• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Things I wish someone had told me.

Wish someone had told me how hard it would be to get the chew balance right .. To much chewing and it just passes through and I can eat loads. If I don't chew enough it sticks and I'm sick. Also wished someone told me that I may become almost if not totally fat intolerant. ... Would I change anything though. Absolutely not!

my biggest advice is listen to the recommendations of your team I didn't and wish I had I was determined to have a band although bypass was clearly the best option and also having problems with band I wish now id had the bypass which was rightly advised.

Hi ClaireMarie, I keep hoping my next meal will stay down. Tonight has stayed down, cheesy mash. What's confusing is I can eat something a couple of times, then the next time my pouch wouldn't tolerate it. Ah well it's quite a learning curve. Glad you're feeling better. X

Everything does seem to be trial and error, I've discovered Sainsburys kiddies meals, I've found a third of one is the right size and it stays down, I know we are all different but it might be a case of just finding something, anything you can eat. I understand totally now how people develop food phobias I dread meal times, and just wait for it, I've spent so much of the last five weeks in the loo. :p

I knew all there was needed to be known I did an awful lot of research so no surprises for me other than I wish I knew how infrequent I would be opening my bowls and how painful it is. (sorry TMI) Lool x

I too did loads of research, but no matter how much research I did I didn't understand that it really wasn't any easier than dieting preop. I could say I wish someone had told me, but I'd read all about it on the forums etc - I didn't really want to hear it.

I too did loads of research, but no matter how much research I did I didn't understand that it really wasn't any easier than dieting preop. I could say I wish someone had told me, but I'd read all about it on the forums etc - I didn't really want to hear it.

This is a bit how I feel Yve x x

I am am pre op so I can't really add to the list but I want to say...

Those struggling, I really hope it gets better for you soon. I feel for you all.

Also Yve, my physiologist said that to me; after surgery and after the first few months. It will be just like it was before with the dieting and the struggle. We have to really work hard.

Don't get me wrong, people told me. I knew this to be true intellectually. Emotionally and also the maths made me choose not to believe it.

I have supported my best friend through his bypass eight years ago - including being the one who walked down to theatre with him, and was there when he arrived in HDU from Recovery. I've been there every step, and did a shed load of research myself before taking the plunge to have my bypass done in July. But nothing, NOTHING prepared me for how challenging the first weeks would be afterwards.

To Lippy, and anyone else struggling to get back onto 'normal' foods - that was me for a few weeks at around the stage you are at now, throwing up every time and getting v anxious about eating in case, which just made it worse. If you can't tolerate something, forget about it for a few weeks and try something else. I will be four months on Tuesday and can eat most things now, just not much of them. Even had a slice of thin pizza yesterday - not a healthy choice I know but one slice (minus the crust) was plenty. I would have eaten the whole thing before. My team says this is exactly how it should be - eating like a 'normal' person (with a few exceptions relating to sugars and fats) but not very much. I'm happy with that. Really hope you guys turn the corner soon. Don't forget that we all heal at different speeds and the swelling in some of us takes longer to go down. Persevere if you can, it will all be fine. Hugs to you all xx

Are you still hungry then? I honestly thought if the hunger went it would be easier to not eat as much
(I am pre-op, bypass tomorrow) xx

Yes, I never really lost real physical hunger. And I am glad for that a it helps me tells the difference.

Ive always had real hunger too, but I do think that hunger being greatly reduced does help a lot. I now know that I was hungry all the time, its something ive only realised now that I only get hungry when I REALLY need food. I agree though, one thing that this process has taught me is, there is NO easy way to loose weight. Every pound lost is a fight, not always physically, sometimes psychologically.

Well I have to be honest I have very rarely or do feel very rarely hungry, I know I have to eat and meal times are still something to look forward to to me. It sounds silly and dunno if you all were the same but if I am going anywhere and if there is going to be a meal or buffet, I get excited wondering what there will be, I know we cant eat much now but it still has that pull for me I never forget to eat, sometimes its difficult to fit in but I always manage it. I know that sounds sad but my head has not changed even if the body has think that's why I find it difficult. I still enjoy and lookforward to food n meals. Thinks still shout come and eat me. Chocolate still winks at me in the fridge only good thing is can only have small amount to what I would have once had. Its a funny old world but it is nicer to be thinner. just a shame I won't go down any further would have loved to be a 16 but it will never be. I am just plodding on doing what I am doing. Changing projects at work means I have a good walk to catch my bus then nutha good walk when I get off, and the same when I get to come home so extra exercise for me. My antibiotics are stopping me from grazing cos they have to be taken an hour before food or 2 hrs after food xx

I disagree there - I think we do need to have them.because while we can still have those foods in moderation, mentally I think we needed to say goodbye to that mindset. We needed that fresh start to rediscover the foods we now love. Because otherwise I suspect you end up purreeing a mars bar.

Yep ... It's Cheese, not Mars bars, that is my chocolate and I really struggle to resist. Thankfully my body is in control of that now as my fat intolerance kicks in if I dare overdo it but like chocolate it still winks at me from the fridge. I had to giggle at that chrisa

I had the bypass on the 29/10/13 so am in early stages.
I am feeling excellent I had no problems either with the operation nor since I am still on liquid type to puree consistency, I use protein powder once a day to add to milk I take my vitamins and calcium I walk have no! as yet side effects no rumbles no constipation etc I do make sure I drink a lot of fluid especially as I do not drink tea or coffee, I do blend ordinary food then thin with soup or milk depending what the food is I have half a Weetabix in the morning blended with banana then watered down with milk. I drink a couple of small glasses of skimmed milk a day in between meals.
I have no desire to eat chocolate or biscuits etc maybe I am very lucky and as others have said it is no quick fix but a healthier way to live.
Fingers crossed my journey continues problem free.

For me it's not so much what I wish people had told me, as I wish I had taken notice of.

I had some clothes I was looking forward to wearing that were too small - and by the time it occurred to me to try them again they were too big - and obviously too big.

I wish I had been ready for the fact that although my chest is now smaller than it was, for some reason it has become a fascination to some men I've known for a couple of years. To the extent I've actually pointed out to them where my face is!!

That I should take my measurements the day of my op, not just my weight.

That you can end up feeling guilty when you've had a trouble free ride and then read the terrible things others have had to go through or are going through.

For every person you thought would be supportive and isn't, there are another 3 you were nervous about telling who are stoked for you.

How difficult it is to see the 'new you' in the mirror. While I don't see the 22 stone size 26 woman of 22 Feb 2013, I see the size 20 14 stone 3 lb woman on now. I'm actually a size 16 but I see size 20.

4wks post op (bypass on 17th Oct) at St Richards, Chichester...

I wish I had known about having to self-inject for 2wks (twice a day) after surgery with heparin...

the injections were provided and the needles small and thin etc - but as the tummy fat disappeared they got a little painful towards the end.. but then being a bloke I am a woos where pain is concerned! The good news was that time passed quickly and before I knew it, 2wks had passed.

Back