• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Transfer Addiction :(

Jrichard

That's really good advice Hun, just to take one day at a time.

You've given up one addiction already (food) so you know that you can do it.

However if you have an addictive personality I would strongly recommend some professional support to get to the root of the problem.

Good luck and remember we are all behind you xxx.

Julie

tink1974

Hi, as everyone else has said u have done the hardest thing by admitting u have an issue with alcohol. I would really recommend Cognitive Behavioural Therapy. I went a few years ago because I was a secret binge eater. Part of this was therapy was looking at coping mechanisms for when i normally used food as it is common that we transfer our addiction once we sort our food addiction out.

I do feel that not enough emphasis is put on the psychological effects after surgery/ substantial weightloss. I know I only had an assessment by the hospital psychologist prior to having my op. I really think we need additional support afterwards.

You have been brave enough to overcome your food addiction and you know you will always get support on here. Its a tough journey but you will get to your destination with a bit of work.

Thinking about you x

Oh, by the way, my transfer addiction/ coping mechanism is ironing hehe - always hated it before - now when I am stressed I iron or clean :)

Mazza

Administrator
Staff member
Wow Linda! its VERY brave of you to admit this to yourself and to us. I hope that in doing so you feel a little better about it.

Well done with trying to do it by yourself but if you find yourself struggling it might be worth visiting your GP for some advice or possibly some form of therapy.

Good luck hun xxx

Sambucca

Sorry im not up to typing a long reply, but i agree with everything karl has said, and if there is anything i can do to support you, you only have to ask hun. X x x

mandym1

This is a not only brave of you to admit but very selfless of you. Its something we all should be aware of.. its ok reading about transfer addiction but reading about you going through it is a real wake up call.

You sound like a very brave woman to me and I just know you will get through this. There is lots of support on here for you. I wish you all the luck in the world. One day at a time... big hugs xx

GatorGirl99

Hi Linda,
This sadly happens all too often. I had my surgery in 2000, my co-worker in 2001 and my husband in 2001. I also started a support group where I worked shortly after my surgery. After about a year and a half my husband and co-worker started drinking alot. At that time there was no discussion or warning about addiction transfer. I experienced intense anxiety and depression. The doctor prescribed anti-depressants and anti-anxiety medication which didn't help, but did mask the symptoms for a short while. I quickly became addiction to those prescription medications.

I am now convinced that these new addictions are in large part due to the complications associated with long term nutrient deficiency, and in many cases not the result of a psychological transfer. After receiving many many emails from fellow sufferers, I noticed numerous things in common. None of them had the lap band - always the RNY. Most of the onset of problems started after the 1yr mark, usually 14-20 months. The addictions typically start after the person starts to feel "not right" and feel they need something to take that edge off. As soon as they find that something, the brain quickly associates that something with tremendous, albeit short-lived, relief.

After trying all the typical medical routes for relief to no avail, I started researching this on my own. Instinctively, I just felt it had something to do with the bypass of the intestines. I educated myself on the symptoms of deficiencies of nutrients, focusing primarily on the ones the duodenum is responsible for. For example, magnesium deficiency mimics panic attacks, anxiety, insomnia, rapid heartrate, etc. I started dramatically increasing my supplements - looking for the most absorbable types that I could find. I noticed the symptoms that were driving the addiction started to dissipate. The magnesium helped quite a bit. My energy started to come back. And I had all these little unexplained bruises on my legs and arms, that went away. Haven't had those in ages now. I self-inject my B-12 at least monthly and more often if needed.

I don't believe it's a coincidence that studies are showing all the problems gastric bypass patients are having with other problems associated with nutrient deficiency: increased risk of bone fractures, increased incidence of peripheral neuropathy.

There is a fascinating study done recently done by Dr. Magdalena Plecka Ostlund of the Karolinska Institutet in Stockholm showing that those people that had weight loss surgeries that bypassed the intestines had much higher rates of problems with addiction, depression and attempted suicide than those that had the Lap-Band (or similar type). Here is an excerpt from the study.

"The gastric bypass surgery cohort had higher Hazard Ratios (HR) than the restrictive surgery cohort for substance abuse (HR, 3.8), suicide attempt (HR, 4.1), alcohol abuse (HR, 4.0), and depression (HR, 2.4). For the restrictive surgery cohort, these HRs were, respectively, 1.4, 2.4, 1.2, and 1.8, she said."

