• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Things you CAN now do since surgery?!

Lisa J

CRYSTAL PALACE FC!
Since losing 8st 7lb there are many things that i can now do which i couldnt before, here are a few of my favourites, what are yours?

Trampoline with my 8 year old daughter without sending her into orbit :eek:

Walk along without the constant thud of my knees banging together :p

Pull the plug out of the bath and drain the water without a tsunami happening when i stand up :D

Bend over and do my laces up without having to hold my breath and turn blue :eek:

Go into a clothes shop and think to myself 'i'm not gonna buy that not because it dont fit but because i dont like it' ;)

There are many many more all because of my gastric bypass.....my new best friend xxx

I haven't lost anywhere near as much as you & am still figuring out what to do with my new body shape/size & am still behaving like I did at my heaviest.

However the biggest thing I can do now that I couldn't do before is feel bones!!! In my ribs, my knees, my neck bones, wrists... I've become obessessed & keep making all my (close) family & friends feel my bones :)

I do agree with the Tsunami in the bath thing as well though!

I'm only just over half way to my target, but already theres lots I can do that I couldnt before.

Put my socks on without pain.
Shop in normal shops and choose things I like instead of making do with the first thing that fits.
My 5 year old daughter can put her arms all the way round my waist now for a cuddle.
Theres lots of little things that slim people take for granted.

But the thing that I am most proud of is that I have started running!

Hmmmm, things I can do now I couldn't do before?

Ok, so there's lots of practical things like cross my legs, swim without the embarrassment, sleep without discomfort, file through my wardrobe and moan because everything's too BIG... :rolleyes:

But the one thing that sticks out in my mind is I can now laugh and smile without having that hidden desperate feeling of sadness burning inside. It's totally gone, vanished, scramoosh, flown away and I'm now happy inside and out!

And I do laugh and smile...LOTS!!!! :D

Cuppa xx

I love the fact that I now have one piece of toast, instead of six.

I love eating to live and not living to eat.

I can interlock my fingers easily, instead of fat little sausages squishing together.

Bones!

for me one of the biggest things is personal hygine. i used to be so sweaty that i always worried that i smelt. I have always had my waxing done on a regular basis every 3 weeks but actually being able to see whats been done and compleate the task with a trim and seeing what im doing is one of my major achivements. Still dont fancy a brazillian though!!

I can now swim non stop for half an hour without feeling like i'm gonna have a heart attack, get down on the floor to play with my Granddaughter, and get back up easily, wear long boots , jeans and feel much more happy and confident:D:D

for me one of the biggest things is personal hygine. i used to be so sweaty that i always worried that i smelt. I have always had my waxing done on a regular basis every 3 weeks but actually being able to see whats been done and compleate the task with a trim and seeing what im doing is one of my major achivements. Still dont fancy a brazillian though!!

No No No thats far to much info haha xx

I've only started on my journey but I have noticed I've much more energy! I used to have a sleep in the afternoon as I was so tired but now I don't because I'm too energetic.

I also agree with the personal hygiene thing. Since my op I've been cold all the time so I've noticed that now I'm not sweating as much I don't feel as dirty or greasy, I don't know how else to put it.

i agree with all of the above. The one thing I am so pleased about it I can go for a walk instead of walking to the car and collapsing into it and reaching for the inhaler. sleeping all night without my cpap mask on. Smiling and meaning it and most of all I am starting to feel like the person I was when I first met Andy (my hubby) But the most important thing is I can be a proper wife physicaly now. for 2 years I have been unable to have a sexual side to my marriage and now I can. I feel like a proper woman again and all thanks to my gastric bypass, the best thing I have ever done after having my kids and marrying my lovely loyal patient husband xxx

Cross my legs

Put on tights and socks

Walk and breathe without nearly dying

Not so hot and sweaty - infact freezing at times lol

Be invisible - people don't stare at me anymore

Smile

Loads of positives - not easy though

Angela x

Great Thread

It is early days for me yet but already I can fit into some of the clothes cluttering up my wardrobe that I never got rid of as I knew I would get into them some day. That day is here :)

I still feel its early days for me to, but here goes:)

Being able to walk without cripppling backache.

Not snoring anymore at nighttime (so hubby tells me)

My breathign is alot easier now and dont get so out of breath:)

I can now power walk instead of a slow one.

The best thing for me is that i can now get my engagment ring back on, cause i havent worn it for 5 years now:) Looking forward to putting my wedding ring on to, wont be long now:)

Sharon xx

Hi,

Well congrats to you all, I just hope that in a few months I will be able to start ticking all those off my list.

The main one is to have a bath. I wont get in a bath and just have showers, mainly cause I get in and the water gets out:8855:. I would love to have a long leisurely wallow in the bath I intend to make it wonderful with scented candles all around and music playing in the background and to lay there until I turn into a prune. My goal is too do this my birthday by the 28th Of June, surgery is on the 12th of March so I'm hoping i can do it.

Take Care

Paula XX

I love the bath thing too, usually shower but had a bath (with candles and a good book) this afternoon - no more touching the sides. I did quite like the dam effect though, I thought it was funny in a way.

Crossing my legs is another - I haven't been able to do it as an adult and I have a little giggle every time I do it. My Mum always thought I was so common to sit with my legs uncrossed - can't wait to show her my new skill (next weekend!).

I have one problem though - if I sit on my sofa for a while to watch tv, my bum goes numb! Never had that problem before hahaha.

I'm with you on the bath thing too, I used to really worry I'd get in and the floor would collapse and both the bath and I would end up in a heap on the living room floor. :eek: I don't worry about that now, I feel the cold more so tend to warm up with a nice hot bath...Molton Brown bubbles...good book...face pack...peace and quiet... mmmm bliss!

Cuppa xx

Crossing my legs...NEVER been able to do that before ever and now I can and do in comfort and like others I have a little giggle to myself whenever I do it.

Using my laptop as just that...a LAPtop...pre-op my tummy was so large that it sat on a lot of my thighs and as Im not very tall and have only dinky legs it meant that I didnt have the space on my lap for my laptop, hell, I didnt have a LAP!!! I do now though and I adore that.

I am not constantly burning hot whereas I used to be, now Im either comfortable or cold and love it bizarrely lol

Take care of my washing and toileting myself and am able to reach every single part of my body myself.

Buy clothes that I actually like rather than just whatever will fit which is a novelty to me and especially so as I havent lost THAT much weight but my shape is changing nicely.

Feeling bones that I have never felt lol

Being in control of my eating and not having it in control of me.

I LOVE my bypass xxx

Steph xx

1)Get to sleep easier and stay asleep rather than waking up god knows how many times a night,

2)Run up the stairs (I do this for no apparent reason sometimes and get funny looks when I do it at work)

3)Buy clothes in the high street store of my choice,

4)Walk to places instead of driving, popped out to day to see a car and walked about 4 miles couldnt get past the end of the road last november,

5) Stay on my exercise bike for more than a minuite without having to have a good rest afterwards, I do about 15 mins now

Yay! Congrats to you. Your tsunami made me laugh....I've sure seen a few of those in my baths!

Haven't had my op yet but things I'm really looking forward to include:
- My boyfriend being able to pick me up and swing me round when dancing
- Having babies and running round after them without getting out of breath after 30 seconds
- Looking 'normal' and not standing out
- Not having to worry about plane seats
- Not having to shop in Evans!

Back