• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Things I wish someone had told me.

Becky85

Hi all, I've been eagerly reading all of your posts, I'm very early on in my journey towards surgery, so far I've just met with the surgeon. I'm due to meet the dietician at the end of the month. Anyway I thought it might be fun if any post op'ers could post 1 or 2 things they wish someone had told them before they had surgery.

Sorry if this is too forward or has been done.

Best of luck to all of you striving to a place of happiness.

Bex.

Having just spent the last 3+ hours with a piece of meat stuck I wish I had known how blummin painful it was...
(Still don't regret having it done though)

Wish I fully understood that you still have to work very hard its not a quick fix or an easy route

Not being able to burp or hiccup for a month after surgery, you don't realise how much air you take in until you can't get it out. It can make for some very strange stomach spasms and sometimes painful trapped wind. Xx

That constipation is very common after surgery and it's easier to be proactive to stop it before it starts than to deal with it once you're already suffering: puréed kiwifruit is your friend! Have some, maybe mixed with a little water, two or three times a day.

Oh, and your pouch with have a lot to say for itself! It will gurgle and groan loudly and often. :)

Perhaps shouldn't contribute to this thread as I'm not in a very positive place...... however, the difficulties eating after the bypass. I believe I'm following the rules but all I seem to do is throw up, or well the other end :(

Perhaps shouldn't contribute to this thread as I'm not in a very positive place...... however, the difficulties eating after the bypass. I believe I'm following the rules but all I seem to do is throw up, or well the other end :(

Oh that's so sad...do you throw up all the time :(

I'm so sorry to hear this Lippy. Is it happening with everything? Pm me if I can offer any support.

I was the same as Lippy, today is the first meal in five weeks I've kept down fully. I would have liked to know how difficult it can be and how painful in the early days.

Can I just say for those suffering with sickness and struggling with keeping foods down...
If it gets really bad the doctor can prescribe anti-sickness medication for you,don't suffer...x

Oh that's so sad...do you throw up all the time :(

Hi Minn, not every time, but enough to lose confidence in eating if that makes sense. Seeing my consultant next week and if things haven't improved by then I'll discuss it with him. Thanks.

I'm so sorry to hear this Lippy. Is it happening with everything? Pm me if I can offer any support.

Thanks for your support Yve, just feeling a little sorry for myself! Going to go back to puréed foods for 48 hours to see if it helps. X

I was the same as Lippy, today is the first meal in five weeks I've kept down fully. I would have liked to know how difficult it can be and how painful in the early days.

Hi ClaireMarie, I keep hoping my next meal will stay down. Tonight has stayed down, cheesy mash. What's confusing is I can eat something a couple of times, then the next time my pouch wouldn't tolerate it. Ah well it's quite a learning curve. Glad you're feeling better. X

I have quite positive things to say. Pre op I had last meal syndrome very badly, really mourned food. So I wish I had known that I wasn't saying goodbye to my enjoyment of food, and all the social things that go with it.

I am in same place as you its bad right now

im post op 7mnth and still being sick not all the time but alot of the time, not lost weight since june and i dont enjoy food anymore:cry:

i wish someone had told me that i can spend that long eating one meal that i actually get fed up of it and give up!

Back