• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Stupid question? Operating table.

Boblatina

As usual, a stupid question is buzzing round in my head and I can't stop it niggling me :eek:

OK, question for post op-ers. I understand that most hospitals like you to walk to theatre (well the prep-room) and I know that most teams expect you to get up on the table yourself (because lifting patients of my weight is a risk to their backs etc )

I am v.v.heavy and v.v.v.limited in my mobility which would mean that I could not lift myself up onto anything that is higher than a high-ish chair. This is obviously not as high as an operating table so I am now terrified about not being able to get up there :cry:

Is the table adjustable in height once I am up there or is there a step etc for me to climb up on?

I know that it is a stupid thing to worry about but I am getting terrified now :cry:

love

TillyBob

Hun i know how u feel as i am in a very similar situation to you, i have seen on my on the fat hospital programmes that they have a kind of stool to help you up on to the table, and if u could not manage to walk to the operating theatre then you could def go in a wheelchair.When i was taken to casualty bout 6 weeks ago i was not allowed to walk and was pushed everywhere in a wheelchair i first refused but was told i had to and the porter did not even struggle one bit.
Hope this puts your mind at ease a bit xxxx

Is the table adjustable in height once I am up there or is there a step etc for me to climb up on?

Hi Tillybob

Yes they usually have some steps to help you up to the table. As long as you can turn round and sit down then swivel round on the table you shold be OK.

The table will be adjustable you need not worry. You will be fine. I was nearly thirty stone and got my arse on there no problem.

hiya i am a little taller than you and i had to heave 33 stone onto the table and i was limited in movement but i did not have to struggle you will be fine;););). janey

Hi Hun, The beds at the hospital I had my surgery were height adjustable

hope that helps

Sal x

As the others have said, it really wasnt difficult to get on the table and there are steps available if you are very short. There will be plenty of staff there to help if you are unable and they will do everything they can to make the experience as dignified as possible for you. Try not to worry xx

Thanks everybody :553:

I had visions of being the first person to knock themselves out before an operation without anaesthetic!!!!!! :eek: My problem is stability as well as mobility - I have form for falling over when standing upright and still and you certainly wouldn't trust me up a ladder :eek:

As long as I have someone to lend me a stabilising hand or something to lean on I should be OK (I have to follow the old stunt-man's adage which is "always keep 3 points of contact" other wise my balance is pants)

love

TillyBob

Last edited:
My experience was slightly different, so I guess it depends on the hospital.

I went down to theatre on my hospital bed, then was asked to move onto a low bed(i think was theatre bed) in an open room, I lay on top of an hover bed thing then went into the anaesthetics room just outside theatre to be knocked out. To be honest I've had 3 wls ops in total and havent seen the inside of a theatre yet!! and im sooo relieved i havent. apparantly they use the hover to move you back onto your hospital bed in recovery. But I guess each hospitals different x

tillybob you'll get up there, i got a feeling you'll drag yourself up by the fingertips if it means you got your operation :)

Good luck with it, just think 12 months after your operation you'll probably be running around :) what a great thought xx

Christ if I needed crampons and a climbing axe I would get there!lol.Know what you mean though,its daunting enough for anyone else but when your arse is hanging out the back of a gown and you are ready to pass out with fear you dont want the worry of them doing you on the floor!!I had the same thing when I went to have my lady garden rearranged shall we say!I was talking twenty to the dozen,laughing and joking that the fella who was knocking me out(cant spell anesthetist!)looked the spit of Bill Oddie!!I expected him to get his binoculars out.He wasnt amused,miserable git!

I was also taken to theatre on my hospital bed then asked to transfer onto another bed in the aneasthetist room. I never saw the theatre either. I was taken down twice to the aneasthetic room but was never awake to see the theatre. Don't worry you'll be finexx

Christ if I needed crampons and a climbing axe I would get there!lol.Know what you mean though,its daunting enough for anyone else but when your arse is hanging out the back of a gown and you are ready to pass out with fear you dont want the worry of them doing you on the floor!!I had the same thing when I went to have my lady garden rearranged shall we say!I was talking twenty to the dozen,laughing and joking that the fella who was knocking me out(cant spell anesthetist!)looked the spit of Bill Oddie!!I expected him to get his binoculars out.He wasnt amused,miserable git!
I know what you mean about getting up there no matter what :p

Liked your story about your "lady garden" and seeing the Bill Oddie clone. I suppose it's a good thing he didn't spot any badgers! :D:D:D

Are gynae appointments in Merseyside always so surreal? I am a Scouser and when I still lived in Liverpool I remember having an investigation at the old Women's Hospital and when I was at my most vulnerable I heard a load of students come in and one of them greeted me with "Morning Tilly, see you down the pub tonight?" :eek::eek::eek::eek:

love

TillyBob

I got there under my own steam too. I did feel a prat with my ill fitting gown on though. Mum came so far down with me. I got out of 1 side of the lift, she went the other. That's when I got a bit nervous and emotional.

Got on the operating trolley myself and the people just buzzed around chatting making me relaxed. Next thing I'm waking up in high dependency with my mum and dad there. Obviously glad to hear me mumbling crap. I managed to gather myself and shout that I love them before they went out the door.

It was a very fast and efficient routine and I had no problems at all.

Please don't worry, they are doing these things all the time. You won't be the heaviest, I was just over 31 stone :D

Thanks everybody :553:

I had visions of being the first person to knock themselves out before an operation without anaesthetic!!!!!! :eek: My problem is stability as well as mobility - I have form for falling over when standing upright and still and you certainly wouldn't trust me up a ladder :eek:

As long as I have someone to lend me a stabilising hand or something to lean on I should be OK (I have to follow the old stunt-man's adage which is "always keep 3 points of contact" other wise my balance is pants)

love

TillyBob

Good Luck! You sound just like me xx

ive not had weight loss surgery , but i have had a couple of operations and each time they have had a very strong and sturdy step to use so i wouldnt worry.
good luck on your journey

Back