• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gastric Sleeve To gym or not to gym

2ndchance

I'm nearly 2 months post op and I haven't been to the gym yet. I'm being more active in my normal day to day life but I know I need to work out. Can anybody offer me any advice for my first workout? I won't lie I'm scared!!! :(

I don't want to have saggy skin if I can help it and I can feel my body changing already so I need to do something quick

Thanks x

Set some easy goals for your first workout :) The point is not to push yourself to the max on your first workout but to achieve three things - 1) go in and workout. 2) Enjoy the workout 3) Feel successful.

If you can achieve these three things you're much more likely to go again, and you'll be surprised how quickly you want to push the intensity.

If you go to a gym they will have a personal trainer on call there who can give you a program to follow. Based on your particular needs.

Take it easy and in bite size chunks. If your new to the gym they usually have a free induction session with a personal trainer to show you how to use the equipment, they can take you through some basics.

You may still find some abdominal work challenging due to your scars.

Dont take what they say as gospel as almost certainly they will have no idea about wls and you need to have your common sense hat on!

Don't tend to make new years resolutions but decided to join gym recently opened nearby to work. It's not too large so hopefully won't feel too self conscious.

I was worried and shy when I joined a gym last year after my operation - but it has been great. I chose a women only gym and really love it, it's great watching everyone change shape and get more energy. I'm moving soon and will have to leave, checked out the gym near our new place and it's all spin classes and pole dancing - not my thing at all!!

Good luck with it all x go for it

I was worried and shy when I joined a gym last year after my operation - but it has been great. I chose a women only gym and really love it, it's great watching everyone change shape and get more energy. I'm moving soon and will have to leave, checked out the gym near our new place and it's all spin classes and pole dancing - not my thing at all!!

Good luck with it all x go for it

If you come across Zumba classes, try it! I am only 5 weeks post wrap so can't go back yet but that is the only fun yet really intense work out I have ever enjoyed or stuck to?! And that's coming from a gym/exercise phobic ...plus the classes are near always women only. Good luck ;-)

Well I would just like to say ladies, over the years I have been to the gym on and off tried running/jogging always been active even at my heaviest 24 st 11 I went to Zumba and could dance the night away. I recently watched a program I don't know if any one saw it or not bout 50 rules for a health body diet and exercise. Well the exercise was quite worrying, the health experst are encouraging people to walk more as people who run regularly and do Zumba and aerobics and gym work are all after some time showing signs of wear and tear on knee joints and hip joints, torn ligaments, torn muscles etc. People are getting joint replacements and repairs younger and younger because of the impact of this exercise. It referred abck to yes trainers are padded thye can damage our feet and apply pressure yo calves etc. The constant pounding on the joints is really damaging, as is the no pain no gain saying. The body is being punished and cannot cope and so things begin to go wrong, the heart is being put under increased pressure and heart attacks are becoming more common also as healthy eating is not taking place and then they go to exercise and dont realise arteries are becoming blocked hence heartattack. IT WAS ON FOR 2 HOURS was amazing really, very eye opening. Don;t think I will be going back to gym AFTER WATCHING THAT. Just food for thought and we all have our own opinions just thought would play devils advocate xx Hope you don't mind xx

Well I would just like to say ladies, over the years I have been to the gym on and off tried running/jogging always been active even at my heaviest 24 st 11 I went to Zumba and could dance the night away. I recently watched a program I don't know if any one saw it or not bout 50 rules for a health body diet and exercise. Well the exercise was quite worrying, the health experst are encouraging people to walk more as people who run regularly and do Zumba and aerobics and gym work are all after some time showing signs of wear and tear on knee joints and hip joints, torn ligaments, torn muscles etc. People are getting joint replacements and repairs younger and younger because of the impact of this exercise. It referred abck to yes trainers are padded thye can damage our feet and apply pressure yo calves etc. The constant pounding on the joints is really damaging, as is the no pain no gain saying. The body is being punished and cannot cope and so things begin to go wrong, the heart is being put under increased pressure and heart attacks are becoming more common also as healthy eating is not taking place and then they go to exercise and dont realise arteries are becoming blocked hence heartattack. IT WAS ON FOR 2 HOURS was amazing really, very eye opening. Don;t think I will be going back to gym AFTER WATCHING THAT. Just food for thought and we all have our own opinions just thought would play devils advocate xx Hope you don't mind xx

