• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

THG band to MGB in Belgium

I think you’ve done the right think asking or clarificatio, I would have said avoid fat/sugar o easy on carbs so eat lean meat and fish but don’t weigh but that’s only my opinion let us know what he says xx

My response is attached and Frederik basically said don’t lose too much weight make sure you bmi is 30 or above.
So I’m thinking one week liver reducing diet but without weighing meat or veg, but go steady on carb ie 2 egg size new potatoes of 2/3 spoonfuls of rice/noodle? Does that sound fair? Any other advice?
Bear in mind I have my op 16th April so essentially the whole of March to say goodbye to my favourite foods x

Attachments

• B2166438-1673-4572-97F0-93B49C51C4ED.jpeg
    B2166438-1673-4572-97F0-93B49C51C4ED.jpeg
    119.1 KB · Views: 9
My response is attached and Frederik basically said don’t lose too much weight make sure you bmi is 30 or above.
So I’m thinking one week liver reducing diet but without weighing meat or veg, but go steady on carb ie 2 egg size new potatoes of 2/3 spoonfuls of rice/noodle? Does that sound fair? Any other advice?
Bear in mind I have my op 16th April so essentially the whole of March to say goodbye to my favourite foods x
If it were me I'd be doing low fat and sugar and carbs and high protein, but really keep an eye on those scales and adjust if you need to x

Right we have a response from Frederik however I need some advice from you guys, he has responded and said
Make sure your bmi is 30, so do it easy on the diet-just avoid alcohol.
So do you think I eat low fat foods as normal? Obviously no takeaways or fatty foods etc I was expecting to have to weigh my carb, protein and veg etc as I know the portions are small on liver shrinking diet?
I don’t really want to go back to Frederik and ask for clarification as I’d feel silly.
Please let me know what you all think?
Thank you
Rebecca

I think my diet with them was just low fat/carb. I didn't weigh anything. Stayed away from carbs. I only lost 2lbs in the 2 weeks but my liver was still okay.x

I think my diet with them was just low fat/carb. I didn't weigh anything. Stayed away from carbs. I only lost 2lbs in the 2 weeks but my liver was still okay.x
Hi thanks so much for the advice.
Due to Brexit looming I need to get my final payment complete. I need to pay an additional €120 euros for taxi as I fly into the south airport which is an hour away from hospital/hotel. Quite acceptable I thought.
High exchange rate currently at 1.157 with xe being the most competitive. I owe €7070 which will be £6106. What’s your thoughts? Get it paid or wait a day or two and see what changes? X

Hi thanks so much for the advice.
Due to Brexit looming I need to get my final payment complete. I need to pay an additional €120 euros for taxi as I fly into the south airport which is an hour away from hospital/hotel. Quite acceptable I thought.
High exchange rate currently at 1.157 with xe being the most competitive. I owe €7070 which will be £6106. What’s your thoughts? Get it paid or wait a day or two and see what changes? X

The exchange rate thing is so unpredictable. I'm risk adverse so I paid my surgery before I went and had cash in advance. No one can predict what the pound will be in comparison to euro in April. If you're comfortable with the exchange rate now, which is quite good to be Frank, then change up your cash and forget about it. If you don't mind the chance of paying a bit more for the chance of paying a bit less then wait.x

All paid
Also got my email from Bart last night about arrangements. I travel to Manchester Sunday 14th April fly 15th get picked up 10.15am, hospital Tuesday 16th 7am. Discharge 18th. 4am taxi Saturday 20th land in Manchester 7.30am hoping to be home by 10.30am
Very much hoping I'll be ok. My partner is very stressed and anxious about the surgery, I'm just feeling excitement. I hate travelling so that's the part I'm not looking forward to.
Between now and then I'm hoping to get everything ready to take away with me. Few pairs of pjs and clean underwear is paramount as I doubt I'll be doing much other than relaxing, hoping I'll be able to walk around outside for fresh air so will take actual clothes too.
Kim I'll be going over your diary again for your list of what you took and used.
I'm so excited!!! Just wish I could fast forward to recovery really. Even better June so I'll be in Turkey relaxing!

All paid
Also got my email from Bart last night about arrangements. I travel to Manchester Sunday 14th April fly 15th get picked up 10.15am, hospital Tuesday 16th 7am. Discharge 18th. 4am taxi Saturday 20th land in Manchester 7.30am hoping to be home by 10.30am
Very much hoping I'll be ok. My partner is very stressed and anxious about the surgery, I'm just feeling excitement. I hate travelling so that's the part I'm not looking forward to.
Between now and then I'm hoping to get everything ready to take away with me. Few pairs of pjs and clean underwear is paramount as I doubt I'll be doing much other than relaxing, hoping I'll be able to walk around outside for fresh air so will take actual clothes too.
Kim I'll be going over your diary again for your list of what you took and used.
I'm so excited!!! Just wish I could fast forward to recovery really. Even better June so I'll be in Turkey relaxing!

Sounds like it's all in hand. I didn't use much at all. I hope the flying goes well. I'm excited for you.x

All paid
I'm excited for you, you have it all planned out, now just a waiting game. I hope all goes well for you x

How exciting! You sound very organised and regarding packing - I didn't use a quarter of what I took. I liked having the dry mouth spray from Boots, as recommended on this forum, my own pillow, slippers, wax ear plugs and eye mask but then I was on a 4 bed bay not private room.

