• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sunderland - Mr Schroeder - Questions

Undecided

Hi

I've just been added to the waiting list for a bypass today. I've been advised that it's a six month wait, and during the course of the discussion he mentioned I would need a gastroscopy. I happened to come across this on the forum earlier today. Until then I had no idea it was part of the pre-op process. It's also made me a bit worried that there is other information that doesn't get passed on ? Is it true that after this op you also need vitamin injections for the rest of your life ? If so where do you go to get them ?

My appointment was with Mr Schroeder (at least that's what the appointment letter said). Has anyone else had any appointments with him ? And is there anyone else just been added to the waiting list ? He seemed a bit fed up during the meeting and made me a feel a bit like other doctors have done. I could almost imagine him thinking "why don't you just lose the weight yourself!" I didnt feel at all at ease. If my first meeting was with him, will he be doing my surgery ? :-(

dottychic

Hi and :welcome: to WLS, Im from Manchester so dont know your hospital but Ive deffinately heard your surgeons name mentioned on here before. It depends on the doctor if you have a gastroscopy too, I had a bypass in Oct and didnt have to have one but I know a lot of surgeons do like you to have one. Good Luck on your journey and 6 months will fly past. I dont know anyone who has to have vitamin injections but I think most of us have to take vitamin tablets and some other supplements such as calcium. Hope this helps a bit and if you have any more questions please ask :D XX

cherry

Hi sweets firstly welcome! and stick with us, were all at diferent stages of our wls journey so there s a wealth of info and experiance on here with our members....

im a sunderland paitent and im under mr small, im having a sleeve so i dont need the camera so my journey is abit diff, im so sorry you felt the surgeon was dis interested! not what you need hey when facing surgery, have you been given the dietacians number?... valerie im under but there s someone called kim to, id give them a call, and ask them all the questions you want to know to put your mind at rest, i do beleive the vitamin jabs are just done at your gp but i could be mistaken... sorry im not much help, but i wish you all the best...

and chin up sweetpea, your new life is just begining xxxx

Grace

Hi Undecided. Mr Schroeder is normally very nice, maybe he was just having a bad day. His football team lost yesterday so it could've been that! He's certainly very pro bariatric surgery, so whatever he was thinking, i'm sure it wasn't about you losing the weight yourself.....and yes, he is one of the Sunderland bariatric surgeons.

As regards vitamin injections: Sundeland like you to have a Vitamin B12 (iron) injection every 3 months; they arrange for your GP to give you it. You will also need to have a daily multi-vitamin pill, Calcium twice a day, and iron once a day. Again the dietician will write to you and your GP post-op to get this oganised.

Re: the gastroscopy, all patients at SRH having by-passes have to have one done; it's their procedure to ensure your stomach is in a good healthy condition before it's 'sealed off'.
I have to say SRH's commmunication isn't great, but that's where forums like this and also the Sunderland patients' support group come in.
Do feel free to ask any questions you want. There's plenty of us here who've had surgery at SRh who can answer your questions.
Grace xxx

nikster1975

Hiya, I too had my op done by Mr Shroeder, He was such a lovely man when i saw him like Grace said he was prob having an of day...or maybe wasn't him???? I had appointment to see Mr Small but saw Mr Balpuri and had op with Mr Shroeder!!!!!! like Grace said any questions ask away xxxxxxxxxxxx

carol-t

Hi

I've just been added to the waiting list for a bypass today. I've been advised that it's a six month wait, and during the course of the discussion he mentioned I would need a gastroscopy. I happened to come across this on the forum earlier today. Until then I had no idea it was part of the pre-op process. It's also made me a bit worried that there is other information that doesn't get passed on ? Is it true that after this op you also need vitamin injections for the rest of your life ? If so where do you go to get them ?

My appointment was with Mr Schroeder (at least that's what the appointment letter said). Has anyone else had any appointments with him ? And is there anyone else just been added to the waiting list ? He seemed a bit fed up during the meeting and made me a feel a bit like other doctors have done. I could almost imagine him thinking "why don't you just lose the weight yourself!" I didnt feel at all at ease. If my first meeting was with him, will he be doing my surgery ? :-(
hi undecided ....i am due to have my bypass op on 4th jan ..i had the camera thing in july it wasnt nice but it was quick and soon forgotten,,mr small is my consultant at sunderland too but only seen him once and my journey started in may 2009 ..

Undecided

Thanks for all the replies :). Maybe it wasn't him as it sounds like a German name but for what I remember he looked more like he was from an Arabic speaking country.

I think I read about the injections on an American site. I'm a bit worried about the injections as I think I read that you had to have injections rather than tablet. It worries me a little bit that the surgery makes us rely on something we can't do / get hold of ourselves.

Nikster what op did you have ? How are you finding it ?

I have to have the camera down anyway as I was already scheduled to have one due to problems with pain when eating. I was told it was a gallstone (which I just found out I have), but apparently the pain isn't in the "usual" place for that. LOL. I was just a bit surprised that they do it anyway - although it is kind of re-assuring.

He did mention that after the op the stomach isn't visible. I know it's not a nice thing to wonder about, but if you developed say stomach cancer, does that mean they wouldnt be able to detect it, and you would have no symptoms ?

