• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Thinking of a band

my provider was pushing both myself and husband toward bypass, however overweight i felt i didnt feel i wanted anything as drastic so opted for the band. We are really happy with how everything is going. I could eat chocolate and crisps still but its my choice not to, and its my choice to exercise as much as i can! x x x good luck with your decision xx x

I had the band fitted in July, didn't need pre op as bmi was 30... Beat thing I ever did, I still enjoy food but in much smaller quantities and mostly eat what I fancy. Food no longer takes over all my thinking..
Good luck with your decision.

Lou x

Thanks girls, enjoying reading your diaries. Lou, how much did you loose each week? Xx

I've worked out my average including pre op and that works out at 3.75lbs a week at the moment it's about 2lbs a week x x

Salty, is there anything in particular at the moment that is making you unsure? Is it you're unsure f it's the right method of surgery or indeed whether you're ready for surgery at all?

To be honest topkat I don't think I want anything more invasive than a band, but cos I have read loads about bands failing1-2percent a year world wide this worries me. I can se how bands can be effective and am very tempted. Also unsure how I will cope post op as I love my food xx :)

Thanks girls, enjoying reading your diaries. Lou, how much did you loose each week? Xx

Hiya

I've lost 20lb in 15 weeks, it doesn't seem much but I am so happy with that as I haven't needed to try to hard...
Also I have been on a two week cruise!!

Best of all I am now 10.7 and a size 12... And no fear of regain!

The band has been a blessing to me.. X

Wow amasing Lou what was your stArt weight? Xx:)

I was 12 stone and a size 14.. Bmi 30. Highest weight was 14 stone a few years ago and lowest 9.12 after lighter life.. But I could feel the weight creeping on and on.. And I wanted to end my obsession with food and dieting.. And the band has done that for me, it's like a massive weight has been lifted, I feel free.
Yet I still enjoy food and currently don't have my band to tight.. Eating some monster munch as we speak!

I am a size 18-20 5ft. 7weigh 15 st 7:( lost 3half stone on lighter life felt great at 11 stone 4. Put all back on.what can you all eat a day? Worried but think a band may be only option as tried other diets, thankyou all so much for your kind support. Xxxx

Watching strictly now used to dance salsa loads I let myself go drink eat smoke...:( but kinda content with boyfriend since divorce.xx

I don't really each much at all.. Mostly still naughty with crisps and chocolate but I'm ok with that..
What r u worrying about?

I thought I would be in the 1-2% that would fail with the band.. But I realise that that is unlikely. It takes away so much of your hunger u don't feel like eating or cheating.
I understand why it isn't recommended for some people as it does depend on your eating habits..

But I've not even reached perfect restriction and already I'm happy. Need another fill ASAP!

Would u prefer a bypass?

I am a size 18-20 5ft. 7weigh 15 st 7:( lost 3half stone on lighter life felt great at 11 stone 4. Put all back on.what can you all eat a day? Worried but think a band may be only option as tried other diets, thankyou all so much for your kind support. Xxxx

I lost over 5 stone on lighter life in 3 months, put it all back on and a few stone more, but it made me incredibly ill. Many people seem to think that having a band stops them eating. It doesn't. It doesn't stop you having a healthy balanced selection of food. Some people cannot tolerate certain foods, often red meat, eggs, bread, rice/pasta.

Some providers advise not to eat certain foods. My own doesn't. They don't ban any foods so it really is what you can eat and tolerate. I'm now 14 1/2 months post op, and have had a struggle to get restriction. In the 13 months there wasn't any food that I couldn't eat, but then I had no restriction. I still don't. Last month I had too much restriction and as such could only eat ryvita, chocolates and biscuits. If you've got too much restriction you can only eat what are thought of to be the wrong foods. It hasn't taken awAy my hunger at all, and it doesn't always do so. And as I had a defill I'm having to start over :(

The band won't stop you eating all of those foods many consider "bad" but neither does it stop you eating a wide variety of foods. As such, it needn't stop you eating out, eating many things, having a variety and wide selection if foods.

One thing that is hard, is if you don't have restriction not to eat all day! It takes a lot of willpower, a lot of self control especially as you still need to stick to portion guidelines.

It's not an easy fix which so many people who don't experience it seem to think, in fact it can be darn hard work. But it's a wonderful tool and even though the past 6 weeks of my band journey have been really hard and I've taken steps back due to having a defill, I don't regret it for a moment. But I was also 100% certain it was the right decision for me before I had surgery altho it took me 7 years to get to the point of making that decision.

I think you need to be 100% ready for the band, if you're not, it's going to be hard. Like somebody else posted, the band will only do 30% of the work for you.
I have my band where it works for me now, I follow my dieticians advice to the letter, don't snack, don't eat anything I shouldn't, eating the crunch veg and salads work, ate half a chicken breast with veg last night and I was done, feel full for ages and don't need anything else. Ultimately it's down to us what food we put in our mouths, work with your band and it will work for you, but don't get it done unless you are 100% sure it's what you want because it will change your eating habits if you want it to :)
Personally it's the best thing I've ever done xxx :)

I eat about 1200 cals but that consists of 3 very small meals and two snacks I have no full at the mo so am starting to feel a ill hungry but it's not going to stop me I choose to put only the good food in me, I've paid for this so Ive got too much invested in it to cheat x x

Topkat Lou ema banded and everyone else you are an inspiration. Thankyou from bottom of my heart. Went to 2 company's both said bmi was too low for anything other than band which I accept after doing research I think band is for me.
I know I like naughty food but can cut portion sizes but can also eat healthy too ish.
I am glad you are all here, thinking about band in January just trying to decide, trying to visualise it.

To be honest topkat I don't think I want anything more invasive than a band, but cos I have read loads about bands failing1-2percent a year world wide this worries me. I can se how bands can be effective and am very tempted. Also unsure how I will cope post op as I love my food xx :)

If you follow all your provider's guidelines, it gives the band the best possible chance of success. A lot of failures are down to user error, then they blame the band.

Don't worry, it doesn't mean you can't eat anything! In fact, you can still eat pretty much everything, so you still need considerable willpower. You just have smaller portions and have to eat much more slowly and chew a lot more.

I had this fear too, but ultimately the desire to lose weight was stronger. So far I've not felt denied in any way, I feel free!

Back