Gastric
Bypass Band
Substance Abuse 3.8 1.4
Suicide Attempt 4.1 2.4
Alcohol Abuse 4.0 1.2
Depression 2.4 1.8

If this was in fact primarily a psychological issue, you would expect to see much more similar hazard ratios in the banded group compared to the bypass group.

Since it sounds like you had no prior alcoholism issues, you may consider trying to remember when these problems started and pinpoint what you were feeling when you first found alcohol so appealing and necessary.

I am so glad you posted your story. When I was going through this, no one ever posted stories like this, so I assumed it was just us. All everyone posted was the amazing first year success stories. It wasn't until I learned that this was happening to many people before I had the courage to post my story.

I've read on other forums that some people have had success using Naltrexone and the Sinclair method to quit drinking. I wish you the best in dealing with this.

madstaffyblonde1

http://tickers.wlsurgery.
Well have been out for a lovely meal tonight n have admitted to my hubby that I have a problem :) he was upset that I hadnt talked to him about it but said that he knew and that was why he kept going On at me which he did but I explained to him that it only made me secretive and that I had been hiding bottles in the bin ect, but I feel better in that he knows there is a problem and that we have both decided that the kids although teenagers don't need to no the truth of how bad my addiction is. I no my hubby will stand by me no matter what and he is trying to understand about transfer addiction although he is not a bypass patient himself most of my friends are so he is surrounded by it and will help me through this no matter how hard or how long it takes

penguina

I bet that feels a huge relief talking about it, and your hubby sounds lovely.

You will do this as you come across very strong and brave, and have brilliant support at home and with friends. All the best x

Magsy

all i can say is WELL DONE you. I have worked in the addiction field fot 15 years and you have taken the first step. Don't be to hard on yourself it could happen to anyone at anytime. We are all here to support you when nneded. Sending you a big wrap around hug x

ditzeeblonde

I'm so pleased & proud of you for what you are achieving... sounds like you have a rock solid relationship too & that will help you on this next step of your journey no end.

Good luck to you brave lady. xx

lamornamiss

wants to be a loser
Hi Hun I'm so glad you felt ready to tell you OH

I remember you said that your calcium was low even with all the right things in your diet (milk,cheese etc)
Well I have read that alcohol can stop your body absorbing Calcium.
So that might be the problem

madstaffyblonde1

http://tickers.wlsurgery.
Been out again with the hubby and we had a real In-depth chat about addictions and looking back I have been a very addictive person more than I ever thought and thank god my hubby has stood by me as this is now my 4th addiction he has had to get me through which I feel really guilty Over in the last 5 years I have been addicted to credit cards which was very expensive for my hubby then it was smoking then food and now wine and with his help I have beat them all and I will beat this :) but I've also realised that I need professional help as I seem to go from one addiction to another and I no I need help to put a stop to this once and for all

nulao

I'm glad you dealing with this with your husbands support because it will help you. I am 3week sleeved at the moment, and I am not a drinker because i never really liked the taste, but i come from a family with a few acholics, and fear I may end up replacing one addiction for another, what i do know is that when my family members attend AA on a regular basis this is when the do best. one day at a time is all you can do with any addiction, take all the help you can and good luck with the future

I have read this thread in full and am totally in awe of your courage and bravery for admitting that you have addiction problems. I also have a very very addictive personality and I know that the biggest step to recovery is admitting that addiction to yourself. I have very recently made a decision not to drink anymore, I am 18 months post op and didnt drink for almost a year after the op and then I found myself enjoying a glass of wine and the next time it was two etc until the night I drank 2.5 bottles about two months ago and do not remember getting home (but thankfully I was with someone close). I completely blacked out which never happened before the op and I was so sick the following day and basically was dumping all weekend from the sugar. I did drink a few times since but only a few glasses but thankfully my bypass has now decided that it does not like wine at all and the fear of my desire to think has brought about my decision not to drink ever again.

I have friends in AA and whilst it may not be for everyone I would think it is a good idea for you to go along and chat with like mind people. You will meet people there with "cross addictions" that will understand what you are going through even more than your partner but again it is your decision to go.

Thank you again for starting this thread and for being so very very brave and honest. Remember to look after yourself during this time and to love yourself.

Big hugs