• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Things that I'm starting to freak out about.

yorkiegal

Baxter's mum
My op is in 4 weeks time and it's starting to become very real. A few things are really worrying me.

Will I be constantly thirsty? I get thirsty a lot and I gulp diet coke. Will sipping water work?

I am the worlds worst cook. I foresee a puree stage where I exist on dairylea triangles and tins of soup. The thought of pureeing meat makes me want to gag.

Am I going to spend all day trying to figure out if i've had enough protein. The post op diet sheet my dietician gave me is confusing. It states that I should never eat more than 1-2 tablespoons of pureed food at each of my 6 meals per day, then on the example of a daily menu it contradicts it and suggests one meal of mashed spud and baked beans plus a yoghurt, when surely the yoghurt itself would be too much volume.
I don't see how I can get even enough protein in 2 tablespoons x 6 meals per day. I feel like I need a degree to figure it all out.

Oh and these damn nicotine patches are still causing me to have freaky dreams about wls. Last night I dreamt the operating theatre was on the 200th floor and whichever lift I took it would never stop on that floor and I ended up being too late to have surgery. Then my friend stepped into the lift in front of me and fell 10 storeys and I had to decide between getting help for her or going to have my op lol. Arghhhhh!:D

Big an Bouncy

First of all big breath and relax!
After surgery my mouth was dry but I still dont get really thirsy 8 weeks out,I have to remember to drink all the time.I have two swigs and stop.If I have three it gets uncomfortable so its only with experience you will know what to do.We are all so different!Deffo no gulping it would really hurt.
Food wise buy readymade meals like shepherds pie and blitz them you will only eat a little so freeze it in small portions.Homemade soups and stews are also a great idea and very easy to make.When the diet sheet says baked spud and beans it means just a diddy spud, egg size and a tbsp of beans and dont eat the skin!Yoghurt a Petit Filous size.Eat the beans mashed into the spud.Cottage cheese,peanut butter,walnuts all chew down well.
Brekkie 1 egg mashed/scrambled
Snack Babybel
Lunch Small mug lentil soup
Snack 6 walnut halves
Tea 2 tbsp tin minced lamb 1or2 weightwatchers frozen mash portions
Snack laughing cow triangle
Supper milky coffee
Each has protein,easy to eat and digest.
When you can eat solids Ryvita fruit crunch are heaven with whole earth peanut butter on! Hope this helps!Maz x

yorkiegal

Baxter's mum
thanks so much maz, that's some great ideas.

And congrats on your slimmer of the week award.

penguina

I am like you too Yorkie, so confused.

If you are meant to eat your protein first, why when on sloppies or mashed is mashed potato talked about so much. Like the small potato above with beans, isn't that a small protein but filling up with carbs? Where people say peanut butter - isn't that too high in fat?

yorkiegal

Baxter's mum
and can i puree fruit or will it make me dump? i found a fab sounding recipe including fruit, cottage cheese and sf jelly but don't want to make loads if it's going to make me ill.

tashaliza

hi yorkie,
I'm currently nearly three weeks post op and i have had pureed pears in juice with low fat custard and i didnt dump :)
Saying that i also had pure orange juice and that did make me dump :(
i guess that its just trial and error and what makes you dump one day, wont the next.
take care tasha xx

Tracey ( eyore)

yorkie,
before my op all i drank was diet coke or water, since my op i only drink water i dont missd my diet coke at all ............. try not to worry hun, this will be good for you xx

phatmomma

Yorkie, chill girl, you've waited far too long to panic about this now...

Firstly i was never as thirsty as you anticipate being, but i would recommend that you only gulp once cos it hurts like beep!!!! Keep a glass of nas squash by your side and constantly sip sip sip, also some low sugar ice lollies and mini milks are a great help :)

Now as to the mate who fell ten floors, leave her, she should have walked down, go get your op you fought so hard for xx

yorkiegal

Baxter's mum
lol thanks a lot hon xx

CCPM

Fighting on day by day
Sip all day thats the way, as Julie says always have something by your side. Protein first will really kick in when you are on solids, meawhile just focus on getting somthing in when you can and mashed spuds help you get other things down you at the puree stage. I absolutely hated pureed anything and needs must ate rich teas biscuits (allowed by my provider from the outset with cottage cheese) the pureed stage is to allow your tum time to heal so just get in what you can and wait it out to get focused more on protein.

M

yorkiegal

Baxter's mum
Just bringing this post up again to reassure any newbies who might stumble across it in a search.

I don't miss diet coke at all!
I'm really enjoying pureed meats, especially cottage pie.
I'm managing to sip my robinsons juice and don't feel thirsty.

I don't know what I was panicking about lol.

I'm having lots of mini muller rices and mugs of milky coffee to get my protein in but I feel great about the diet.

Ankaas

Thank god you updated that post yorkiegal - I've have all the same thoughts now and it overwhelms me sometimes but I'm glad it's sorted for you and I feel better now knowing your fears (and mine) really have come to nothing and you're coping really well. Good health and happiness always xxx

xxsarahxx

Thanks for updating, it puts my mind at ease knowing it's not as bad as we think it's going to be x

penelope1008

Thanks for the update and so glad you are feeling and eating well and ready to face the world fromthe losers bench for a very long time yet.

allstarcheer921

I had the same worries right up until I went in for my surgery. You will never be not thirsty. I feel I don't drink enough and as far as the puree meat... alot of markets have them in prepared food sections. Also you could do tuna or any other fish really because it almost disintegrates in your mouth! I wish you luck!