• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

stuck!!

mintball

Hey peeps, not been around for a while. Had to come on just to whinge...I'm really proud I've hit the 3 stone mark but then for the last 2 weeks i've lost nothing.

OK so one of the weeks was my monthly visitor but i've no excuse for the other. I know I could step up the exercise but part of me thinks that the weight should still be coming off even without doing that.

These past 2 weeks are the first time i've ever stalled, but happening 2 weeks on the trot has worried me a bit x x x

not sure what to suggest Lisa. It coudl just be a plateau. I know that most people will get a plateau at some point during their weight loss but it does seem a tad early for that.

Maybe you could let us know what you are eating and the post oppers could have a look and make some suggestions??

Not really much help to you hun but didnt want to read and run.

that sounds like good advice to me - i'm sure someone will be able to help you back on the right track (they are very knowledgeable) Your daughter Maisie looks such a sweetheart!!! Mine's all grown up so enjoy your time together x

a general day in the life is:

B - Piece of wholemeal toast with butter or a muller light yoghurt

Snack: piece of fruit or a few quavers

Lunch: half of a sandwich with brown bread or veg sticks and hoummus

Tea: portion of cottage pie or chicken casserole with mash or sunday roast

Now and again i'll have a glass of wine.

I'm trying to be really honest, but i think i need to try to get on the forum more often and add to the daily menus to assess what i'm doing

Hi Lisa well done on the three stone loss, your doing great chick and the odd stall (even two weeks on the trot) are fine, you watch you will get a good few pounds off when you least expect it...xx

Hi Lisa,

Try cutting out carbs in the evening meal and for your snacks. Have a protein shake for your snack once a day. Your menu seems carb heavy and protein light, so swapping them over should kick start you.

Ah Shel, I knew that you would know the right thing to say.

Also you need to exercise, weightloss is slow to nothing without it. That's true of any diet....

30 mins a day....;)

Not necessarily. I've barely exercised at all along the way due to my disabilities.

I am amazed at all your weight losses. My band is booked for the 6th of May ....... Just want to get on with it now

Sorry guys cant sit in the shadows and ignore this thread - other than Shels advice most of what you've all said is crap and wont help !

If you exercise you have to consume calories, if you dont your metabolic rate will slow and you wont burn fat ! its facts research it, proffesional athlete or WLS paitent its exactly the same, the harder you work the more calories you have to put in - bit like a car running out of petrol !

We plateau becuase our body gets used to the reduction of calories going in, rather than cutting food you need to eat more during the day, Shels right increase your protein and reduce your carbs, also alter your daily exercise pattern which will shock your body and restart your metabolism again.

So eat breakfast to restriction ! lunch and dinner too - make sure your dinner is protein rich, cut the processed carbs from your diet, and drink lots of water between meals as its know to help.

Never been much of a fan of protein drinks - they slide through the restriction and dont fill you up, so whats the point, i'd rather have a piece of chicken that fills me that a shake type drink.

Sorry guys cant sit in the shadows and ignore this thread - other than Shels advice most of what you've all said is crap and wont help !

If you exercise you have to consume calories, if you dont your metabolic rate will slow and you wont burn fat ! its facts research it, proffesional athlete or WLS paitent its exactly the same, the harder you work the more calories you have to put in - bit like a car running out of petrol !

We plateau becuase our body gets used to the reduction of calories going in, rather than cutting food you need to eat more during the day, Shels right increase your protein and reduce your carbs, also alter your daily exercise pattern which will shock your body and restart your metabolism again.

So eat breakfast to restriction ! lunch and dinner too - make sure your dinner is protein rich, cut the processed carbs from your diet, and drink lots of water between meals as its know to help.

Never been much of a fan of protein drinks - they slide through the restriction and dont fill you up, so whats the point, i'd rather have a piece of chicken that fills me that a shake type drink.

:clap:

So why do all health professionals say the only way to really succesfully loose weight is to eat less and do more?

I guess with most bypassers, the weight loss is continous as there is not much fuel in the car, so to speak, but I guess us banders have to work harder.

Anyway what do I know eh? LOL:D

So why do all health professionals say the only way to really succesfully loose weight is to eat less and do more?

I guess with most bypassers, the weight loss is continous as there is not much fuel in the car, so to speak, but I guess us banders have to work harder.

Anyway what do I know eh? LOL:D

caz i can only speak as a bypasser but believe me its not an easy ride by any stretch of the imagination. bypassers like you as a bander can only eat a limited amount but we also havee to carfully watch for the amount of sugar and fat in everything we eat. we also suffer from malabsorbtion so have to take an array of suppliments and can inevitably become aneamic over a period of time. so when you say
"I guess with most bypassers, the weight loss is continous as there is not much fuel in the car, so to speak, but I guess us banders have to work harder."
i disagree at least as a bander you absorb all your nutriants from your mear morsals and get full benifit from them.
Yes exersise does play an important role in any weightloss programme but it can come in all shapes and if someone who has never done exersize before for whatever reason suddenly started at 30 mins a day it could have seriouse health effects untill they are at a safe weight to do it comfortably.
Yes health proffessionals do recomend 30 mins a day but also say check with yr Dr to ensure this is right for you.
carole

Ok here you go a bit of science for you......!