Thank you ever so much for that! Certainly gave me food for thoughts....I think its great when ppl like you are brave enough to put their knowledge forward not knowing how its going to be received. I do love my Zumba but my back n hips have been straining so I recently thought about getting a pilates machine which is meant to be very gentle on your joints..and maybe doing some aquarobics (once am comfy in a swim suit!...no time soon...lol) Wish I had seen it? Can you recall when and what channel it was on by any chance? I will certainly think twice in recommending Zumba :-!

I loved the gym, and used it a lot until recently then I got a job where I had to commute plus do 10 and half hour shifts. With the gym being a 20 minute walk away (can't drive) I just wasn't finding the time and just using it at the weekend didn't make the £44 a month worth it. So I've just invested in a treadmill, which is what I use to use at the gym the most anyway. The only I will miss is the weight machines but will have to get some hand weights to replace them. A kettle bell is good too :)

Don't tend to make new years resolutions but decided to join gym recently opened nearby to work. It's not too large so hopefully won't feel too self conscious.

Visited the gym and the staff are really friendly and cheap for London, £20 monthly, no contract. Agreed to start next month with a few colleagues.

Thank you ever so much for that! Certainly gave me food for thoughts....I think its great when ppl like you are brave enough to put their knowledge forward not knowing how its going to be received. I do love my Zumba but my back n hips have been straining so I recently thought about getting a pilates machine which is meant to be very gentle on your joints..and maybe doing some aquarobics (once am comfy in a swim suit!...no time soon...lol) Wish I had seen it? Can you recall when and what channel it was on by any chance? I will certainly think twice in recommending Zumba :-!

The program was channel 5 , 50 facts about diet n exercise. worth a look if you can catch it on i player dunno wot day sorry xx

It seems it was running they were most concerned about to do with joints in the programme.

I guess it depends on what they have you doing in Zumba, I used to love it but lost my confidence and don't go anymore but once I've dropped a good few stone then I plan on going back - too much fun and it's not as if I do it everyday.

Also got loads of dance games for the Wii which will come in useful :)

Anything that gets you a little outta breath is good exercise wether that is just walking quickly,going up n down stairs, riding a bike, pushing a pushchair, out sledging with the kids, trudging round in the snow, digging garden and cleaning bthe house are all natural things that we can do without paying, and feeling like we ar improperley dressed or thinking people are looking and taking the p*** outta us. I do have a pilates ball which i enjoy it really tones up all areas and you can use oit for bouncing up n down on to get outta breath as well give it ago xx

at the minute I only do stuff in the house - aerobics dvd's, wii etc, i've considered buying a treadmill but I suspect i'll get bored of it eventually - I have a pilates ball that i should blow up and use (think I can remember the exercises I was given) - I will lose weight :)

I couldn't go witnout the gym!! I try and do weights 4 - 5 times a week, not for fat burning but for shaping and muscle definition... and so far seems to be paying off as not any real loose skin so to speak of but I'm a long way off getting a six pack back.. much harder work at my age... I do run now but only a couple of ks 2/3 times a week and no more as last ting I want to do is end up bad knees or hips. I think any form of exercise to excess would damage you, the secret is to know you limits and increase gradually.. but I do think apart from surgery the only way to change the shape of your body is with some muscle definition. But that's only my opinion, I'm no expert by any means

I totally agree with you Amanda - I will join a gym but only when I can actually exercise, I don't see the point in joining one now and then paying for 2 months of membership that I won't be using.

Good idea Embrace!! I started off walking then running, and only when I got the all clear from the surgeon to do weight bearing exercises did I then join the gym. Much better to make sure you are all healed and your muscles are ready to take that sort of exercise rather than do yourself a damage xxx

I plan on walking 30 mins a day and increasing up to 90 mins a day prior to joining a gym - my dogs will love it lol

Back