Carol how long after your consultant meeting did you have the camera down ?

Thanks Cherry - no no mention of seeing Kim etc, but I think I did meet her in the previous meeting.

J-Mo

It sounds like you've seen one the of registrar's & possibly the arrogant little ***** who told me I was having a gastric balloon then walked out of the room!!

Anyway, I ended up having my bypass performed by Mr Balapuri (he is lovely) although I was supposed to be under Mr Small.

At the end of the day I can assure you that the 3 of them are great so don't worry who performs your op. By your description you definitely haven't seen Mr Schroeder as he definitely doesn't look Arabic.

I had my endoscopy in May & if I can do it then anyone can.

Take care & good luck ;)

DaisyMaesy

Hi Undecided
I am not from your area but my consultant was a bit off too, but I don't think he was the surgeon just part of the team and he doesn't feature in the team photo!!!!

My dietician recommended Vit B12 injections and my doctor prescribed them as my levels are already low pre op and so to is my Vit D and I have a lack of calcium too.
I had to go for 6 injections in two weeks as a boost and now will be on 3 monthly ones till whenever.
Not all patients as I understand it have to have these and certainly not the boosters

novamay

Born Free
Hi Undecided, welcome to the Forum.

The bariatric nurse should tell you about what injections and supplements you will need to take after the op when you first meet to go through your medical and diet history. Kim's lovely to talk to and said that she's happy to answer any questions that you may think of after the assessment. Did you meet with Kim or her colleague and the dietician before you met the surgeon?

j.u.s.t.l.i.z.

Runs Srh Support Group
Hi

I've just been added to the waiting list for a bypass today. I've been advised that it's a six month wait, and during the course of the discussion he mentioned I would need a gastroscopy. I happened to come across this on the forum earlier today.

Hiya hun im a Sunderland patient and a ex bander, im now 7 weeks post op bypass, welcome to the forum and i hope u find it useful here. I run the support group for Sunderland and your very welcome to come along to meet us for a friendly natter and a cuppa.
Until then I had no idea it was part of the pre-op process. It's also made me a bit worried that there is other information that doesn't get passed on ? Is it true that after this op you also need vitamin injections for the rest of your life ? If so where do you go to get them ?

after your op they send you home with what you need initially then the dietician writes to your gp telling them what you will need prescribed on a monthly basis, a nurse at your gp's surgery will give you a b12 injection every 3 months.

My appointment was with Mr Schroeder (at least that's what the appointment letter said). Has anyone else had any appointments with him ? And is there anyone else just been added to the waiting list ? He seemed a bit fed up during the meeting and made me a feel a bit like other doctors have done. I could almost imagine him thinking "why don't you just lose the weight yourself!" I didnt feel at all at ease.
Im sorry to hear you didnt feel at ease, all our surgeons are very friendly so maybe you seen a registrar, they know we cant lose the weight our selves on a long term basis thats why they are there to help us.
If my first meeting was with him, will he be doing my surgery ? :-(

any appointments sent wil say who you will be seen by that usually indicates the surgeon that will do your op.

:) Any questions you may have please just ask me and if i can help i will do so, also it would be lovely to meet you if you want to attend our patient support group as well.........Liz x

nikster1975

Nikster what op did you have ? How are you finding it ?

Hiya, I had the bypass and I am finding it great best thing I have ever done x I def don't think you saw Mr Shroeder, He is German and has quite a strong accent too...he is lovely, quite tall and has a very nice bum ;o)

J-Mo

Hiya, I had the bypass and I am finding it great best thing I have ever done x I def don't think you saw Mr Shroeder, He is German and has quite a strong accent too...he is lovely, quite tall and has a very nice bum ;o)

Ha, ha!! Couldn't have described him better myself!! :D

nikster1975

Hi J-Mo how are you doing??? better I hope xxxxxx

J-Mo

Still struggling with food. Everything makes me feel sick. Even taking my vitamins makes me wanna lie down still the nausea passes. Ha, ha

I don't let it get me down though 'cos my bypass is the best thing I ever did. First year ever that I have lost 5lb over Xmas. I've not lost any weight for weeks so I was ecstatic when I got on the scales today!! Thanks for asking.

How are you getting on?

dottychic

Yaaay well done on the 5lbs :D I get nausea sometimes but not all the time like you hun....have you asked your team about it? XX

nikster1975

I'm doing well thanks x, I bet you were exstatic with that loss, always good to see the results ;o) I hope the sickness subsides are you taking the fast tabs???? or on capsules?? as I changed to the capsules as fast tabs made me feel Ill all day now tons better xxxxxx

J-Mo

Thanks for that tip Nikki. I'll see my GP as I am taking the fast tabs. Do you know if we can get the calcium tablets in different forms as they make me feel the worst. I've got the chewy chalky ones!! YUK!!!

Glad you're doing well :)

nikster1975

I take the multibionta with probiotics and doc says they have more than enough calcium as body just disposes of it if too much !!!!! so could be making you feel uneasy ???

def see about the fast tabs as they are evil lol

J-Mo

I take multi-vitamins & drink plenty of milk but the pro-biotic drinks even made me ill :(

Honestly I hate sounding like a whinge-bag 'cos I'm so grateful for this bypass & this little 'blip' won't get me down ;)