• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

TMI constipation after bypass

2nd chance Jo

Firstly sorry I know there maybe posts on here but I can't find them!

I'm 3 and a half weeks post bypass and ever since surgery I'm only going to empty bowls every 4-5 days and sometimes it's hardly worth the trip! I'm on the loo for upto half an hour sometimes trying to go :( I upped my fluids and I have defiantly drunk enough, any more suggestions? I'm eating more now also and thought it might get things moving. .. I will mention it to nurse at my gp surgery but not there tills thurs.

Again soo sorry for the post x

nicola1723

Hi! Its very common post-op. I used glycerin suppostries as they don't touch the pouch and help to soften things up and make it easier to go. Some people try lactulose but I dumped on it!

Llora

I take dulcolax once in a while.. When i really need it. But the only time i have issues its when i dont drink enough and thats my fault! ;)

Some people say that prunes or prune juice help.. But i have not tried it..

I had this problem pre-surgery, so post surgery was an absolute nightmare. I told the surgeon at SRH when I went for my 8 week check and he said I would be ok to take dulcolax. I was prescribed one a day and it works ok - I just take 2 now and then if I really need to go. I've had no problems at all taking these x

chrisa

I am a believer of sun sweet prune juice works a treat bought in main supermarkets really good. for constipation makes life a lot easier. x

los in it

I suffered post op I was in tears at one point took advise from crista and got prune juice and brought some over the counter pills medication dulcolax both worked within a couple of days but was painful till it kicked in

nicola1723

Prune juice made me dump. Duclolax gave me cramps! You have to try a few different things to see what suits. Good luck. Constipation is horrid

mouse57

Senna tablets Asda brand are ok I use every now and then they might take a day or two to work but they are quite gentle on the system. Juices, fruit and veg have no effect I have never been constipated in my life until I had this op you are in the early days yet so you won't be putting in to much to get back out if you know what I mean. I only go once a week if I'm lucky but it is such a relief when it happens .

2nd chance Jo

Hi everyone thanks for your comments. I finally got some dulcolax yesterday and rather than wait till the night I took it soon as I got home. I was fine on it I got the sugar free liquid form and only took 5ml, it worked and no problems at all. It was a relief I'd been in agony before! I will take another tonight and see how I go x

SHARONA

Firstly sorry I know there maybe posts on here but I can't find them! I'm 3 and a half weeks post bypass and ever since surgery I'm only going to empty bowls every 4-5 days and sometimes it's hardly worth the trip! I'm on the loo for upto half an hour sometimes trying to go :( I upped my fluids and I have defiantly drunk enough, any more suggestions? I'm eating more now also and thought it might get things moving. .. I will mention it to nurse at my gp surgery but not there tills thurs. Again soo sorry for the post x
Hi there i had same prob and put oh here under constipation thread title. Its hell i was in so much pain and had to Manuel evacuate often. I used ducolax had prescribed microgel with micro enemas you can also use suppositories over counter which do help to you see your GP. If you are taking any pain killers such as codeine etc these can make you constipated plus iron preparations. Also drink drink drink lots of water it does help. Please dont leave it longer than 2 days to pass motions or you will be in so much pain best wishes x. Ps i sent the thread title see it on the thread feeds x

Hi everyone thanks for your comments. I finally got some dulcolax yesterday and rather than wait till the night I took it soon as I got home. I was fine on it I got the sugar free liquid form and only took 5ml, it worked and no problems at all. It was a relief I'd been in agony before! I will take another tonight and see how I go x
Hi, I had a bypass operation in 2014 and I suffered with not going to the toilet much, my Dr gave me laxibo one in a morning one at night and I go each day, be very careful as you might develop piles like me. Hope this will help bigbeefybuilder

janeynic

Emptying bowels every 3-4 days! I've just realised I'm going to save a fortune on loo roll as well as food! Wait till I tell my husband! Back on subject though constipation can be so painful, so not looking forward to that as a side effect.

nafpnd

Yes, am dreading this, suffer from constipation on low carb pre op diet already so will probably get worse. Am ok if I eat the green veg but am always too lazy to cook it so I take magnesium supplement (osteocare) and that helps keep me regular. Fiber makes things worse and laxatives give me cramps. Will try prune juice post op.

blossom11

My dad had a bypass 14 years ago...he swears by putting a couple of prunes in his porridge each day!

oodles83

I had a horrible experience after the surgery too. Now I take Dulcolax every day, I also eat dried apricots and prunes. And I get these fibre figgy cube things from Holland & Barrett. And I eat liquorice every day. I'm never going back to a life without digestive aids!!

I had a horrendous time after surgery 21 days without a BM and was ill! The team threatened to take me in to give enemas but managed to got with a mixture of suppositories Senna and movical - now I go about twice a week without any help would like to go more but don't want to be reliant on suppositories or tablets! Hope you get sorted!

niccie

I had a horrendous time after surgery 21 days without a BM and was ill! The team threatened to take me in to give enemas but managed to got with a mixture of suppositories Senna and movical - now I go about twice a week without any help would like to go more but don't want to be reliant on suppositories or tablets! Hope you get sorted!
I can't imagine 21 days, omg that must have been horrendous X

It wasn't one of my best moments lol! I was getting reflux and nausea along with all the other symptoms of constipation - felt very sorry for myself I can tell you!