• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Total Newbie

truffle♥

hi everyone, im feeling a bit overwhelmed and exited about the decision I have made.
15+ years of yo-yo dieting are going to come to an end. I have tried literally everything and have just got steadily bigger, Im sure this is a familiar story.
A gastric band has been on my mind for a long time but something I thought i would not be able to have. Today though my lovely mother said she would pay for me to have it done privately. I was speechless overwhelmed but knew I had to grab this opportunity and try and break out of this miserable cycle.
As Im completely new to this I have a couple of questions.

Im from Devon and am thinking of going with thebariatric group, has anyone else had surgery in the south west/ recoomend good places.??

After your consultation how long do you have to wait for surgery?? could I book it for a couple of months away??

How long would i have to have off work( having a band) Im a nurse so job is quite active.

Many many thanks in advance:)

Hiya and congrats. From having my appt I was operated on 13 days later, it's that quick!!! Best part of going private. As for time off work I had 2 weeks off. You may need a little longer as your job is more active however?

Thanks Jo, i think im going to have to be patient because im going to need to book it as holiday and i know none is available till october/november. I figure this gives me plenty of time to get prepared xx

Oh no that's horrid having to wait :( I took hols too but I know of some who got signed off as sick for it! can't you beg work on the basis you're being reasonable and taking as annual leave?!?!?! patience....hmmm..tough! Lol

thanks maya! Im a bit stuck really, I could ask work and just have it as sick but i wasnt too keen on them knowing what im doing, not just yet anyway. Ive also got a cruise booked for october so im not sure what to do. Could i do a cruise with a band in im sure i could im really confused lol xx

Welcome truffle. Fantastic that you have this chance. Grab it with both hands ... The beauty of going private is that you can make those choices of who/where/when. Just prepare yourself and get your head in the right place. To make the most of what may be your new best friend, you cannot rely on it. It's a partnership ... But if you are prepared To put in the effort to...it's a fantastic life changing thing you are choosing! Keep us updated, and if you need anything, there are lots of us here to help you along the way.

Hi truffle (lovely name ) good luck and i'm sure someone will be along soon to answer your questions i live up north so no good in that dept xx

Hi welcome that's great news if you can go private it saves on loads off waiting and jumping through hoops
I had my band fitted on a wedensday and had ten days off work and the band was fantastic it was my best friend took some getting used to but when I got my sweet spot was just right
You don't lose all the time just like all diets you'll stick and then start again I used to alter just a little thing like walking
Any way going on a bit but welcome
Take care
Mark

welcome im 6 months post op weight loss 8 stone since op and 11 stone in total .best thing i ever done good luck

Hi Truffle. Welcome. You will love this site, there is just so many friendly people and a wealth of information. I went private but I had a bypass rather than a band, I'm not sure if that affected my waiting period but I still had to wait 4 months for my operation. I have a feeling it is because where I chose to go does NHS patients too and therefore it is super busy, so when you've done your research and chosen your hospital/surgeon it might be worth finding out how long you would have to wait. It could be a matter of weeks like it's been said so then you can work it out around your life/work etc.

Best of luck :) x

Hi
I had my band put in on may 24th at Bournemouth and I went with the Bariatric group and I can not fault them one bit they have been wonderful from the start and I would defiantly recommend them. My mum also went with them to have a bypass last year and she was really pleased with them as well. You can find cheaper companies but the Bariatric group do seam to have good patient care. The dietitian phoned me up to make sure I was ok because she hadn't heard from me!!

Yes you can cruise with a band....just try to get where you're at least on solids by then if you choose to have your op in say september

Good luck truffle, I am 12 days out!! And have noticed a difference, I know most surgeons will give you a two week sick note!
If its quick speak to your boss they have to be confidential explain and I am sure any reasonable boss will help you out and not disclose your information hope this helps and hope it goes well xxx

Excited for you truffle. Don't look back ... Look forward ... I had my op last July and went from a size 26 to a 16 by the Christmas ... What is your goal? Xxx

truffle? said:
Thankyou for all the kind replies. I have made an appointment with surgeon from the hospital group for the 22 july to sign up for gastic band yay xx

Good luck hope everything goes I've another op in 7 weeks total knee replacement

Back