Try to stay calm but enjoy the anticipation.

Morning ladies, hope you’re all well.
Question probs more so for @slimkim, I have to be at the hospital for 7am, does all patients that are being done that day have to arrive then? Or does that suggest I could be one of the first?
Also, when can my partner be with me in the hospital? Can I he come 7am until I got to theatre, will be be able to come whilst I’m in recovery?
I just know he’s a worrier and won’t be able to settle. I gonin 7am 16th and discharges sometime 18th.
Thanks in advance x

Another thought, what is it I need to get prior to surgery with reference to vitamins etc. The list I have is as below but some of the ingredients cross over and don’t want to overdose myself on things.
Calcium & Vit D
Multi vit
Forceval
B12
Iron
V&M

Also is there a split of which ones I should buy soluable for the first few weeks post surgery?

Thank you all x

Morning ladies, hope you’re all well.
Question probs more so for @slimkim, I have to be at the hospital for 7am, does all patients that are being done that day have to arrive then? Or does that suggest I could be one of the first?
Also, when can my partner be with me in the hospital? Can I he come 7am until I got to theatre, will be be able to come whilst I’m in recovery?
I just know he’s a worrier and won’t be able to settle. I gonin 7am 16th and discharges sometime 18th.
Thanks in advance x

Everyone checks in at 7am. Your partner can go with you. Its paperwork for the hospital then time with the nurses for bloods then change into gown and sexy socks. Partner with you all this while. Then you wait for your slot. Bypasses first as they are longer surgeries then sleeves. Private patients and hospital patients are on the list. They will give you an estimated time for going under and try and convince your partner to leave to catch the wonderful hotel breakfast (this is what my partner said about it as obviously I didn't get to partake in it). Your partner can stay with you until they roll you in the surgery room. Then they give them an estimated time you'll be done and where to go for recovery room as it's a different room than where thry prep you. Then they wheel you into your private room or shared with other English speakers who are also private and your partner can stay there and watch you sleep (which is all you'll do) until visiting hours are up for the day. They are free to come and go as they please to visit you as much as you want. No flowers on the ward as it may interact with other patients, someone got their flowers taken off them as they were trying to bring them on the ward.

I hope that helps.x

Another thought, what is it I need to get prior to surgery with reference to vitamins etc. The list I have is as below but some of the ingredients cross over and don’t want to overdose myself on things.
Calcium & Vit D
Multi vit
Forceval
B12
Iron
V&M

Also is there a split of which ones I should buy soluable for the first few weeks post surgery?

Thank you all x

I'll start this with my memory isn't great.

Forceval is a complete multivitamin so no need for iron or another multivitamin. You wont be able to take this until at least one month post op. Right after surgery a tummy multi like Bassett is what I took. Calcium & d3 is a chewable so ok post op. They will give you an omeprazole prescription, don't fill it there as it's very expensive. You can get your gp to give you a NHS prescription for it same time as they do the forceval and calcium ones and get it here for much cheaper. Especially if you pay for a one year prescription card. I took dry mouth spray and didn't use it as I was so sleepy. I bought dissolvable paracetamol and didn't use it as they give a but ti start you off and after that I had no pain.

I hope that helps.x

Hello ladies. I just wanted to say hi & thanks for both your questions / answers. I'm having a MGB on the 2nd April at BSS so this info is very helpful. I've been lurking for a few weeks on here and finally felt brave enough to post xx

Welcome Emma. I'm glad you decided to post. I lurked for a while before I made my first post too. I'm pleased you found the information helpful. How are you travelling to Brussels for your surgery? Are you taking someone with you for support?x

Welcome Emma. I'm glad you decided to post. I lurked for a while before I made my first post too. I'm pleased you found the information helpful. How are you travelling to Brussels for your surgery? Are you taking someone with you for support?x
Hi Kim. I'm travelling by Eurostar as it was the most convenient for us. My husband will be with me. He's supporting me but I know he's worried and I hate making him feel like that xx

Hello ladies. I just wanted to say hi & thanks for both your questions / answers. I'm having a MGB on the 2nd April at BSS so this info is very helpful. I've been lurking for a few weeks on here and finally felt brave enough to post xx

Hi Emma, please you found the info useful. I’m really looking forward to it now how are you feeling?
I also lurked for a while before posting this time and when I was going through my band journey 5 years ago, I found it massively helped me as there really isn’t anyone else that understands or can help you when you need guidance or just picking up after a little worry! Looking forward to seeing how you get on, have you set up a diary on here as of yet, if not please feel free to share this one as we are pretty close together you’re a fortnight ahead of me and I’m having conversion to mgb but we’re in almost in it together
Rebecca

Hi Emma, please you found the info useful. I’m really looking forward to it now how are you feeling?
I also lurked for a while before posting this time and when I was going through my band journey 5 years ago, I found it massively helped me as there really isn’t anyone else that understands or can help you when you need guidance or just picking up after a little worry! Looking forward to seeing how you get on, have you set up a diary on here as of yet, if not please feel free to share this one as we are pretty close together you’re a fortnight ahead of me and I’m having conversion to mgb but we’re in almost in it together
Rebecca
Hi Rebecca
I've not set a diary up yet. I can't wait to get my op. I'm starting the LRD on Monday which I think is the part I'm most nervous about. I worry I won't be able to stick to it and I won't be able to have my surgery. This forum has been so useful so far & everyone seems so supportive xx

Back