ahead no problems and I was home next day!!!

and i didnt smoke in hospital either .

But the best advice I can give you is stop now dont try and do both together its way to hard

Helen xxxxxxxxxxxx

it doesnt say you must. really sorry i said anything now:cry:

Hi there, the rules on this have tightened in most hospitals.

I think you should consider getting help and support to quit before surgery as it can seriously affect healing and lung/heart complications during anaesthetic.

Some hospitals test and will cancel surgery if they discover you have been smoking.

This is for your own safety, not to be a pain in the arse...;)

they like you to quit before the op as its safer for the anestetic the clearer the lungs the better for when your vented. i will have 2 pack in again for my next plastics op as they wont operate on me if im a smoker.

I dont smoke and never have smoked, but i sympathise with those that do and want to give up as i know from friends and family that have tried its not easy.

Medically we all know its not good for you, but i've read that the recovery times after surgery increase and your more at risk under an anasthetic if you smoke.

Post op it might be too much to give up in one go, though it may be in your interest to do what the others suggest and try giving up now rather than struggling closer to the op when you have more things on your mind !

i smoked right up to day of op they do ask you not to 2 weeks befor but nobody said anything on day of op to me about it and one of bypassers on my ward was going down for fags so it may depend on hospital on how hard they enforce the rules

I know that there are some tablets you can get from the doctor - you HAVE to smoke for one week whilst taking them and by the end of the week you feel as if you are poisoning yourself! It's worth asking the doctor about them Karen. Good luck, I'd hate to see your op cancelled. Big hug, Marion xx

I don't know about smoking and the operation but my dad recently quit smoking (6 months ago) after smoking for 53 years. He quit with Champix and said it wasn't too terrible.

I smoke about 20-30 a daye and had to give up for the op, again mine was at Slaford and they said no smoking 2 weeks before. I went to docs and got patches. I wasnt told to go on a pre-op diet so I only had to give smoking up and not food but it was that or be cancelled....As Helen said no one said a word about it before the op! Good luck. It will be worth it in the end.

Hi Everybody
I give up six weeks before my son Conor was born in 82 and never looked back until I had 2 cancer scares a few years a go and started up again . I don't smoke all the time but if I fancy one I`ll have one . I would have between 5/10 a day . But I`v made my mind up today I going to give them up again . Take care .
Margaret xx

Hi Karen, I was told to give up before op but they sais if I could'nt then to make sure I at least cut down.Every hospital is different though and as has been said some may refuse to do the op if they find you're still smoking. It is really hard to give up both vices that keep us sane (food and nicotine) but if its the difference between op and no op then I would definitely give it a go.Good luckxxx

Hi Karen
I too smoke 20 a day and have been told i MUST give it up 10 days before op. I'm going to Spire Manchester with Mr Ammori Like you i'm worried between pre op diet and no smoking i'll be a wreck but needs must it's the people round about who need the sympathy ha ha.I reckon we need to be safer rather than sorry would hate our ops to be cancelled xx

I smoked for 22 years and was told to give up for op, I came from assesment that I was told and havent smoked since, that was 13 months ago.

Me too, had my last ciggy the day I met Mr Khan for the first time, the op was too important to me, there was no way I was going to be turned away.

Having said that there were several women who were still smoking at Walsall. the nurses seemed to turn a blind eye to it and have to say that the ladies that did smoke were certainly up and about quicker than those that didn't.

Anyone know what the rules at the whittington are???

Hi angelpie,
I decided I would like to try and quit smoking before I went to see the Surgeons at St Richards for my first appointment, as I thought I didn't want any reasons for them to say no I couldn't have the op. I went to my GP and was given Champix, a tablet taken twice a day for about 12 weeks, I smoked until the 12th day of taking them (which is recommended) then I had no urge to after that really and have not smoked since 1st May. I was a heavy 20+ a day smoker, an my husband who has smoked since a teenager also gave up with me, and has also managed to completely stop smoking, and I never thought I would see the day when he could/would give up smoking. The tablet seems to work really well, although it does need some willpower and it made us both feel sick for about 5-10 mins after taking the tablet, we've stopped taking the tablet now, only used it for about 6 weeks.

When I went to see Mr Adamo at St Richards, he did say about smoking, and said that very often they refuse to operate if people did not give up smoking. I think as people have said it helps with the anesthetic.

We are now saving over £350 per month! and hope we can both keep up the not smoking.

I'm not sure if you HAVE to give up, but from what I gathered they do like you to try.

Back