Metabolism is ultimately a collection of chemical reactions that takes place in the body's cells converting the fuel in the food we eat into the energy needed to power everything we do, from moving to thinking to growing. In fact, thousands of metabolic reactions happen at the same time - all regulated by the body - to keep our cells healthy and working.
There are two processes, or rather, two interactive channels by which metabolism runs.
  • Catabolism refers to the breakdown of food components (such as carbohydrates, proteins and fats) into their simpler forms, which can then be used to create energy. Think of it as your "destructive metabolism" which produces the energy required for all activity in the cells. In this process, cells break down carbohydrates and fats to release energy and fuel all anabolic reactions, such as heating the body, giving the muscles power to contract and the body to move. As complex chemical units are broken down into more simple substances, the waste products released in the process of catabolism are removed from the body through the skin, kidneys, lungs, and intestines.
  • Anabolism is your "constructive metabolism" that gives which is all about building and storing. All anabolic processes support the growth of new cells, the maintenance of body tissues, and the storage of energy for use in the future.
These are governed by your Hormonal and Nervous systems. Interestingly, they work together like a team complimenting every single cellular action in your body.
Trying to determine your caloric need for the day? Your body's metabolic rate (or total energy expenditure) is the one that says it all - you are what you eat, how you move, how much you rest and how well all cells and tissues are able to recuperate. Energy expenditure is continuous, but the rate varies throughout the day. The lowest rate of energy expenditure is usually in the early morning.
The complexity of metabolism can be divided into three components:
1. Basal metabolic rate (BMR) - is the amount of kilojoules burned at rest and contributes 50-80% of your energy used. The BMR refers to the amount of energy your body needs to maintain itself. This accounts for 50-80% of your total energy use. Total lean mass, especially muscle mass, is largely responsible for the BMR. So, anything that reduces lean mass will reduce BMR. That's why it's important to preserve muscle mass when you try to lose weight, since the BMR accounts for so much of the energy we use. An average male may have a BMR of around 7,100kJ per day, while an average female may have a BMR of around 5,900kJ per day.
2. Energy used during physical activity - this is the amount of kilojoules burned during movement and physical activity. The energy expenditure of the muscles makes up only 20% or so of the total energy expenditure at rest but, during strenuous exercise, the rate of energy expenditure of the muscles may go up 50-fold or more. Since energy used during exercise is the only form of energy expenditure that you have any control over, take advantage of this phenomenon and start moving more!
Thermic effect of food - this is the energy you use to eat, digest and metabolize food. Regardless of what you thought before, eating actually raises your metabolism. No wonder diet-obsessed meal-skippers burn less calories AND have no energy to move. After each meal, the metabolic rise occurs soon after you start eating and peaks two to three hours later. It can range between 2-3% and up to 25-30%, depending on the size of the meal and the types of foods eaten. Fats raise the BMR by 4%, carbohydrates by 6% and proteins by up to 30%! Hot spicy foods can also have a significant thermic effect.

And Metabolic slowdown when dieting

Metabolic slowdown will happen to everyone on a calorie reduced diet. This also includes people on a low-carb diet as the net effect of the low-carb is also a calorie reduced intake. A slow metabolism is often the reason why dieters experience a sticking point in their weight loss results, but why and how does a slow metabolism occur and how can we reduce the effects?

The biggest mistake many dieters make is cutting calories too much too soon. With an overwhelming desire to lose weight quickly they start dieting with the attitude that cutting calories more would result in shedding more fat from the body stores. This is a major mistake and the reason why weight is gained back soon after dieting. This practice always leads to a metabolic slowdown as the body tries to conserve energy. Glycogen stores become depleted and the body must oxidize protein more regularly to account for a severe calorie reduction. Both processes cause the body to lose water, thus weight is lost quickly but unfortunately, more than 90 percent will come from lean tissue.

Reducing metabolic slowdown
No matter how you lose weight there will always be some amount of metabolic slowdown. The trick is to limit the slowing of your metabolism as much as possible. The best policy to ensure a lower metabolic slowdown is to work out your present calorie intake and reduce it by 15 percent. The body will recognise and react to a smaller deficit by oxidising (burning) more fat. In general a calorie reduction greater than 15 percent will lead to bigger metabolic slowdown, making fat loss more difficult. To be safe never consume fewer calories than your resting metabolism.

Hi Lisa sorry you're struggling mate! I think everyone is different and no matter how much science stuff you read, you have to find out what works for you.
I personally have found that exercise works for me. Not only does it give me a mental lift it's really toning me up so that to date (touching wood) the saggy skin thing hasn't kicked in which will save me a fortune on cosmetic surgery!
The protein thing works for a lot of people too, but I have found that so far for me personally a balance diet (with very limited simple carbs) works best for me. I keep a weekly diary which I email to my dietician for comments etc and I'm happy to share with you if you want to pm me your email.
And before everyone jumps on me - please note that I am not proffering advice - these are merely my opinions about what is working for me - I am not a dietician, nutritionist, doctor or scientist - but after 50 years of living with it I think I am the person who knows my body the best! (And how bolshy has losing this weight made ME!!!)

Back